When is it ok to have an abortion?

On 03/06/2019 at 14:12, LizzieBirdswrth said:

Whilst speaking to a friend today I was a little taken aback by his stance on abortion. He believes a women has the right to have a termination right up to the due date even if neither the baby or the mother is in any danger as he believes a women's right to choose is the number one priority. I just cant get my head around this and feel that as soon as the fetus is viable then the choice to have a termination should not be just the mothers choice.

What are your thoughts on this? Is my friend right?

Absolutely and totally with your friend.    My body, my choice.

You think you should be allowed to have a termination, because you want to, at say, 8 months and 27 days?

Guest makapaka
2 hours ago, kaytie said:

Absolutely and totally with your friend.    My body, my choice.

So a baby is usually born after say 9 months. so after 8 months and 31 days you think that baby can still be aborted morally and ethically?

what is the difference between doing that and killing it the following day immediately after it is born? 

I agree women should have a choice to abort - I think the current timelines for having an abortion are correct though. 

49 minutes ago, makapaka said:

So a baby is usually born after say 9 months. so after 8 months and 31 days you think that baby can still be aborted morally and ethically?

what is the difference between doing that and killing it the following day immediately after it is born? 

I agree women should have a choice to abort - I think the current timelines for having an abortion are correct though. 

What do you think the medical procedure would be to terminate a pregnancy at 8 months and 31 days (9 months)?

9 minutes ago, SnailyBoy said:

What do you think the medical procedure would be to terminate a pregnancy at 8 months and 31 days (9 months)?

If you're going to say that it would be terminated by induction (for example), then you're playing word games as we're discussing abortion, not having a child.

2 hours ago, MAC33 said:

Abortion at any stage is murder in my mind.

"the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another."

So you're saying that immediately after an egg is fertilised, it's a human being?

1 hour ago, makapaka said:

Careful now, some on here will take issue with your post, on the basis that morality (and/or ethics) isn't a sufficently-valid basis for objecting to the principle of very late terminations (OP: "up to the due date") out of free, non-medically-justified choice ;)

I've tried to raise that issue some time ago in the thread, but apparently I'm wrong and women should be entitled to terminate pregnancies as late as they want, on whatever ground however casual it may be (...I'm actually very glad to be wrong).

Edited by L00b

25 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

If you're going to say that it would be terminated by induction (for example), then you're playing word games as we're discussing abortion, not having a child.

Actually you're playing the word games yourself, you're using the term abortion in the sense that it would automatically result the the death of the foetus, viable or not.

So, what medical procedure would be used to terminate a pregnancy at nine months?

For example, a woman at the end of her tether, shouting 'I want this thing out of me, right now'

What do you think would happen?

Edited by SnailyBoy

5 minutes ago, SnailyBoy said:

Edited by SnailyBoy
Dup post

Guest makapaka
14 minutes ago, SnailyBoy said:

Actually you're playing the word games yourself, you're using the term abortion in the sense that it would automatically result the the death of the foetus, viable or not.

So, what medical procedure would be used to terminate a pregnancy at nine months?

For example, a woman at the end of her tether, shouting 'I want this thing out of me, right now'

What do you think would happen?

In what circumstances do abortions occur where a death isn't the result?

58 minutes ago, makapaka said:

In what circumstances do abortions occur where a death isn't the result?

None as far as I know, that's my point. You've used 'aborted' below to attempt to shore up an argument that female bodily autonomy should be limited because they may choose to 'abort' at 9 months.

This may help you https://edition.cnn.com/2019/02/06/health/late-term-abortion-explainer/index.html

Especially this part " As someone who used to self-identify as anti-choice, I can attest that the biggest misunderstanding about abortion is the framework of hypotheticals vs. reality. All pregnancies carry risks, but some much more than others, and it is the job of the patient to weigh risks and benefits in all medical decisions. Not politicians. Not journalists. Not strangers on Twitter."

How does it feel to sound like Donald Trump?

' Trump's contention that babies can be killed after birth is one he referenced in his State of the Union address earlier this year, when he called on Congress "to pass legislation to prohibit the late-term abortion of children." He said this right after he first accused New York lawmakers of cheering for "legislation that would allow a baby to be ripped from the mother's womb moments before birth" and then said Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam "would execute a baby after birth." '

2 hours ago, makapaka said:

Once again, what  medical procedure would be used to terminate a pregnancy at 8 months and 31 days (9 months)?

Edited by SnailyBoy