Sheffield Wednesday feeling the pinch of FFP.

All well and good if it works, what if it doesn't.

Of the names you mention just having played in the Championship doesn't make you a Championship quality player, Leon Clarke and Ched Evans to name but two were totally out of thier depth.

---------- Post added 17-07-2017 at 16:52 ----------

I'd also suggest that £1.5m for a fullback in L1 is silly money.

---------- Post added 17-07-2017 at 16:55 ----------

Right thats my last word on this ridiculos thread, I might revive it later in the season. :thumbsup:

Firstly the two players that you single out.

Ched Evans scored 10 goals in 28 games for Norwich which puts him about on par with your strikers last season considering your leading goalscorers on 12 goals. He had a bad spell with us in the Championship but then again he was in a team that was on a downwards spiral and very much in decline at that point.

Therefore if we are forming opinions on limited periods / individual seasons, does this suggest that your 12 goal strikers are out of their depth? If twelves goals is the bar in which a player is considered to be of "Championship standard" then I consider Ched to be in with a very good chance of achieving that. Leon Clarke isn't going to be a first team player, in fact he may not even be a Sheffield United player yet. If he is however then he is very much fringe, rotational, sub, squad.

You have no real basis to write Ched off though.

In regards to the £1.5m spent on Brayford, was it really silly money in the context of the bigger picture?

The signing came on the back end of a really successful cup run that ended in the semi-finals at Wembley, a cup run in which Brayford as a loan player was a huge part. The prize money and TV rights alone will have pretty much covered a large chunk, if not all of Brayfords fee, therefore you could argue that Brayford was actually a free transfer for us as he was paid for by a brucey bonus cup run.

The fact that Brayford suddenly became a fan favourite helped the club to shift a good bit of merchandise and probably helped put a good few bums on seats as well. Therefore when you consider the whole bigger picture, we signed a player who had impressed quite a bit of loan using free money that was generating from a cup run. Not only was he adequate on the pitch but also he was a fans favourite which made it a good commercial opportunity as well.

It cost us what? Hardly silly money really was it considering the player himself agreed reduced terms to be at the clulb as well which made it all fall into FFP and into place.

Anything else?

And you may find this thread silly but all it does it outline things that your own manager has said, you may not agree with it and it may not match your opinion, however never the less it is still valid and backed up with a factual quotation and actual figures.

---------- Post added 17-07-2017 at 17:17 ----------

The previous poster said he refused to take one ....and i pointed out that wasn't the case....if you see it a different way then bully for you...

The Radio Sheffield section must close early on a Monday...:thumbsup:

---------- Post added 17-07-2017 at 16:33 ----------

One good year in six and you suddenly are experts in how to run a football club.....One swallow doesn't make a summer eh..?

Its a simple question,which i'll ask you for a third time,...which players have Wednesday spent,in your words,ridiculous amounts on.. ?

Your simple question was answered on one of my posts if you take the time to read them. Another poster asked me and I answered him. No need to be so rude, abrupt and demanding.

On being asked about signing two centre backs, Carlos Carvalhal told the star the following "Clubs are asking for money that we can’t pay and that is the reality so we must be careful".

is this about the rules? or just the club being sensible, we can buy players, but we need to buy the right players and not for silly money, throwing the money around doesnt help. buying sensibly can.

All well and good if it works, what if it doesn't.

Of the names you mention just having played in the Championship doesn't make you a Championship quality player, Leon Clarke and Ched Evans to name but two were totally out of thier depth.

---------- Post added 17-07-2017 at 16:52 ----------

I'd also suggest that £1.5m for a fullback in L1 is silly money.

[

I think Liverpool would definitely have paid that money for a player if they were in L1,how come you are calling it silly money now?,I thought you were all for it last week.:hihi:

is this about the rules? or just the club being sensible, we can buy players, but we need to buy the right players and not for silly money, throwing the money around doesnt help. buying sensibly can.

The bold most certainly. The club have been quite vocal of late in regards to how far they have pushed the FFP boundaries and in a sense I personally feel that they are now trying to make fans aware in hope of lowering the expectancy to continue signing players. The Rhodes deal had to be deferred and initially a loan in order to comply with FFP rules, this deal going through this season pretty much ties up the majority of any available funds without breaching rules.

This being why they now have to ship off more "dead wood" or shop on the cheap and hope players now come in and agree sensible wages, which wont be easy when so many players are already on high or differing wages.

The bold most certainly. The club have been quite vocal of late in regards to how far they have pushed the FFP boundaries and in a sense I personally feel that they are now trying to make fans aware in hope of lowering the expectancy to continue signing players. The Rhodes deal had to be deferred and initially a loan in order to comply with FFP rules, this deal going through this season pretty much ties up the majority of any available funds without breaching rules.

This being why they now have to ship off more "dead wood" or shop on the cheap and hope players now come in and agree sensible wages, which wont be easy when so many players are already on high or differing wages.

You have absolutely no idea of the finances of Sheffield Wednesday and equally no idea of the wage structure, can you link to any of the "quite vocal" statements from the club because I haven't seen one, if your quoting the manager he also said we wouldn't be signing Hooper or Rhodes, it's called not giving the game away and you've twisted his words anyway, I'll wait for the links to the other comments.

As for getting rid of dead wood you do it because that's what it is dead wood not through necessity, the players who've gone so far will hardly have made a difference anyway.

I fail to see completely what you are getting at here? The Premier League academy loanees may have turned out to be some of the most influential in the team however still accounted to a small percentage of recruitment into the club. Never the less a fantastic model of how these few loans can compliment a squad that is built shrewdly on a budget.

I am struggling to understand the last bit due to lack of grammar however should you have concerns about who the owners of our fixed assets actually are? I recommend view the accounts which outline this in full.

We are fine operating as we are. As revenue increases, we will grow with it and as our owners have said, "money will be available as and when the manager wants it".

I thought it would be easier to ask the diggers who owns their club (as it is they who are casting aspersions on our chairman and finance) .

As to the grammar I would be happy for you to correct it for me as I am ambidextrous.

I thought it would be easier to ask the diggers who owns their club (as it is they who are casting aspersions on our chairman and finance) .

As to the grammar I would be happy for you to correct it for me as I am ambidextrous.

The internet makes it incredibly simple to find the information therefore I suggest a simple search? In the same respects that it made it incredibly easy for me to obtain interviews and actually quotations that back up my debate with fact, which makes it far more than merely casting aspersions as you put it.

The internet makes it incredibly simple to find the information therefore I suggest a simple search? In the same respects that it made it incredibly easy for me to obtain interviews and actually quotations that back up my debate with fact, which makes it far more than merely casting aspersions as you put it.

Post the links for the ones of us that haven't the time or just name the interviewees or quoters.

You have absolutely no idea of the finances of Sheffield Wednesday and equally no idea of the wage structure, can you link to any of the "quite vocal" statements from the club because I haven't seen one, if your quoting the manager he also said we wouldn't be signing Hooper or Rhodes, it's called not giving the game away and you've twisted his words anyway, I'll wait for the links to the other comments.

As for getting rid of dead wood you do it because that's what it is dead wood not through necessity, the players who've gone so far will hardly have made a difference anyway.

Quote one: - When asked about whether FFP allows the club to spend £9m on Jordan Rhodes.

“The management of the chairman is doing very well, because he cares very much about the Financial Fair Play, which we must follow.

“If you don’t adhere to FFP and get three or four players of high standard, take a risk, and get promoted that’s okay.

“But if you don’t get promoted, then maybe the club will have a big problem the next season. That’s not our way.”

Quote two:- Again when asked about Jordan Rhodes permanent in January transfer window.

"People must understand that since the beginning we know where is the best players in the competition, but we can’t put the club in embargo,"Carvalhal said when asked about potential targets, specifically Rhodes.

Quote three:- When asked about January transfer window.

"There are four players with value that [can] come inside the team and make us more strong. I wish more that they come back to the team than I bring another players from outside because if we go to market in January, of course, we will be with limitations."

Quote Four:- Owns Chief Operating Officer Joe Palmer last season, pre Rhodes signing.

"It is not esstential for the Owls to get promotion this season but warned: “The longer we stay down, the risks for making losses gets higher in theory, especially if the price of players and salaries continues to go up.”

Quote Five:- On Mr Chasiri being forced to sponsor north stand in order to stay within FFP.

To raise additional funds, chairman Dejphon Chansiri recently confirmed he has sponsored the North Stand of Hillsborough.

Palmer said: “These things have to be done to make ends meet. People have to accept that that is the cost of having a top Championship club.

“If you breach FFP, you are looking at fines and embargos but we don’t want to go down that route.”

You will find when last years accounts are publicly released, that Sheffield Wednesday's operating losses are debt are increasing significantly due to throwing money around. The sponsorship of the stand wasn't solely to allow the club to sign players, but to keep the club the right side of the FFP boundary and to balance the books after falling the wrong side.

The Jordan Rhodes deal wasn't possible on a permanent because the club were at the top end of FFP rules, should they have signed him and not gone up they would have risked the wrath of fines and embargoes. Obviously the club didn't fancy their chances of promotion therefore didn't risk the signing.

Rhodes signing this season pretty much swallows up all of the money saved from the 6 released players and again the club are hovering at the top end of FFP rules and are pushing the boundaries no end. Due to this they now have a limited budget to add players, Carlos openly states this.

The open communications from the club back up everything that I have been saying, it isn't scare mongering at all, it is producing fact.

You lot interpret it however you want, maybe you lot have got that used to throwing the cash here, there and everywhere that you don't want to accept that by being lavish on certain big earners and by being unsuccessful on two occasions has not limited you guys going forwards.

Of course as top seems to be touting, you could just break the rules!. Is this really a sensible option though? The failures thus far are proving costly through being "ambitious", a third failure would prove very costly.

:o

Wow!

If that's true then it's even worse than we thought.

He didn't feel confident in taking one... but would take one if the manager insisted.

Well of course he would have taken one if the manager insisted... he wouldn't have had a choice would he?

But it's obvious from this that he was looking to cover his own back in the event of him missing (even to the extent of blaming the manager who insisted he take one) but was at the same time prepared to accept the 'glory' had he scored.

That really is bottling it in a BIG way! :|

So you would rather a player take a penalty even if he's not feeling confident over a player full of confidence? I know which I'd choose. If he had been scoring for fun aswell as not missing his last penalty then I'm sure he might of felt different.

As for the comments of him not being worth what we paid we'll see this season. Im confident given the chances he'll knock a few in to pay us back

Guest sibon

You will find when last years accounts are publicly released, that Sheffield Wednesday's operating losses are debt are increasing significantly due to throwing money around. The sponsorship of the stand wasn't solely to allow the club to sign players, but to keep the club the right side of the FFP boundary and to balance the books after falling the wrong side.

Our accounts will be fine, thanks. They will show us to be comfortably within FFP.

I'm fairly sure that they won't show that Wednesday are £100 million in debt. A list of assets will also show that we own our own ground.

If only all Sheffield clubs were so lucky.

Well what happened with Newcastle and FFP they spent really big last season or did it not apply to them. Also you have Wolves who have just spent £15m on one player and looking to buy more, where do they stand on the FFP?