When is it ok to have an abortion?

9 minutes ago, SnailyBoy said:

You really are callous.

Are you really suggesting that's a solution for healthy women with viable pregnancies at term, what actually goes through your mind?

Come up with your scenario, I want to read it.

It's not my scenario, it's the OP's. I've made my thoughts about it quite clear. How about you do the same and answer the question?

Should a woman be allowed to choose (ie. not for medical reasons) to abort the baby days before its due date?

Edited by WiseOwl182

Just now, WiseOwl182 said:

It's not my scenario, I've made my thoughts about it quite clear. How about you do the same and answer the question?

Should a woman be allowed to choose (ie. not for medical reasons) to abort the baby days before its due date?

I've made my thoughts quite clear too.

Of course it's your scenario, you proposed it, particularly the caveat 'not for medical reasons'.

No one in reality suggests that healthy women would use abortion as a solution to a full term viable pregnancy.

Well no, there's Trump, he's done it.

Come to think of it, you sound a lot like him too.

7 minutes ago, SnailyBoy said:

No one in reality suggests that healthy women would use abortion as a solution to a full term viable pregnancy.

Should they be able to use it?

4 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Should they be able to use it?

Give an example why they would want to.

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, SnailyBoy said:

Ah, so we're not automatically talking about the death of the viable foetus.

I think the woman should have the right to choose to terminate her pregnancy at any time, to protect the welfare of the woman concerned.

Oh, still waiting for your argument for why the state should limit the rights of a woman to choose what happens to her body?

Do you have one?

What if it’s not to protect welfare - it’s just personal choice? 

When then - still anytime? 

3 minutes ago, makapaka said:

What if it’s not to protect welfare - it’s just personal choice? 

When then - still anytime? 

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/02/06/health/late-term-abortion-explainer/index.html

"Abortion later in pregnancy is not used as an alternative to delivering healthy women's full-term, viable pregnancies. Additionally, it's callous to suggest that healthy women with viable pregnancies at term abruptly change their minds and seek abortion care as the solution."

Your hypotheticals are really narrowing.

Maybe you can give an example of how that would happen in reality, we can then dig deeper to see if it holds up to scrutiny?

18 minutes ago, SnailyBoy said:

Give an example why they would want to.

That's not the question. Stop deflecting.

Should they be able to?

Just now, WiseOwl182 said:

That's not the question. Stop deflecting.

Should they be able to?

Yes, a woman should have the the right to choose.

Do I think a healthy woman with a viable full term pregnancy would want to choose that option rather than the alternative?  - Not for a second.

Guest makapaka
13 minutes ago, SnailyBoy said:

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/02/06/health/late-term-abortion-explainer/index.html

"Abortion later in pregnancy is not used as an alternative to delivering healthy women's full-term, viable pregnancies. Additionally, it's callous to suggest that healthy women with viable pregnancies at term abruptly change their minds and seek abortion care as the solution."

Your hypotheticals are really narrowing.

Maybe you can give an example of how that would happen in reality, we can then dig deeper to see if it holds up to scrutiny?

I can’t give an example of how it would happen - nor can you confirm it never would.

So nhs abortion guidelines state 

Medical and surgical abortions cangenerally only be carried out up to 24 weeks of pregnancy. But in exceptional circumstances an abortion can take place after 24 weeks – for example, if there's a risk to life or there are problems with the baby's development.

So this is in line with the comments by the doctors in the link you posted.

So which part of it do you think should be changed because if it’s nothing than we agree and you can apologise for comparing me to Donald trump.

if something does need changing please explain why? 

10 minutes ago, SnailyBoy said:

Yes, a woman should have the the right to choose.

Do I think a healthy woman with a viable full term pregnancy would want to choose that option rather than the alternative?  - Not for a second.

So you have confirmed that you believe a woman should have the right to choose to abort a baby at almost 9 months.

Now, explain the difference between "aborting" the baby the day before it's birthdate, and murdering it the day after? Why do you think the former should be the woman's choice, but (presumably) the latter illegal by the state? What has changed so drastically in a day?

Edited by WiseOwl182

17 minutes ago, makapaka said:

I can’t give an example of how it would happen - nor can you confirm it never would.

So nhs abortion guidelines state 

Medical and surgical abortions cangenerally only be carried out up to 24 weeks of pregnancy. But in exceptional circumstances an abortion can take place after 24 weeks – for example, if there's a risk to life or there are problems with the baby's development.

So this is in line with the comments by the doctors in the link you posted.

So which part of it do you think should be changed because if it’s nothing than we agree and you can apologise for comparing me to Donald trump.

if something does need changing please explain why? 

''nor can you confirm it never would' You want me to confirm a negative?

I posted a statement from a healthcare worker in the US which I'm pretty sure reflects the situation in this country when it comes to healthy women and full term viable pregnancies.

Isn't that good enough for you?

I compared you to Trump because your hyperbole in earlier posts was comparable to his. No apology required, sorry.

8 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

So you have confirmed that you believe a woman should have the right to choose to abort a baby at almost 9 months.

Now, explain the difference between "aborting" the baby the day before it's birthdate, and murdering it the day after? Why do you think the former should be the woman's choice, but (presumably) the latter illegal by the state? What has changed so drastically in a day?

You'll also notice where I said I didn't think it would happen for a second.

What I think will happen, and what happens in reality is that the healthy woman will opt to terminate the pregnancy using a C Section or induction.

Unless you can come up with another equally realistic scenario?

Edited by SnailyBoy

Guest makapaka
3 minutes ago, SnailyBoy said:

''nor can you confirm it never would' You want me to confirm a negative?

I posted a statement from a healthcare worker in the US which I'm pretty sure reflects the situation in this country when it comes to healthy women and full term viable pregnancies.

Isn't that good enough for you?

I compared you to Trump because your hyperbole in earlier posts was comparable to his. No apology required, sorry.

You'll also notice where I said I didn't think it would happen for a second.

What I think will happen, and what happens in reality is that the healthy woman will terminate the pregnancy using a C Section or induction?

Unless you can come up with another realistic scenario?

You’ve not answered the question again.

what needs to be changed about the existing nhs guidelines -  nothing or something?