Accordion busker next to John Lewis

Hi there

I am wondering if there is anything that can be done about a busker in the city centre (next to Stone the Crows/John Lewis)?

I understand that they try to earn some money, and that it's better than begging... but when you hear a guy always playing (pretty badly btw) only 4-5 tunes, switching between then with every 10-15(!) seconds, every day all day Mon to Fri January to December... It just gets so annoying! On those rare occasions when he's not around there is a guy with a guitar, and he's absolutely brilliant, plays something neutral, not too loud (you can't compare frequencies of a guitar with an accordion) but he's not coming that often as the place is always occupied by this "accordionist". Yes, I did put it in brackets as in my view he's utterly horrible!

I try to use headphones/earphones and listen to noisli's white noise but by the end of the day my ears hurt so much that I feel really uncomfortable. I'm also not sure it's healthy to use earphones for 8 hours a day every day. Plus knowing that there's no escape and you will have to face this problem again tomorrow does not help.

Any ideas what to do? Is there a chance to speak with City council to shift this guy somewhere further from offices and closer to the high street (in my understanding there're no offices, only shops there, he may even raise more money there)? Or what?

Hi there

I am wondering if there is anything that can be done about a busker in the city centre (next to Stone the Crows/John Lewis)?

I understand that they try to earn some money, and that it's better than begging... but when you hear a guy always playing (pretty badly btw) only 4-5 tunes, switching between then with every 10-15(!) seconds, every day all day Mon to Fri January to December... It just gets so annoying! On those rare occasions when he's not around there is a guy with a guitar, and he's absolutely brilliant, plays something neutral, not too loud (you can't compare frequencies of a guitar with an accordion) but he's not coming that often as the place is always occupied by this "accordionist". Yes, I did put it in brackets as in my view he's utterly horrible!

I try to use headphones/earphones and listen to noisli's white noise but by the end of the day my ears hurt so much that I feel really uncomfortable. I'm also not sure it's healthy to use earphones for 8 hours a day every day. Plus knowing that there's no escape and you will have to face this problem again tomorrow does not help.

Any ideas what to do? Is there a chance to speak with City council to shift this guy somewhere further from offices and closer to the high street (in my understanding there're no offices, only shops there, he may even raise more money there)? Or what?

You have to have a licence to busk, so the Council should have his details. Have a word with them.

Alternatively, you could arrange for someone to stand next to him and play electric guitar, loudly and aggressively. He'd soon clear off.

I know exactly who you mean. The lack of variety in his repertoire is astounding - you'd imagine he'd even bore himself with the amount of repetition. The same 8-bar excerpt of "Despacito" seems to pop up every few minutes.

You have to have a licence to busk.

You don't.

I know exactly who you mean. The lack of variety in his repertoire is astounding - you'd imagine he'd even bore himself with the amount of repetition. The same 8-bar excerpt of "Despacito" seems to pop up every few minutes.

My other problem is that I know the songs/tunes he plays! For my colleagues he's just annoyingly repetitive and loud, whereas for me it sounds sort of like: "Every night in my dreams I see you I feel you that is how I know you go on" *here he tries to switch smoothly from one tune to another* "Show must go on Inside my heart is breaking My make-up may be flaking" and then again the Titanic theme. In a circle. Every 10 seconds. For the whole day. Every day.

When I hear the first accords about 9.15 (yes, he's regular and stays there for nearly the whole day) I'm about to start crying. Then put my headphones on, sigh deeply and continue working.

There was a mental health awareness week last week, they talked a lot not to get stressed at work, that's why I said "enough is enough, I need to try to do something". Ill try to get some thoughts/advices from here and then probably try to contact City Council...

---------- Post added 24-05-2018 at 13:11 ----------

You have to have a licence to busk, so the Council should have his details. Have a word with them.

What would I ask/tell them? That I can't work because someone tries to get some money for a living instead of begging?..

I'm not being sarcastic. I understand that it's a complicated subject (one person working but at the same disturbing other people's work), and if this guy was granted a licence in the first instance, it meant the city council were happy with him, no? :confused: Don't know...

It might be worth asking the store what they think about it, i'e , is it affecting business, etc ?

18/04/2013

BUSKERS AND STREET ENTERTAINERS IN SHEFFIELD CITY CENTRE

CODE OF CONDUCT

You do not need to obtain a permit to busk in Sheffield but we ask that you abide by this Code of Conduct.

The Code of Conduct sets out your obligations and you are requested to comply with its requirements. In particular, it is important that you should avoid causing annoyance or disturbance by always having consideration for the general public and for the occupiers of premises in the City. You must also have regard to the needs and rights of the shopkeepers and other business proprietors.

WE REQUEST THAT YOU DO NOT BUSK ON BARKERS POOL MONDAY TO FRIDAY.

Do’s and Don’ts

1. Within your designated space you must not stand/sit, or spread out your equipment etc. so as to cause an obstruction of the highway (footpath),

entrances/exits to shops, phone boxes, post boxes, cash machines or to shop

window displays.

2. Entertainers shall not make use of the street furniture, such as public seats, lampposts, planting and railings

3. Pitches chosen must satisfy the above criteria and must not be within 50

metres of another busker.

4. If you want to collect money for charity contact our Licensing Section on

0114 2734264 or [email protected] for a permit.

Otherwise you must not actively collect money. This includes asking for money verbally or using a sign. However you can make available a box, hat, musical

instrument case or other similar object to collect money.

5. The selling of any merchandise such as tapes, CD’s and Tshirts is not permitted and would be an offence for which you could be prosecuted.

6. Amplifiers and loudspeakers may only be used at the discretion of the City

Centre Management Team and if so at reasonable levels so as not to cause a

nuisance. Mains or generated power amplifiers are not permitted.

7. Busking and entertainment should normally only take place between 10.00am and 6.00pm, with performances lasting a maximum of 3 hours, and not return to the same place or within 50 metres within 3 hours.

8. Entertainers should not perform in a manner, which maybe considered

dangerous to themselves or the general public, and shall not dress or say

anything which is likely to cause alarm, distress or offence to a member of the

public.

At times you may be requested by the Police, City Centre Ambassador or Council Officer to move location or adjust the volume if we receive a complaint.

Please help us to help you by complying with this Code of Conduct.

CityCentre Management Team

Town Hall

Pinstone Street

Sheffield

S1 2HH

Tel: 0114 273 6895

Email:[email protected]

WE REQUEST THAT YOU DO NOT BUSK ON BARKERS POOL MONDAY TO FRIDAY.

7. Busking and entertainment should normally only take place between 10.00am and 6.00pm, with performances lasting a maximum of 3 hours, and not return to the same place or within 50 metres within 3 hours.

These points are definitely a start! Thanks a lot! :love:

What makes Barkers Pool so special?.

Angel1.

Why don’t you have a word with him and tell him to sort his repetitive act out?