Dockless bike sharing scheme to launch in Sheffield

I've not seen one at the top of Stannington yet, people seem to get off at the bottom of the hill.

Fair one, though it won’t be long!

I've seen one up at Gleadless Townend.

Yes, I really meant that perhaps they would apprehend anyone they see riding one without a lock (suspicion of TWOC?), then do whatever their supposed to do when in possession of someone else's damaged/stolen property, although the rider might tell them he had found it in that condition and was returning it to a safer place!

Theft perhaps, TWOC is specific to motor vehicles.

If you're on one of the bikes without having unlocked it with the app, then you've stolen it. (It's irrelevant whether you did the damage or not - although that would be criminal damage in addition to theft) and any excuse about 'taking it somewhere safe' is also irrelevant unless you've reported it to the police already and they've asked you to bring it in (which they won't).

It isn't theft if I have no intention of keeping it.

The bikes have been put out on the streets to be used by anyone. This has been widely publicised.

If I come across one without a functioning lock and intend to ride it for a while and then leave it, I have not stolen it and the CPS wouldn't waste their time.

oFo could sue me for lost revenue, but seeing as they are currently free, that's not going to work either.

The bikes have been put out on the streets to be used by anyone. This has been widely publicised.

If I come across one without a functioning lock and intend to ride it for a while and then leave it, I have not stolen it and the CPS wouldn't waste their time.

oFo could sue me for lost revenue, but seeing as they are currently free, that's not going to work either.

Trust me, neither will the police!

Went for a walk today and saw one stood on its seat and handlebars. On the way back I noticed it had been pushed over. Picked it up, pulled down its stand and stood it how it should be stood. Not hard really. What's up with folk?

Don't know pal, seems obvious to me that is the city wants the scheme to work then we all have some responsibility to correct any damage (stand a bike up as you say) or report damage to ofo.

Other folk seem to want the scheme to fail and, rather than report damage to ofo, would sooner post about it on here with a few :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

they're reight twohats IMO

Fair point, so there's just the suspicion of criminal damage then.

Although if you're caught on the bike then a defence of "I was only borrowing it" won't be an uncommon one for anyone else caught with stolen property, I'm sure the courts have heard it before.

Don't know pal, seems obvious to me that is the city wants the scheme to work then we all have some responsibility to correct any damage (stand a bike up as you say) or report damage to ofo.

Other folk seem to want the scheme to fail and, rather than report damage to ofo, would sooner post about it on here with a few :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

they're reight twohats IMO

There's also a lot of people who couldn't give a damn either way though. I certainly wouldn't bother reporting a damaged bike - I don't want the company to fail, but I'm really not going to spend my time reporting damaged bikes when I have never used the scheme, and don't intend to!

It's not a charity- its a business aimed at making themselves profit- and I'm not about to start working for any business for free!

Fair point, so there's just the suspicion of criminal damage then.

Although if you're caught on the bike then a defence of "I was only borrowing it" won't be an uncommon one for anyone else caught with stolen property, I'm sure the courts have heard it before.

The courts have heard it before and its a very effective defence with the onus on the prosecution to prove otherwise. They heard it so much and it was so effective that legislation was passed that created another offence.

And thus the Manor TWOC'ers were born.

For motor vehicles specifically... Borrowing someones TV is unlikely to see you let off the charge of theft.