Government to let councils raise council tax 5.99%

Anyway, I expect our Labour council will indeed stiff us the full 5.99% citing Tory cuts as the reason.

The Tory government will indeed then blame our Labour council for raising council tax by such a high amount :|

And on and on and on it will go :roll:

Councils should raise 100% of their own taxes; and it should be made clear who is responsible for what.

What are national issues and what are local issues, the Government have told councils what to do in relation to weekly bin collections.

Leave it to the councils, if people don't like it, vote them out. Just set recycling laws, then let councils decide what to do.

Wasnt social care tagged on to the NHS, who is responsible for social care. I thought the reason people need care, was because they have an illness such as dementia or alzheimers.

I don't know the in's & out's of the council tax rise.

But I do remember years back getting a pamphlet through the letterbox that gave reasons why we had a rise that year.....to pay for the sodding fire service pension pot!!

I've no doubt the bulk of our council tax will continue to shore up the unimaginable black hole of Sheffield city council pension deficit and God knows what other perks we are all forced to commit too.

Absolutely sick to the back teeth of lining every buggers pockets. Why, in 2018 can't those in the public sector fund their own damn retirement package.

The money that is wasted by either benefit fraud and stupid public sector perks must run into the 100's of billions in this country.

Tax tax tax and even more sodding tax!!

Detest the effing lot of em!

Nobody lines my pockets - yet I'm forced by law to line every other buggers so it seems.

I dream of the day when AI (artificial intelligence) is perfected and able to run the financial needs of this country without some bent sod syponing money out. I cannot wait!!

Edited by mrcharlie

Nobody lines my pockets - yet I'm forced by law to line every other buggers so it seems.

I dream of the day when AI (artificial intelligence) is perfected and able to run the financial needs of this country without some bent sod syponing money out. I cannot wait!!

No pleasing you then, even the tax cutting Tories have just let it be raised else where.

Many complain about our councils and Government, but we are better than most.

Councils should raise 100% of their own taxes; and it should be made clear who is responsible for what.

What are national issues and what are local issues, the Government have told councils what to do in relation to weekly bin collections.

Leave it to the councils, if people don't like it, vote them out. Just set recycling laws, then let councils decide what to do.

Wasnt social care tagged on to the NHS, who is responsible for social care. I thought the reason people need care, was because they have an illness such as dementia or alzheimers.

If we do that then affluent areas get all the services and poor ones get diddly squat. Congratulations you've just created ghettos up and down the country.

---------- Post added 14-02-2018 at 11:51 ----------

I don't know the in's & out's of the council tax rise.

But I do remember years back getting a pamphlet through the letterbox that gave reasons why we had a rise that year.....to pay for the sodding fire service pension pot!!

I've no doubt the bulk of our council tax will continue to shore up the unimaginable black hole of Sheffield city council pension deficit and God knows what other perks we are all forced to commit too.

Absolutely sick to the back teeth of lining every buggers pockets. Why, in 2018 can't those in the public sector fund their own damn retirement package.

The money that is wasted by either benefit fraud and stupid public sector perks must run into the 100's of billions in this country.

That's a nice I'll informed rant. 3% of the rise by the way has to go directly into social care.

So sick of this Two Tier society we now find ourselves stuck in..the Public sector vs Private Sector only of course the private sector props up the public sector workforce. It angers me that I am forced by law to pay for a complete strangers perks and retirement package. What an absolute ****hole this country has become.

So, let's see if I'm right

Road tax is supposed to pay for the upkeep of Roads

NI is supposed to pay for the NHS (bear in mind we already pay our own dentist/opticians)

Income Tax and VAT goes to central government

Council Tax goes to local councils

Savings Tax goes to Central Gov

Inheritance Tax..Central Gov

Stamp Duty, Capital Gains Tax, Fuel Duty Tax, rip off prescription costs etc etc

So in essence we pay Tax when we earn it, Tax when we spend it, Tax when we save it and finally Tax when we die....

So, why the hell is this country in such a bad shape.

We all know why, don't we!!

EDIT : let's not forget rip off passport charges, Utilities Tax, Air travel tax...the list is just endless, pretty much like the colossal amounts of money taken from the British public every day

The slogan Rip Off Britain - never sounded so true!!

Edited by mrcharlie

So ........!

you need to take a minute to chill a bit

Guest makapaka
Just read the article below where it says the Tories have given local authorities the power to hit families with extra increases of up to 5.99%. I wonder how much SCC will put our council tax up. Just a guess but I bet it will be 5.99%.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/tories-approve-eye-watering-6-11723291

The government are just funding the lack of government investment in local authorities via council tax. Then you blame the council for the increase instead of them.

Have a think sometimes about why the council needs money.

So sick of this Two Tier society we now find ourselves stuck in..the Public sector vs Private Sector only of course the private sector props up the public sector workforce. It angers me that I am forced by law to pay for a complete strangers perks and retirement package. What an absolute ****hole this country has become.

So, let's see if I'm right

Road tax is supposed to pay for the upkeep of Roads

NI is supposed to pay for the NHS (bear in mind we already pay our own dentist/opticians)

Income Tax and VAT goes to central government

Council Tax goes to local councils

Savings Tax goes to Central Gov

Inheritance Tax..Central Gov

Stamp Duty, Capital Gains Tax, Fuel Duty Tax, rip off prescription costs etc etc

So in essence we pay Tax when we earn it, Tax when we spend it, Tax when we save it and finally Tax when we die....

So, why the hell is this country in such a bad shape.

We all know why, don't we!!

EDIT : let's not forget rip off passport charges, Utilities Tax, Air travel tax...the list is just endless, pretty much like the colossal amounts of money taken from the British public every day

The slogan Rip Off Britain - never sounded so true!!

No such thing as road tax, hasn't been since the 60s. You pay vehicle tax. It goes into a central pot. NI generates about £84bn, NHS bill per year is £116bn. I'm sure if you asked Jeremy hunt to trim £30bn or so off the bill, his eyes would light up.

Well that's a shock :) Nobody saw that one coming :hihi:

I did.

More cowardice, from a quisling Government.

They don’t have the balls to raise taxes themselves, so they starve Labour areas of funds and then invite them to raise local taxes to fill the gap.

Time to vote them out.

Not sure that you will like the analysis though. No matter how true it is.

No such thing as road tax, hasn't been since the 60s. You pay vehicle tax. It goes into a central pot. NI generates about £84bn, NHS bill per year is £116bn. I'm sure if you asked Jeremy hunt to trim £30bn or so off the bill, his eyes would light up.

Sorry, Road Tax...but you knew what I meant. It was actually intended to be for Roads at some point in history....

NI... The £30Bn shortfall....well maybe if the self employed actually paid correct NI contributions things might be different...Oh, hang on...how about the self employed actually paying income Tax too!!

The whole country is bent unless ofcourse you happen to one of the poor sods on PAYE system.