INEOS shale gas to come to Mosborough S20?

Gemma-S

Guest makapaka
its guaranteed to happen,when I worked in eckington all I ever heard from men of working age was we need work of any kind,this will bring work and be no worse than coal mining,get on with it make money and get this country in a economical sound basis and make it better for everyone instead of relying on other countrys for our fuel.

I totally agree. Economic benefits are excellent and we shouldn't be holding things like this back.

i don't want fracking anywhere else in the U.K. (I'm glad you also think it's happening in people back yards though)...There are alternatives. It's not a clear cut case of no fracking, no cars. However if you argue it is then surely living in a democracy the people should have a bigger say on this major issue? i might move to spain and run my car there since fracking is banned there and in France.lol

But yes, if that was the choice, I value my house and health over my car.....

Like I said, I'm not an expert nor much of a debater so you should head over to Facebook groups to see what they say about alternatives to fracking... I just popped on here to tell people about the march on Saturday as that is Sheffield's backyard... I might send them the link to this thread but not sure how many will be Forum users...

....In that case would you be prepared to use fuel and gas obtained by fracking in

someone else's backyard.

NIMBY

It's a really convenient slur isn't it? Against people who get involved at a local level.

Sheffield people who don't want to see fracking in Mosborough are, by this logic, NIMBYs because they haven't been camped for months at "Frack Free Isle of Outer Nickynockynoo"

Of course, if anyone HAS been to the mythical isle, that then makes them a bandwagon-jumping rentamob scrounger instead.

Just sit on your settee, watch coronation street, keep your head down and eat your soylent.

INEOS

Are not interested in fuelling anyone's cars.

They are a massive chemical production company that use natural gases in their production of plastics.

Currently, Grangemouth is operating under-capacity and staving off closure by importing fracked ethane from the USA.

Any gas from UK fracking would go to Grangemouth as well. Ultimately to replace imports.

Fracking does have known pollution risks. The question is "How much do you trust INEOS and UK Enforcement to remove those risks?"

INEOS

Are not interested in fuelling anyone's cars.

They are a massive chemical production company that use natural gases in their production of plastics.

Currently, Grangemouth is operating under-capacity and staving off closure by importing fracked ethane from the USA.

Any gas from UK fracking would go to Grangemouth as well. Ultimately to replace imports.

Fracking does have known pollution risks. The question is "How much do you trust INEOS and UK Enforcement to remove those risks?"

I don't trust them very much. I'll trust them even less after we burn up all the EU environmental laws. It will be a free for all.

So does any power generation.

Do you have any evidence of any UK pollution from its long history of fracking (C. 1945 IIRC)?

Illegal pollution? No.

Do you?

Information is available about Cuadrilla disposing of 2million gallons of treated waste water into the Manchester Ship Canal.

At the time, the waste was all within the required standards.

Standards were since changed to reduce acceptable radioactivity levels which would render that disposal illegal today.

That disposal can be regarded as pollution although Cuadrilla were acting legally at the time.

It is an example of environmental regulations being tightened and there is no reason to expect that they would not be enforced today.

There is evidence of pollution in the US.

I believe that UK regulations have been framed based upon the information gleaned from all available incident reports and recommendations.

[quote=blackydog "I object to potential contaminants in our drinking water. Also it is gas extraction so still a burning fuel with its emmisions."

Don't worry, I don't think the fracking process takes place anywhere close to the water table, it's much deeper.

They drill through the water table then pump in a "protective" concrete casing which can crack and fail to keep the harmful chemicals inside the well and the chemicals leek into the water table and aquafiers, do a search on utube for Fracking its a eye opener or watch the film called GASLAND on youtube.