Towering inferno in London

I saw a report on the news saying Kensington Council should be prosecuted, I would suggest any Council not making changes within the next 12 months should be prosecuted instead.

You can't have a clearer warning to do something than this so get it done.

While the powers that be should be rightfully investigated and prosecuted, I can't help thinking this man should have done more instead of packing his belongings.

Man whose flat started Grenfell blaze ‘packed luggage before raising alarm’

http://metro.co.uk/2017/06/15/man-whose-flat-started-grenfell-blaze-packed-luggage-before-raising-alarm-6710853

While the powers that be should be rightfully investigated and prosecuted, I can't help thinking this man should have done more instead of packing his belongings.

Man whose flat started Grenfell blaze ‘packed luggage before raising alarm’

http://metro.co.uk/2017/06/15/man-whose-flat-started-grenfell-blaze-packed-luggage-before-raising-alarm-6710853

Maybe he phoned 999 straight away. Is there evidence he didn't?

---------- Post added 20-06-2017 at 18:23 ----------

proof that 4 ministers were told about the risk of fire in towerblocks for years

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40330789

Politicians of all flavours. As we know none of the parties are going to come out squeaky clean.

if the election campaign had gone on for 2 more weeks, the London fire would have been enough to push Labour over the line and they would have probably got a small majority. The next time some pillock says something about the mythical 'October Surprise' always benefiting right-wing parties, I'll ask them to put some Grenfell Tobacco in their pipe and smoke it.

the 2 terrorist attacks that took place during the 2017 election campaign, didn't benefit the more right-wing Tories at all. In fact, it was that, together with the good weather as well as people being annoyed at continually being asked to vote all the time, that cost the Tories their majority.

May and her advisers forgot, that while politically minded people like them love General Elections and love the opportunity for a new number crunch, ordinary people don't like them at all, and are perfectly willing to punish somebody that asks them to vote too much.

Maybe he phoned 999 straight away. Is there evidence he didn't?

The reports say that he knocked on residents doors first around 12.50 (after packing his bags) and that 999 was called at 12.54 by "a resident".

There's no evidence he made the call.

they put the fire out in the flat or at least thought they did :-

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/grenfell-tower-firefighters-put-fridge-081132705.html

"Firefighters had put out the initial fridge fire at Grenfell Tower and were leaving the building when the blaze suddenly flared up, it has emerged.

Crews believed they had put out the fire at the London high-rise and were astonished to see flames rising up the side of the building, new reports have claimed.

Shortly after dealing with the fridge fire early last Wednesday, firefighters were telling residents that it was out, BBC Panorama reported.

But, soon after, the 24-storey building was consumed by flames in one of Britain's biggest ever tower block fires that left at least 79 people dead.

Panorama on Monday night reported that firefighters had seen flames "shooting up" the side of the building. Those reports will add weight to claims that it was the cladding on the exterior of Grenfell Tower that caused the fire to spread so rapidly.

"

On a more positive note, homes are starting to be found for the survivors.

Here is a piece of good news for a change.

Less so for other coucil tax payers one suspects unless the owner of said luxury flats are going to give them away for song, which of course they wont. It will be full fat money plus, one would assume, a fat deposit too.

Guest sibon
Less so for other coucil tax payers one suspects unless the owner of said luxury flats are going to give them away for song, which of course they wont. It will be full fat money plus, one would assume, a fat deposit too.

I suppose we could all save a few quid and put them into another flammable block instead.

The flats they've bought aren't luxury. They are the 'affordable' flats that all new developments must have and would not anywhere near the £1m+ price tag the articles state. I doubt it would be full price either, any developer being offered a job lot of all their flats are going to offer a big discount.

The flats they've bought aren't luxury. They are the 'affordable' flats that all new developments must have and would not anywhere near the £1m+ price tag the articles state. I doubt it would be full price either, any developer being offered a job lot of all their flats are going to offer a big discount.

Sorry, am I right in saying you think a property developer in london are going to knock money off flats in London? I think we might differ on that one! Ask penny if hed let people off a few quid :):)

---------- Post added 21-06-2017 at 14:26 ----------

I suppose we could all save a few quid and put them into another flammable block instead.

Im saying its going to cost someone lots of money (probably more than if it the original block had sprinklers fitted ironically). Council tax payers will be footing the bill and other council services will suffer - unless Im missing soemthing.