Will you fit winter tyres to your car this year?

Good points raised re temperature. Winter tyres are only more effective below 7 celcius, and in the last few years we've only managed a few days of snow each year, which didn't create any problems on the roads at all.

I was just going to say most of the posters on here must have done their driver theory many decades ago.

Anyone who has done their driver theory in recent years should know that winter tyres provide better stopping distances in colder temperatures because they contain higher rubber content unlike the 'all weather' tyres that start to harden like plastic when they're exposed to colder temperatures.

I was just going to say most of the posters on here must have done their driver theory many decades ago.

Anyone who has done their driver theory in recent years should know that winter tyres provide better stopping distances in colder temperatures because they contain higher rubber content unlike the 'all weather' tyres that start to harden like plastic when they're exposed to colder temperatures.

You've confused all weather tyres with summer tyres, which is what are fitted by default.

You've confused all weather tyres with summer tyres, which is what are fitted by default.

Whether you call them 'all weather' or 'summer' tyres is irrelevant. The point is they do not provide the same malleability or grip as winter tyres do in colder temperatures under 7 degrees.

You don't need snow & ice for winter tyres to start outperforming their 'all weather' or 'summer' counterparts. You simply need colder weather (-20'c to +7'c) and you'll get superior grip and better breaking distances from your winter tyres, even on completely dry surfaces.

Winter tyres are safer tyres in colder climates.

This message was approved by Continental tyres :thumbsup:.. just kidding!

Whether you call them 'all weather' or 'summer' tyres is irrelevant. The point is they do not provide the same malleability or grip as winter tyres do in colder temperatures under 7 degrees.

6mm instead of 1.7mm makes a difference in rain, do winter tyres have more gaps/tread, so less rubber is in contact with the road/snow, which would mean poorer breaking in summer.

Yes but they are generally a softer rubber. A book by paul hanley "the racing and high performance tyre" gives good info on this topic

I lived in Germany for 9 years and always fitted winter tyres purely because we had proper winters. There always seemed to be minus temperatures and snow every winter and I liked to travel south for the skiing.

However in the U.K. We very rarely get snow or freezing temperatures. I have a four wheel drive vehicle and change the tyres before reaching the minimum tread depth. I don't drive to excess speeds and I maintain a safe distance from the vehicle in front.

I have never felt the need to use winter tyres over here.

I can't believe you guys are sticking winter tyres on over yonder. I have lived in Southern Ontario for 36 years never had winter tyres or a 4 wheel drive and I have done long commutes when I worked (100k each way). Mind you the salter trucks and snow removers are pretty efficient here.However there are still lots of times when you have to battle the snow and freezing rain(nasty stuff). I found the best plan was a winter car(old beater) with good all season tyres and a strong heater. Bring out the good car in May. Driving in snow is not that bad once you learn to handle a vehicle in it. Can be fun at times when traffic is light lol

No because I’d be looking at £1,500 for a set

This countries weather is rarely that bad enough to warrant poncing about with "winter tyres".

I can't believe you guys are sticking winter tyres on over yonder. I have lived in Southern Ontario for 36 years never had winter tyres or a 4 wheel drive and I have done long commutes when I worked (100k each way). Mind you the salter trucks and snow removers are pretty efficient here.However there are still lots of times when you have to battle the snow and freezing rain(nasty stuff). I found the best plan was a winter car(old beater) with good all season tyres and a strong heater. Bring out the good car in May. Driving in snow is not that bad once you learn to handle a vehicle in it. Can be fun at times when traffic is light lol

I think you'll find that driving in Ontario with its 14 people/km2 is slightly different from driving in England with 400 or so/km2...

Having said that - our winters are so mild that there really is no urgent need.

I think you'll find that driving in Ontario with its 14 people/km2 is slightly different from driving in England with 400 or so/km2...

Having said that - our winters are so mild that there really is no urgent need.

I live in Toronto, there are 14 people every 2 feet LOL :help:

It's not irrelevant, they're different tyres.

Perhaps you should do some background reading so that you have an informed opinion.

---------- Post added 23-10-2017 at 07:24 ----------

How hilly is Ontario?

Good driving won't help you at all in Sheffield on summer tyres, with compacted snow on a typical hill.

Edit - Toronto, I don't remember seeing much in the way of hills there, a few gentle slopes perhaps.

Edited by Cyclone