Towering inferno in London

That reads to me as if the Council were preoccupied with how the block would look externally to others, rather than the safety of the residents. :suspect:

This letter to the Guardian from a K&C resident indicates an additional preoccupation I'd say. I await the findings of the public inquiry.

Yep, that's my point. We don't tend to do national mourning, apart from when the monarch dies.

Yes I understood your point. I was only adding information because I thought it was strange someone should complain that our nation wasn't having days of mourning when we pay our respects by having a minute's silence after national tragedies.

Sorry, If you thought I wasn't on the same wavelength as yourself.

538 missing people according to independent disaster monitoring.

Do we have a news blackout? Looks like it.

Skwawkbox has been peddling a blatant mistruth that the press have received a DSMA Notice demanding that they do not reveal the true death count.

Not only is that fake news but it shows ignorance of how DSMA Notices work. Compliance is completely voluntary. Sure, a few newspapers might tow the line and do as requested (the Mail perhaps) but others most certainly would not (perhaps the Canary). A DSMA is unenforceable.

Skwawkbox also appears to have no idea who actually issues DSMA Notices.

The rumour has been discredited by the press as the risible rubbish that it is but not before it had spread and been lapped up on social media by the generally uniformed and gullible. Skwawkbox themselves have retracted it.

---------- Post added 19-06-2017 at 20:04 ----------

Pinkman,

Fair point. Why is the solicitor calling for an inquest. Presumably, she is experienced and has the tenants interests at heart ?

Watching the telly here in Kennington. I heard a protester (looked and sounded like an organiser) saying he had no confidence in an inquiry and wanted an inquest.

If you don't mind -and are in a position to give an answer. What do you think would be in the best interests of justice ?

Sorry for the delay Pete.

If the families of the victims want an inquest then they should get an inquest.

What surprised me was the immediate demand for an inquest and anger when it was announced that there would be a public inquiry instead. The lawyer you refer to, one assumes, knows full well it is not the purpose of an inquest to blame anyone but only establish how someone died. Inquests do not find anyone guilty or not guilty of anything.

The fire service, BRE, the police and other interested parties will all be working on determining what caused the fire and if there is any evidence of criminality. If there is they will present it to the CPS and charges could be brought leading to a trial. That will determine if someone is guilty or not guilty of the charge.

If they want an inquest, fine. But that wont trump anything that the investigators are doing now.

1 thing I don't fully get is.. shouldn't there tenancy aggreements state about fire safety procedures? Such as fire extinguishers fire alarms etc. Either way it can't be a valid tenency aggreement as they wasn't available, so all there paid rent from the agreement signed should be refunded and compensated!!

Actual footage of one of the firecrews seeing the tower for the first time as they approach

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-40332427/grenfell-tower-fire-moment-firefighters-first-saw-the-blaze

---------- Post added 19-06-2017 at 20:26 ----------

and solihull tory suspended for shocking tweet

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-40330862

---------- Post added 19-06-2017 at 20:28 ----------

Our nation is holding a minute's silence this morning at 11.00 am to remember the victims of the Grenfell Tower tragedy. When you watch the news tonight you will see the minute's silence being observed all over the country.

here we go

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-40326876/grenfell-tower-minute-s-silence-for-victims

Guest sibon
this is why twitter should be turned off

Maybe we should leave Twitter on and turn Tory councillors off.

Maybe we should leave Twitter on and turn Tory councillors off.

not sure i'd want to turn a tory councillor on

proof that 4 ministers were told about the risk of fire in towerblocks for years

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40330789

The letters show experts have been worried about fire safety in tower blocks for years.

Following a fatal fire in Lakanal House in south London in 2009, a series of recommendations were made to keep people safe.

They were ignored. The government promised a review of fire regulations in 2013, but it still has not happened.

Has Sheffield Council ever installed any sprinkler systems in their tower blocks?