Election Candidates and results 2018

nutters and hateful individuals

Why are there fewer "nutters and hateful individuals" ?

Now that Jeffrey Shaw is a candidate, can we assume that he will avoid moderating, or contributing to any political threads until after the election?

For the last decade or so we have applied a policy of voluntary self-removal from politics threads which covers all candidates in elections, to prevent any potential bias on forum threads and any one candidate or party potentially having more influence or promotion space than any other.

This applies equally to any candidate who happens to be on the forum team.

The only exception to this is if, as has happened in some years, representatives of any of the parties appear on threads to answer questions posted by forum users.

It's also worth noting that we do not allow direct links to the website of any political party to be posted on any thread, whether discussing anything with a candidate or between voters.

If anything the polarisation of politics in the last few years and the behaviour various campaign groups has made incidents more common, you'd think we lived in a civil and tolerant society but that's not clear if you're looking at how political campaign groups engage with each other.

Are we expected to also vote for a Mayor in the May elections?

I haven't heard anything about it, and don't even know who the candidates are.

For the last decade or so we have applied a policy of voluntary self-removal from politics threads which covers all candidates in elections, to prevent any potential bias on forum threads and any one candidate or party potentially having more influence or promotion space than any other.

This applies equally to any candidate who happens to be on the forum team.

The only exception to this is if, as has happened in some years, representatives of any of the parties appear on threads to answer questions posted by forum users.

It's also worth noting that we do not allow direct links to the website of any political party to be posted on any thread, whether discussing anything with a candidate or between voters.

That is good to know. It sounds like a robust policy that should remove most conflicts of interest.

The Q and A sessions would be a great addition to the forum. I do hope that they happen.

I’m still perturbed by the idea that a candidate in a local election can also have editorial control of a large Internet forum.

Honestly :huh:, a hard left , Corbyn lover , but not up to date with current politics and local elections :confused:

---------- Post added 07-04-2018 at 23:41 ----------

That is good to know. It sounds like a robust policy that should remove most conflicts of interest.

The Q and A sessions would be a great addition to the forum. I do hope that they happen.

I’m still perturbed by the idea that a candidate in a local election can also have editorial control of a large Internet forum.

Naïve , sorry to jump in but can you shed any light on my question on the Omara thread ? sorry mods but I cant get an answer :sad:

Honestly :huh:, a hard left , Corbyn lover , but not up to date with current politics and local elections :confused:

---------- Post added 07-04-2018 at 23:41 ----------

Naïve , sorry to jump in but can you shed any light on my question on the Omara thread ? sorry mods but I cant get an answer :sad:

Wrong thread Hackey, but if you go to his website, you can sign up for his newsletter. It contains enough info to satisfy your fanboy type interest in him.

Here’s the address in case Google is out in Hackenthorpe.

https://www.jaredomara.co.uk/

There's a list of candidates on Wikipedia.

Most parties seem to be focusing on the council elections on the assumption this will be a walkover for Labour.

If anything the polarisation of politics in the last few years and the behaviour various campaign groups has made incidents more common, you'd think we lived in a civil and tolerant society but that's not clear if you're looking at how political campaign groups engage with each other.

Maybe people have started to care more?

We've had 30+ years of vitually no choice (New Labour and the Tories were arguably almost the same party,) so there didn't seem much point in voting. The politicians had it easy. Whereas now, there's everything to play for. People have hopefully been energised into paying attention and taking sides.

Maybe people have started to care more?

We've had 30+ years of vitually no choice (New Labour and the Tories were arguably almost the same party,) so there didn't seem much point in voting. The politicians had it easy. Whereas now, there's everything to play for. People have hopefully been energised into paying attention and taking sides.

If that was the case, then “people” would know who represents which party, and who is standing for mayor.

Nobody is energised. Most people are stupefied and don’t know who is up for election , or what they stand for