Relocating to South Yorkshire - advice please!

Bixbax

Hiya - hoping some people will be able to offer some local advice for a couple of southern softies looking to relocate to a friendlier, more rural, more affordable place!

We currently live in Hampshire, and despite having studied in the city we are in, and lived here for 10 years, we are feeling less at home than ever. House prices are ridiculous (385k for a new build 2 bed flat), rent is extortionate (1000+ for a 2/3 bed), and even in the countryside no one says hello or shows any sign of general friendly community spirit (gross generalisation, I know, but thats our experience at the moment). We both grew up in the countryside, in rural Scotland then West Sussex for me and South west/Somerset for my other half, so the unfriendliness really gets to us as its not what it used to be......now I sound old!

Friends of ours (she's from Braithwell and recently moved back after 13 years in the south) live in Tickhill, and I've visited the area a couple of times. It seems really friendly and she's got nothing but praise for the place. I've looked a lot at that area and Bawtry. We'd want to rent for a few years with a view to buying once we've saved. Probably got a max budget of 600ish for a good sized 2 bed or 3 if poss. Would love to be somewhere with good local amenities but rural-ish.

We'd love some local opinions on the areas in sheffield and beyond, as we are desperate for a fresh start. We're looking for some advice on a few things...I'm gonna be really cheeky and just list 'em all below!

- Will we be considered 'intruders' for being southerners? Or are people past that (if its ever been a thing!?)

- Is there a noticeable difference in areas and is this linked to anything in particular? Mining vs farming towns etc?

- Hubby is a mental case of a cyclist, (roadie, mostly) are there cycling clubs and the like around?

- do many people commute to sheffield from the areas I mentioned?

- what are childcare costs like? we pay about 46 a day including meals for an 8.5 hour day

Feel free to tell me bog off to a different thread - just thought I'd ask and see what sort of a response we get! :) :)

No-one is bothered where you're from or how you speak. There are all sorts here, it's been a city of diversity for a long time.

I guess you mean £600pcm rental? What about schools? How rural do you mean? What amenities do you need? Transport needs - train station? motorway access? etc

If husband wants serious cycling terrain then I doubt Doncaster and points East is what he's after. Sheffield has some serious hills. You may also want to consider North Derbyshire and some bits of North Notts, though they're not technically 'South Yorkshire' of course.

Edited by Bilge

It would be best to determine where you and your husband will be working before you commit to looking for properties to rent. I do not know if many people commute from Tickhill/Bawtry to Sheffield but if you plan to find employment there, the journey is lengthy, particularly at busy times - probably about an hour minimum, some of it congested. The roads to the motorway are unlit in parts, narrow and bendy. Getting stuck behind a farm vehicle is not uncommon and will lengthen the journey considerably. If Sheffield City centre is the preferred destination for work then it might be worth considering finding a home that is close to a railway station.

People in South Yorkshire are pretty much like anywhere else - some are friendly, some are not. Don't worry about not being accepted - you are unlikely to have problems.

As has been said, South Yorkshire is not the best place for cycling - it is very hilly and the roads are busy. However, Doncaster is flatter than Sheffield so will probably be a better choice.

There are no mining villages now as we have no mines so you just need to look around and see which area suits you best. The communities of the ex mining villages used to be quite close knit but this is not so much the case these days. Bus services are not usually very good to the more remote villages so two cars would be useful. Tickhill and Bawtry appear to be nice places to live but think about how their location is going to fit in with your lifestyle, not just now but in years to come as your children grow and want to pursue various activities.

Regarding child care costs, you might be better discussing that with people who actually live in Tickhill/Bawtry.

Edited by Jomie

....As has been said, South Yorkshire is not the best place for cycling - it is very hilly and the roads are busy. However, Doncaster is flatter than Sheffield so will probably be a better choice...

Sheffield is excellent for the serious cyclist BECAUSE OF its hills. So if that's what the husband really wants then Sheff is ideal.

Cyclists like me (and most people) who hate going up hills, don't use a bike at all or only if we have a fairly flat commute along a valley for example.

It is a case of identifying priorities and if cycling is up there at the top of the list then from what you say, Sheffield would be the better bet. It would also have the advantage if their employment is to be in the city. Access to activities for children would probably be better too. It would then be a case of looking for an affordable rural area around Sheffield. If hilly terrain is important then maybe Rotherham might suit although the hills might not be quite as steep as in Sheffield. It also has affordable rural areas.

Edited by Jomie

Plenty of cycling clubs and cyclists out in Tickhill and Bawtry way, more so than Sheffield and much more road racing too. Google NMRRL. Tickhill and Bawtry are both very nice, well heeled towns. I commuted to Bawtry for a long time from west side of Sheffield...best part of an hour each way. Not sure what 600 a month will get you though.

Thanks everyone. That's really helpful.

Hubby is in a cycling club at the mo and aims for as many hills as possible, so thats not a problem. He cycles 150 miles a week for fun (!) ad would love to be able to cycle as part of a commute. We wondered if cycling into Doncaster then train-ing it to Sheffield would work. There are a couple of vacancies near the station that he is applying for.

Very much open to the idea of Sheffield itself, we would want somewhere with fairly good links and decent green space. Suggestions welcome.

Glad to hear us being southerners is not a problem, I didn't think it would be particularly.

I'm a qualified youthworker, but currently work as an HLTA in secondary schools. Not sure work would be so easy to come by for me! Hubby is a motion graphics technician currently teaching on a university campus.

Thanks all! Happy Sunday. :)

---------- Post added 26-02-2017 at 16:03 ----------

Oh and yes, 600pcm ideally, although for something more sheffield way with better links we'd go 700pcm.

Looking for nice, safe area to bring up 18 month old. Good green space, good coffee and we're happy enough!

I know little about the area you are thinking off, except that you are near the airport and near the Wildlife park. The latter is a positive if you like seeing animals as a yearly pass is good value, and the wildlife park is good.

If it were me I would be heading to Dore or Totley. Both just about inside Sheffield. Really nice ruralish areas, 5 mins cycle to the Peak district national park, good bike scene, trains and not far to all the facilities of Sheffield or Chesterfield.

This is not where I live as we like to be more Urban.

Hi,

Your dude might be happy in the Tickhill area - that looks good on paper, but you might find yourself very, very isolated. Also, guys on bikes are a thing in all parts of Sheffield. If you can afford it - look at the horseshoe that runs from Walkley to Totley in the south of Sheffield, and rent or buy within that area. Sheffield is a fantastic and lovely city, but only if you are in the right area. Outside that horseshoe it is much more difficult to become a part of the local community. The people outside of this area are very family oriented and often find it hard to make friends with strangers. The horseshoe I mention is full of 'incomers' studying at the Universities or working in the hospitals. I cannot recommend Tickhill as a place that I would live. The best of luck with your search for a home.

king Regards,

Hogg

I would recommend you look south of Sheffield.......the Dronfield area. Good house prices, on the edge of the Peak District and Derbyshire Dales......

I moved to Sheffield from Essex years ago, and have never regretted the move oop north, and moved here, 10 miles south of Sheff 14 years ago, and have not regretted that move either. Good luck.

Edited by smithy266