Sheffield United v Sheffield Wednesday 12/01/18

If money is such a big factor in success why did it take the richest club in L1 (by some margin) six seasons to get out of it?

Wrong again.

You do realise that last season when we won the league by 14 points that Bolton’s budget was nearly double that of the Blades’.

Top sides don’t pick up 6 points out of 27, you’ve peaked.

No one was celebrating a 0-0, they we’re celebrating a hard working performance in game where we were expected and united fans expected us to easily lose, the players have been out of form, unfit and lacking confidence a defeat last night would have been a further set back but it didn’t happen. The bitterness from some today makes it all the more sweeter, we’ll both be in this division next season let’s see what transpires.

You and your crystal ball “ United fans expected us to lose easily”. Quite the opposite I wouldn’t have been surprised to see Wednesday nick it.

What you really mean is “ Wednesday fans expected to lose heavily”, you being the worst culprit, you were so desperate to prepare for the worst.....

Anyone with any knowledge of Sheffield football knows that derby matches never go to form and the underdog often triumphs.

Just celebrate your draw :hihi:

Thanks for the 4 points and good luck to the former lead singer with Sparks in his new role as manager at s6

---------- Post added 14-01-2018 at 10:20 ----------

Wrong again.

You do realise that last season when we won the league by 14 points that Bolton’s budget was nearly double that of the Blades’.

He doesn’t need facts, just his crystal ball and and a prejudiced mind.

A bit like Trump in a way, if it comes into his mind it must be true :hihi:

---------- Post added 14-01-2018 at 10:21 ----------

Or at the least a tide turning, but we'll see, hopefully hes knocked some sense into the players we have that arent injured, hopefully some of those injured will be coming back in the coming weeks. And hopefully he gets rid of some deadwood, like loovens sadly, aged and past it now :(

He’s inherited a team of cloggers and dirty players, five bookings and a sending off

---------- Post added 14-01-2018 at 10:22 ----------

Its weird, our defence has been shoddy of late, so we went to 3 defenders with midfield helping out....and it worked, it held firm.

Is that a ploy by the manager to get the midfield running around more, back to defend aswell as attack?

It helps if you offer nothing up front

---------- Post added 14-01-2018 at 10:24 ----------

Well done to Wednesday for a hard earned and workmanlike point

The Donald Trump of Sheffield Forum.Like it.:)

Bitter post of the day award, it’s a mans game and a derby, your Jessie’s need to man up, Loovens second yellow was a clumsy trip not a foul.

Someone said united played the better football - they didn’t, they passed it about nicely without doing any harm, it wont and hasn’t been winning you enough games. Our manager had four days to prepare Wilders been waiting with every fibre of his being for this.

The game doesn’t show how far United have, the final position in the table will tell that and it won’t be top 6.

For the record the best bit of football all night was the build up to Wallace’s shot from the left.

You are being ironic aren’t you ?

---------- Post added 14-01-2018 at 10:27 ----------

The Donald Trump of Sheffield Forum.Like it.:)

Cheers. Similar grasp on reality

Top sides don’t pick up 6 points out of 27, you’ve peaked.

No one was celebrating a 0-0, they we’re celebrating a hard working performance in game where we were expected and united fans expected us to easily lose, the players have been out of form, unfit and lacking confidence a defeat last night would have been a further set back but it didn’t happen. The bitterness from some today makes it all the more sweeter, we’ll both be in this division next season let’s see what transpires.

Well we are still top six, you are 17th, with your multi million pound duds.

Not sure how you think your lads went from unfit, to fit, in a matter of days, that is impossible.

And who said it would be an easy game for SUFC?, not me, I predicted a tight game, end to end with maybe a goal nicking it. I was right, although "end to end" tended to be your end more than ours.

Our first season back in this league, and we are doing what it took your side years to do. We were briefly top of the table, something your lads can only dream about.

---------- Post added 14-01-2018 at 10:32 ----------

You tried the Caledonian brewery Coast to Coast from the 'Lane craft bar Grappler? Not seen it on sale anywhere else.

---------- Post added 13-01-2018 at 15:04 ----------

Can't argue with much of that. :)

Not tried Coast To Coast but sounds like I should! ;)

---------- Post added 14-01-2018 at 10:35 ----------

Oh yes A top side that cant beat 10 men on your own back door :thumbsup:

No champagne m8 dark fruit or fosters for me mmm Bitter for you i take it :hihi:

6th place vs 17th place? I'll take 6th thanks! :thumbsup:

Dark Fruits or Fosters says it all, most people would not admit to drinking that! :hihi:

The big lump that came on for them towards the end, what was that, looked like he’d just been selling hot dogs outside, and the Wednesday team were so desperate for players ( due to the worst injury crisis of modern times) that they grabbed him and shoved an XXXL shirt on him.

WAWAW

If money is such a big factor in success why did it take the richest club in L1 (by some margin) six seasons to get out of it?

An interesting point, and if t'owd chancer really has spent ÂŁ150 million, buying the club, the players and the staff, how are they languishing in an embarrassing 17th place, it's almost like being back in t'owd Stewpot Gray's era. Maybe money can't buy you success, let's face it, you guys would know.

I suppose at the start of the season I would have been delighted with 4 points over the two games.

After all we'd spent a further 5 years in that 'pub league' and we hadn't the good fortune of having millions being spent on players in both fees and wages.

And yet today I feel disappointed that we only drew last night.

I suppose though without Coutts, Brooks, Freeman we were always disadvantaged and with the opposition playing a striker worth (apparently) more than our whole team I should be pleased.

Wednesday reminded me of Bolton Wanderers - quite agricultural in their style of play. A red card and maybe Wallace should have gone as well.

It's hardly been progress that most Wednesdayites would have hoped for - all the advantages of the past 6 years (I include the wrongful imprisonment of our main striker) and they are pleased to come away with a point from the 'pub team'.

I suppose a worry now is that Carlos who fiercely backed these players to be promoted this season will come along and steal your best players.

Well that just shows you are far we have come in a short time.The reaction of the owls players at the end said it all. They were over the money as if they had won Real Madrid.Our players were disappointed and that says so much.Ours knew they had not performed well and if the truth is told apart from Derby have not performed well for a few weeks.The standards they have shown this season are a marker of what they are capable of and in the last few weeks they have fallen short.I thought the score reflected that and pointed to two sides struggling for form.A disappointing match .They both worked hard but were let down by poor crosses and wayward final balls.In a way it is a great complement when the opposition think they are triumphant by taking a point of us.Ok they had some first teamers missing but so did we but they still had a side that had cost three times more than ours did and you have to be honest they never looked three times better.In fact I thought we did edge it which also seams to be the general feeling amongst neauterals to

An interesting point, and if t'owd chancer really has spent ÂŁ150 million, buying the club, the players and the staff, how are they languishing in an embarrassing 17th place, it's almost like being back in t'owd Stewpot Gray's era. Maybe money can't buy you success, let's face it, you guys would know.

“£ 150,000,000” ? To get to 17th place ? Needs to spend another billion then to see improvement to at least 16th

---------- Post added 14-01-2018 at 10:44 ----------

Well that just shows you are far we have come in a short time.The reaction of the owls players at the end said it all. They were over the money as if they had won Real Madrid.Our players were disappointed and that says so much.Ours knew they had not performed well and if the truth is told apart from Derby have not performed well for a few weeks.The standards they have shown this season are a marker of what they are capable of and in the last few weeks they have fallen short.I thought the score reflected that and pointed to two sides struggling for form.A disappointing match .They both worked hard but were let down by poor crosses and wayward final balls.In a way it is a great complement when the opposition think they are triumphant by taking a point of us.Ok they had some first teamers missing but so did we but they still had a side that had cost three times more than ours did and you have to be honest they never looked three times better.In fact I thought we did edge it which also seams to be the general feeling amongst neauterals to

Disappointed with their dirty play though, for all they cost.

Rhodes looked disconsolate when he came off.

To be fair, drawing with the top sides in the league in recent weeks, like Villa and Derby, is not too bad.

Rhodes, Reach and Pudil cost around ÂŁ15 million for the three, if only we had that sort of money for those quality players :hihi:

It was a good point considering for us so of course the players were happy with the point. Always a chance of cards in a derby, doesn't make us a dirty side, loovens second yellow was clumbsy/unlucky rather than dirty, even his first was a decent try for the ball but unfortunately didn't time it right, still wasn't dirty.

It was fairly even and neither side can claim to of created the better chances, someonr has said playing the way we did was to detriment of attack but we created more chances than in many games this season so thats not correct.

Yes there wasn't many blades on here expecting it to be easy but I've seen it on facebook where they've said it will be an easy 3 points.

Anyway on to the next game, still plenty of points to play for so we still have the chance to claim bragging rights over league position yet but we'll see.

---------- Post added 14-01-2018 at 10:59 ----------

To be fair, drawing with the top sides in the league in recent weeks, like Villa and Derby, is not too bad.

Rhodes, Reach and Pudil cost around ÂŁ15 million for the three, if only we had that sort of money for those quality players :hihi:

Reach is finally showing why we paid what we did now he's not being played in defence so much. I still say it was worth the risk with Rhodes but not looking like a good investment now unless he has a great second half. Most blades would of been happy if it was them that had signed him so I don't see any problem us getting him, my only issue at the time was that it was the creativity that was the problem not the number of strikers we had

Ooooo it’s like someone’s poked a hornets nest this morning, the cost of our second string gets dearer by the hour, not so long ago we had loads of players that were over the hill and worth nowt not there all worth millions.

To put some records straight :-

Nobody celebrated a 0-0 draw, the celebration was for a show of fight and determination after an awful run and an expectation to get beaten, don’t flatter yourselves.

This is the worst season in three for SWFC, just be thankful you were still a loser league side in the previous two (particularly CC’s first season).

This game doesn’t show how far you’ve come it shows where you are in January 2018 and that’s a side that have faded after early promise and won one game in 10.

The £150m our chairman has spent (if that’s the true figure) has been on the actual purchase, essential ground improvements, staff, catering etc etc after nigh on 20yrs of mismanagement.

I said in a earlier thread that the sort of football Wilder plays (kick and rush) works in the short term but is never a long term strategy, take a screenshot of this and come back and see who was correct in 12 months time.