M1 road works almost completed

Em-m-m...

"Rule 264. You should always drive in the left-hand lane when the road ahead is clear. If you are overtaking a number of slower-moving vehicles, you should return to the left-hand lane as soon as you are safely past."

It's a 5-6 mile drive before this left hand lane leads off M1 at J34. Plenty of time to change lanes if you head south I believe... I always wonder if the "middle-lane drivers" notice at all that someone to the left drives faster than them and what's the reason for that?

I think you'll find the highway code says not to 'undertake' on a motorway? So if you're regularly doing that, you're breaking the law.

---------- Post added 05-04-2017 at 15:46 ----------

That Pete is what I was trying to put across only you have worded it much better

Awww...thank you...

That Pete is what I was trying to put across only you have worded it much better

Just to clarify that I do not see ALL the 2nd lane drivers as nuisance. I drive back home at 7 pm or later. There are hardly any cars on the motorway at this time of the day. And those few stick to the 2nd and 3rd lane, while the first lane is free to use 99% of the time, with very few lorries there (which btw seem to be comfortable to drive in the left hand lane and then switch lanes around Meadowhall if the have to go south). I acknowledge the congestion issue and slip roads to join or exit M1 between J35a and 34 during rush hours, but not at the times that I'm talking about!

By the way, the same problem is also in the late mornings (I am lucky to have my core working hours shifted 1 hour forward for an easier commute, so i'm talking about 9 am onwards), and not only between J34 and 35a. It really seems like the left hand lane on a motorway is a "blasphemy" for the majority of road users!

---------- Post added 05-04-2017 at 16:01 ----------

I think you'll find the highway code says not to 'undertake' on a motorway? So if you're regularly doing that, you're breaking the law.

I am NOT undertaking, I'm in the left hand lane where I moved soon after after passing J36 and that was empty, and I am driving at a national speed limit. And those who drive even slower in the 2nd lane... well, should be penalised for careless driving, and not me for following the rules. Should I move to the 3rd or even 4th lane just because I'm faster than them? :confused:

Just to clarify that I do not see ALL the 2nd lane drivers as nuisance. I drive back home at 7 pm or later. There are hardly any cars on the motorway at this time of the day. And those few stick to the 2nd and 3rd lane, while the first lane is free to use 99% of the time, with very few lorries there (which btw seem to be comfortable to drive in the left hand lane and then switch lanes around Meadowhall if the have to go south). I acknowledge the congestion issue and slip roads to join or exit M1 between J35a and 34 during rush hours, but not at the times that I'm talking about!

By the way, the same problem is also in the late mornings (I am lucky to have my core working hours shifted 1 hour forward for an easier commute, so i'm talking about 9 am onwards), and not only between J34 and 35a. It really seems like the left hand lane on a motorway is a "blasphemy" for the majority of road users!

So in a nutshell....Between your description of your experiences and mine, it's entirely dependant upon the time of day you hit the motorway. I think we can both agree there will always be 'some' drivers regardless, who have no concept of where they should be in relation to other traffic or the absence of traffic..Time of day regardless.

---------- Post added 05-04-2017 at 16:07 ----------

I am NOT undertaking, I'm in the left hand lane where I moved soon after after passing J36 and that was empty, and I am driving at a national speed limit. And those who drive even slower in the 2nd lane... well, should be penalised for careless driving, and not me for following the rules. Should I move to the 3rd or even 4th lane just because I'm faster than them? :confused:

Ummm...Actually yes..I know it's a pain...But that's what you're supposed to do.

You don't have to drive at 70mph...Just because it's the national speed limit.

There are rules now in force of course for 'middle lane hoggers' but how the police are supposed to enforce this is a bit of a mystery to me.

I think we can both agree there will always be 'some' drivers regardless, who have no concept of where they should be in relation to other traffic or the absence of traffic..Time of day regardless.

Very true. And during peak times the density of "some" drivers is even higher. So yes, consensus found! :)

---------- Post added 05-04-2017 at 16:10 ----------

Ummm...Actually yes..I know it's a pain...But that's what you're supposed to do.

I didn't know that, really? No, seriously?

I didn't know that, really? No, seriously?

Well as far as I'm aware yes really...Although I'm perfectly willing to accept I'm wrong. But that's my understanding...Undertaking on a motorway is highly dangerous! Mainly because you're kind of on the blind side of a vehicle, especially an HGV.

Hmmmm...Just had a look on google and it 'appears' that it's not strictly illegal to undertake...Although it's a bit of a grey area. It's all dependant upon circumstances and traffic conditions. Common sense being the key....

The M1 just isn't worth it anymore. Sheffield-London now takes 45-60 minutes longer than it did a decade ago before they started (micro) managing it.

Although it's 30 miles longer, alternative routes are now quicker 95% of the time

The M1 just isn't worth it anymore. Sheffield-London now takes 45-60 minutes longer than it did a decade ago before they started (micro) managing it.

Although it's 30 miles longer, alternative routes are now quicker 95% of the time

Well I don't know, as I almost never make that sort of journey. But it wouldn't surprise me if you're right.

m1 roadworks are permenant we don't move enough freight by train.

And when they completed the roadworks between J34 and 35a and 39 and 42, my life as a commuter got SO much easier! :roll:

Very true.

A lot of 2nd and 3rd lane hogging is also caused because the inside lane is full of freight, and the next lane is where the lorries cut you up to avoid having to brake.

Very true.

A lot of 2nd and 3rd lane hogging is also caused because the inside lane is full of freight, and the next lane is where the lorries cut you up to avoid having to brake.

Most of the people I see hogging the 3rd lane are pig ignorant or just plain stupid.

You see them at it all the time, even when lane 2 is empty.

.....I digress....I note the M1 going across the Top deck of Tinsley viaduct is now 3 lanes? I was under the impression this wasn't allowed due to an EU directive in regard to weight?

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinsley_Viaduct

The strengthening works in 2005 were carried out partly to allow 3 lane running following the EU directive, the decision to reduce it to 2 was more to do with traffic flows because of the volume of traffic exiting and merging at that junction.