When is it ok to have an abortion?

7 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

So your position is that a woman should be able to kill an unborn baby that's within days of its natural birth.

At what point does that right to kill end? After birth? What if the umbilical cord is still attached? There comes a point where the "part of a woman's body" isn't actually that at all, but a human in its own right. 

Where did I say that?

I'd be interested what you think the medical process would be for terminating a pregnancy within a few days of a due date.

Would it be different to what happens now?

Edited by SnailyBoy

Just now, SnailyBoy said:

Where did I say that?

I'd be interested what the process would be for terminating a pregnancy within a few days of a due date.

Would it be different to what happens now?

You said it in your last post.

Abortions at near due date are illegal so there is no process currently. Why do you think the process matters so much? It's the morality being debated, not the method.

Guest makapaka
47 minutes ago, SnailyBoy said:

My position is that the woman has the right to choose, not you or the state.  Still waiting  for your argument for why the state should limit the rights of a woman to choose what happens to her body btw?

As for your question, let's say 'terminate pregnancy' rather than your loaded definition of abort. It kind of suggests that any process to 'abort' would require the death of the foetus (prevent the future life of the unborn) and as we know there's the question of viability, especially in later stages of pregnancy, particularly considering your weird 8 months and 31 days example.

I don't want you to go all D Trump again.

Just so I understand as this isn’t really an answer to the question I put to you;

So at what point  do you believe that women should be able to exercise her choice to terminate the pregnancy (that being to not have a baby at the end of the pregnancy)?

at any time during the 9 months or only upto a certain time?

Edited by makapaka

Just now, makapaka said:

Just so I understand as this isn’t really an answer to the question I put to you;

So at what do you believe  the women should be able to exercise her choice to terminate the pregnancy (that being to not have a baby at the end of the pregnancy)?

at any time during the 9 months or only upto a certain time?

Ah, so we're not automatically talking about the death of the viable foetus.

I think the woman should have the right to choose to terminate her pregnancy at any time, to protect the welfare of the woman concerned.

Oh, still waiting for your argument for why the state should limit the rights of a woman to choose what happens to her body?

Do you have one?

1 minute ago, SnailyBoy said:

Ah, so we're not automatically talking about the death of the viable foetus.

I think the woman should have the right to choose to terminate her pregnancy at any time, to protect the welfare of the woman concerned.

Oh, still waiting for your argument for why the state should limit the rights of a woman to choose what happens to her body?

Do you have one?

Why not answer the question without caveats.

Should a woman be allowed to choose (ie. not for medical reasons) to abort the baby days before its due date?

16 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

You said it in your last post.

Abortions at near due date are illegal so there is no process currently. Why do you think the process matters so much? It's the morality being debated, not the method.

I didn't. I said the women should have the right to choose.

They are not illegal, they can be performed out after 24 weeks in certain circumstances – for example, if the mother's life is at risk or the child would be born with a severe disability.

2 minutes ago, SnailyBoy said:

I didn't. I said the women should have the right to choose.

They are not illegal, they can be performed out after 24 weeks in certain circumstances – for example, if the mother's life is at risk or the child would be born with a severe disability.

Should a woman be allowed to choose (ie. not for medical reasons) to abort the baby days before its due date?

23 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Why not answer the question without caveats.

Should a woman be allowed to choose (ie. not for medical reasons) to abort the baby days before its due date?

The caveats were added by the previous poster (that being to not have a baby at the end of the pregnancy). I

Not for medical reasons, what's the scenario?

You may want to have a look at this, while you think about it (it's been previously posted)

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/02/06/health/late-term-abortion-explainer/index.html

"It's important to remember, whether in a discussion about abortion care or any other component of care, that these are complicated, nuanced circumstances that affect the course of real people's lives.
With new law, Ohio bans common abortion procedure

Particular to abortion care later in pregnancy, I would urge everyone to exercise more compassion. It's important to acknowledge that we simply cannot possibly know the circumstances of every pregnancy or the challenge of making decisions when things go terribly awry.
Abortion later in pregnancy is not used as an alternative to delivering healthy women's full-term, viable pregnancies. Additionally, it's callous to suggest that healthy women with viable pregnancies at term abruptly change their minds and seek abortion care as the solution."

Are you one of the callous ones?

Edited by SnailyBoy

15 minutes ago, SnailyBoy said:

Do you have one?

The state shouldn't necessarily be obliged to facilitate abortions.

Just now, Dontquoteme said:

The state shouldn't necessarily be obliged to facilitate abortions.

Really, care to expand on that?

21 minutes ago, SnailyBoy said:

The caveats were added by the previous poster (that being to not have a baby at the end of the pregnancy). I

Not for medical reasons, what's the scenario?

You may want to have a look at this, while you think about it (it's been previously posted)

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/02/06/health/late-term-abortion-explainer/index.html

"It's important to remember, whether in a discussion about abortion care or any other component of care, that these are complicated, nuanced circumstances that affect the course of real people's lives.
With new law, Ohio bans common abortion procedure

Particular to abortion care later in pregnancy, I would urge everyone to exercise more compassion. It's important to acknowledge that we simply cannot possibly know the circumstances of every pregnancy or the challenge of making decisions when things go terribly awry.
Abortion later in pregnancy is not used as an alternative to delivering healthy women's full-term, viable pregnancies. Additionally, it's callous to suggest that healthy women with viable pregnancies at term abruptly change their minds and seek abortion care as the solution."

Are you one of the callous ones?

Should a woman be allowed to choose (ie. not for medical reasons) to abort the baby days before its due date?

12 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Should a woman be allowed to choose (ie. not for medical reasons) to abort the baby days before its due date?

You really are callous.

Are you really suggesting that's a solution for healthy women with viable pregnancies at term, what actually goes through your mind?

Come up with your scenario, I want to read it.

Edited by SnailyBoy