Can you put traffic cones outside your house to stop people parking?

On 27/02/2020 at 12:12, pattricia said:

Would love to have done this many times !!!

6 hours ago, DavidFrance said:

not terribly difficult to find the culprit, eh....he/she presumably lives there ?   not to mention the trail of white dots up to the front door!

Wasn't that from one of those dodgy meet and greet airport companies, they tell punters the cars will be in secure storage then just dump them on surrounding streets knowing the owner will be out of the country.

Some shops also do this . Sainsbury's and Bargain Booze on Crookes each regularly  block off  a full parking  lay by  if they are expecting a delivery. These lay bys are public parking places  which will accommodate half a dozen vehicles each, but they are often blocked off for hours before the delivery arrives.Also ,try parking at Castleton.The majority of  residents there place no parking notices in their window  or put cones or bins on the road to prevent visitors parking.

Yea but then if there's no-where for the delivery truck to park it blocks the street and causes chaos.

On 28/02/2020 at 21:17, ivan edake said:

Some shops also do this . Sainsbury's and Bargain Booze on Crookes each regularly  block off  a full parking  lay by  if they are expecting a delivery. These lay bys are public parking places  which will accommodate half a dozen vehicles each, but they are often blocked off for hours before the delivery arrives.Also ,try parking at Castleton.The majority of  residents there place no parking notices in their window  or put cones or bins on the road to prevent visitors parking.

In terms of the residents of Castleton, do what I did. Move them. 

Last time I had one of the residents come out shouting that they were his cones and I had no right. I just told him to do one else I'd call the cops and have him charged with handling stolen goods and Sect 137 Highways Act (Cones were stamped inside with TMS & Sect 137 - Wilful obstruction of a public carriageway). He hastly retreated. 

On 27/02/2020 at 14:47, henrypond said:

But you can try the council ...

"If the vehicle is blocking access to your driveway you should first make enquiries with the neighbours to see if they know who the car belongs to so they can move it.

In most areas local councils have now taken on responsibility for enforcing parking provisions under what is known as Civil Parking Enforcement (CPE). Under CPE it's an offence to park a vehicle so that it blocks a dropped kerb driveway"

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q440.htm#

(Sheffield has CPE)

This only applies if the offending car is blocking a vehicle already on the driveway. If the offending car is blocking an empty driveway then CPE won't get involved.

It's also worth knowing that if the offending vehicle parks ON your drive there is little you can do. Police & CPE won't touch it & if you block it in by parking across your drive YOU can be given a penalty.

When we arranged for my dad’s funeral cortège to leave my house (in a parking hotspot) we contacted the police in advance and they provided cones and stated specific times for us to use them. Given this I think it’s unlikely you can get your own and use them at will

On 01/03/2020 at 18:38, Resident said:

In terms of the residents of Castleton, do what I did. Move them. 

Last time I had one of the residents come out shouting that they were his cones and I had no right. I just told him to do one else I'd call the cops and have him charged with handling stolen goods and Sect 137 Highways Act (Cones were stamped inside with TMS & Sect 137 - Wilful obstruction of a public carriageway). He hastly retreated. 

🤣

I live in a small town outside the main centre and someone has painted NO PARKING, INVALID on the pavement outside his house and then parked his car on that space! I've seen him getting out of his car and I can tell from his lively gait that he's no invalid. But the house is on a dangerous bend in the narrow, two way road where drivers cannot see round the corner easily, so is he justified?

Edited by woolyhead

7 hours ago, woolyhead said:

I live in a small town outside the main centre and someone has painted NO PARKING, INVALID on the pavement outside his house and then parked his car on that space! I've seen him getting out of his car and I can tell from his lively gait that he's no invalid. But the house is on a dangerous bend in the narrow, two way road where drivers cannot see round the corner easily, so is he justified?

If he's  painted it himself then no.

Yes, if you're called Boswells and have a chicken pot in the middle of the table!!! 😂😂😂

On 10/03/2020 at 09:20, Green Slime said:

If you are having a street party then you can put cones and a road closed sign up providing you tell the council and fire department of the location, date and time at least 2 weeks in advance.

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/home/business/licences-permits-registrations/street-party-licences.html

You don't tell the council, you ask the council.