Sheffield Wednesday feeling the pinch of FFP.

Quote one: - When asked about whether FFP allows the club to spend £9m on Jordan Rhodes.

“The management of the chairman is doing very well, because he cares very much about the Financial Fair Play, which we must follow.

“If you don’t adhere to FFP and get three or four players of high standard, take a risk, and get promoted that’s okay.

“But if you don’t get promoted, then maybe the club will have a big problem the next season. That’s not our way.”

Quote two:- Again when asked about Jordan Rhodes permanent in January transfer window.

"People must understand that since the beginning we know where is the best players in the competition, but we can’t put the club in embargo,"Carvalhal said when asked about potential targets, specifically Rhodes.

Quote three:- When asked about January transfer window.

"There are four players with value that [can] come inside the team and make us more strong. I wish more that they come back to the team than I bring another players from outside because if we go to market in January, of course, we will be with limitations."

Quote Four:- Owns Chief Operating Officer Joe Palmer last season, pre Rhodes signing.

"It is not esstential for the Owls to get promotion this season but warned: “The longer we stay down, the risks for making losses gets higher in theory, especially if the price of players and salaries continues to go up.”

Quote Five:- On Mr Chasiri being forced to sponsor north stand in order to stay within FFP.

To raise additional funds, chairman Dejphon Chansiri recently confirmed he has sponsored the North Stand of Hillsborough.

Palmer said: “These things have to be done to make ends meet. People have to accept that that is the cost of having a top Championship club.

“If you breach FFP, you are looking at fines and embargos but we don’t want to go down that route.”

You will find when last years accounts are publicly released, that Sheffield Wednesday's operating losses are debt are increasing significantly due to throwing money around. The sponsorship of the stand wasn't solely to allow the club to sign players, but to keep the club the right side of the FFP boundary and to balance the books after falling the wrong side.

The Jordan Rhodes deal wasn't possible on a permanent because the club were at the top end of FFP rules, should they have signed him and not gone up they would have risked the wrath of fines and embargoes. Obviously the club didn't fancy their chances of promotion therefore didn't risk the signing.

Rhodes signing this season pretty much swallows up all of the money saved from the 6 released players and again the club are hovering at the top end of FFP rules and are pushing the boundaries no end. Due to this they now have a limited budget to add players, Carlos openly states this.

The open communications from the club back up everything that I have been saying, it isn't scare mongering at all, it is producing fact.

You lot interpret it however you want, maybe you lot have got that used to throwing the cash here, there and everywhere that you don't want to accept that by being lavish on certain big earners and by being unsuccessful on two occasions has not limited you guys going forwards.

Of course as top seems to be touting, you could just break the rules!. Is this really a sensible option though? The failures thus far are proving costly through being "ambitious", a third failure would prove very costly.

I'll admit Greenman that that's quite clever, the bit missing in the quote that you use from Joe Palmer clearly states that the club are well within FFP, you've obviously had time after ambulance runs to misquote to suit your argument, all total nonsense when you look at the wider picture, most of the quotes are general soundbites regarding FFP and it's impact.

Only time will tell.

---------- Post added 17-07-2017 at 18:59 ----------

Well what happened with Newcastle and FFP they spent really big last season or did it not apply to them. Also you have Wolves who have just spent £15m on one player and looking to buy more, where do they stand on the FFP?

Don't worry Ian, it's nonsense and a blade trying to put negatives on something they're chairman promised but didn't deliver, it obviously still rankles.

Our accounts will be fine, thanks. They will show us to be comfortably within FFP.

I'm fairly sure that they won't show that Wednesday are £100 million in debt. A list of assets will also show that we own our own ground.

If only all Sheffield clubs were so lucky.

That is what I have been asking charming person do Sheffield United actually own Bramall Lane or is it owned by an out side company

Sheffield Wednesday Ltd own their own stadium making them solvent and in charge of their own destiny .

Sorry about any grammatical errors :hihi:

Am not bothered I take the comments with a pinch of salt, but look how much Newcastle spent last year.

Am not bothered I take the comments with a pinch of salt, but look how much Newcastle spent last year.

I think parachute payments count towards income so the relegated clubs are largely unaffected, makes the "fair" in FFP look ridiculous.

So you would rather a player take a penalty even if he's not feeling confident over a player full of confidence? I know which I'd choose. If he had been scoring for fun aswell as not missing his last penalty then I'm sure he might of felt different.

As for the comments of him not being worth what we paid we'll see this season. Im confident given the chances he'll knock a few in to pay us back

:hihi:

We could go on discussing this forever but the bottom line is... I would expect a professional player to stand up to his responsibilities.

If he is supposedly one of the best penalty takers in the side, then he let the side down by bottling it when he was needed.

I've posted this before (on here somewhere) but because he didn't fancy taking one, someone else had to... someone who was presumably at best, 6th choice in the team at taking penalties?

And what would have happened if no-one fancied taking one and they'd all bottled it?

I would have thought that fans would have had much more respect for whoever it was stepped forward in his place (even if they missed) than they would ever have for someone who cannot be relied upon when the pressure is on...

... but having read some of the posts on here, that appears not to be the case! :huh:

We could go on discussing this forever but the bottom line is... I would expect a professional player to stand up to his responsibilities.

If he is supposedly one of the best penalty takers in the side, then he let the side down by bottling it when he was needed.

I've posted this before (on here somewhere) but because he didn't fancy taking one, someone else had to... someone who was presumably at best, 6th choice in the team at taking penalties?

And what would have happened if no-one fancied taking one and they'd all bottled it?

I would have thought that fans would have had much more respect for whoever it was stepped forward in his place (even if they missed) than they would ever have for someone who cannot be relied upon when the pressure is on...

... but having read some of the posts on here, that appears not to be the case! :huh:

It's history, if he gets his share of goals this season it will be long forgotten, only 5 players take the initial penalties, the five most confident were picked - end of.

Guest sibon
That is what I have been asking charming person do Sheffield United actually own Bramall Lane or is it owned by an out side company

Sheffield Wednesday Ltd own their own stadium making them solvent and in charge of their own destiny .

Sorry about any grammatical errors :hihi:

It is a tangled web that McCabe has woven. It is however very true that Sheffield United Football Club Limited, co-owned by McCabe and The Prince, do not own the ground.

That might explain why United are finding it a teeny bit difficult to get investment.

It's history, if he gets his share of goals this season it will be long forgotten, only 5 players take the initial penalties, the five most confident were picked - end of.

This highlights exactly the problem with how fans see the game...

if he gets his share of the goals this season it will be long forgotten
Well it may be forgotten by some fans, but I bet the other 'team' players who may also not have fancied taking a penalty but had the guts to stand up and at least give it their best shot (pun intended) will remember it, perhaps for their remaining playing days(?) and see it as a missed opportunity (no pun intended) of a chance to play in the Premiership.

Or are we supposed to believe that they've all got the memory of a goldfish and will have forgotten who let the team down?

And what if he doesn't get his share of the goals this season?

Will it be someone elses fault (again, like last season) for not providing him with the crosses?

I just don't 'get' this blinkered mentality that some fans seem to have, and I'm sure Mr Tuna was privately seething when he found out that his most expensive(?) player was a bottler...

... but who cares anyway? Not the fans, it appears... :|

It is a tangled web that McCabe has woven. It is however very true that Sheffield United Football Club Limited, co-owned by McCabe and The Prince, do not own the ground.

That might explain why United are finding it a teeny bit difficult to get investment.

Bramall Lane is owned by Sheffield United PLC along with all other fixed assets therefore very much remains the property of the football club as a whole and hasn't been transferred away from the football club in any way, shape or form. The only difference being that by introducing Sheffield United Leisure (Sheffield United Ltd) they have been able to separate the fixed assets from the footballing side of things.

Contrary to your opinion, this actually makes us a more attractive proposition for potential investors as unless they are willing to buy the club outright, they will never become majority share holders anyway. Having no responsibility for the upkeep of the stadium and other assets means that any investment made will go straight into the footballing side of things.

Money men don't want to be in the Championship because there is no money in it, hence why Mr Chasiri wants that promotion. It isn't about the love for the club in the slightest, it is about the mega bucks associated with being a top flight team.

Any investors in United would be in it for the same reasons. They way McCabe has structured things means that potential investors can concentrate on football, getting promoted and bagging a profit.

Edited by charmingman

This highlights exactly the problem with how fans see the game...

Well it may be forgotten by some fans, but I bet the other 'team' players who may also not have fancied taking a penalty but had the guts to stand up and at least give it their best shot (pun intended) will remember it, perhaps for their remaining playing days(?) and see it as a missed opportunity (no pun intended) of a chance to play in the Premiership.

Or are we supposed to believe that they've all got the memory of a goldfish and will have forgotten who let the team down?

And what if he doesn't get his share of the goals this season?

Will it be someone elses fault (again, like last season) for not providing him with the crosses?

I just don't 'get' this blinkered mentality that some fans seem to have, and I'm sure Mr Tuna was privately seething when he found out that his most expensive(?) player was a bottler...

... but who cares anyway? Not the fans, it appears... :|

It seems to bother you more than anybody I know, he wouldn't have been guarenteed to score anyway, we didn't win a penalty competiton - end of.

Why don't you also slate the other players who didn't take one or perhaps the rule makers of football should change the shoot outs so all 11 have to line up just for you. I bet Simmo wished he'd declined in 2012. The players practiced penalties all week and only 3 players got 100% Lee, Lees and Wallace (who went off injured). Like I said again its history obviously you can't move on from it for some bizarre reason.

If he doesn't get his fair share then he's obviously lost the excellent scoring form he once had, thats the gamble you get with any player but you can't fault his previous record. It was well documented that there was not enough service to the forwards last season, thats fact not blaming someone else, I really do question some peoples perception of football sometimes.

Edited by top4718

It seems to bother you more than anybody I know, he wouldn't have been guarenteed to score anyway, we didn't win a penalty competiton - end of.

Why don't you also slate the other players who didn't take one or perhaps the rule makers of football should change the shoot outs so all 11 have to line up just for you. I bet Simmo wished he'd declined in 2012. The players practiced penalties all week and only 3 players got 100% Lee, Lees and Wallace (who went off injured). Like I said again its history obviously you can't move on from it for some bizarre reason.

If he doesn't get his fair share then he's obviously lost the excellent scoring form he once had, thats the gamble you get with any player but you can't fault his previous record. It was well documented that there was not enough service to the forwards last season, thats fact not blaming someone else, I really do question some peoples perception of football sometimes.

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

There are none so blind as those who will not see...

End of. :D

Ok, I'll just character assassinate one of our players as he didn't feel it was the right decision to take a penalty against his former club, a real load of good that will do for the coming season!!!

I'd prefer to just move on, this whole thread smacks of total bitterness and jealously and an attempt to find problems that don't exist.

Can't wait for another great season, in good hands.