Perverse police officer keeps his job & rank !!

Thank you Ivan.

Forty years on and how the world has changed.

The PC brigade, if they had their way, would now be calling for retrospective action, completely disproportionate, to have you hauled before the thought Police and prosecuted.

It wasn't an 'offence' worthy of work placed disciplinary action back then. So don't lose sleep. Your marriage won't be disolved; your wife sent for personality re-assignment and you subjected to masculine re-alignment therapy. That involves cream, a rubber glove and a darkened room. Further treatment, should it be deemed necessary involves two large bricks. It can be quite painful if you catch your thumbs.

I like what you bring to the debate. it is unique and original.

Answers - rather than questions - usually are.

Edited by Owethemnowt

Late 70s early 80s as a young lad I used to work at a busy fruit and veg shop as a shelf stacker with about ten women servers.

Now that was sexual harrasment!

Not that I didn't encourage it. :)

When I left to join the army I recall one of the girls saying that I had only joined for a safer workplace.

Exactly!

You took it in your stride in the manner it was meant. Light hearted banter.

It's hard to avoid the joke. Your name is 'Monkey' so there must have been references to what you do with your banana!

Who knows but it was harmless once and now, due to the gossip machine that is all things Face Book and Twitter etc, it becomes an opportunity for objection, protestation and condemnation.

Remember; no working man can whistle at work if in a public space; no man can pay a woman any kind of compliment; it would be wise not to walk behind a woman on the same side of the street.

All, some would assert, is common sense nowadays due to the chance of a false allegation being made that you are being sexist, sexually harrassing or stalking.

Worse, one false cry by a woman would be listened to, investigated and an opportunity to link smoke with fire. A support group would emerge as Brenda from Croydon [ Founder of 'Sexually Harrassed and Terrified] who was asked by a man at a bus stop what time the No.49 usually arrived. The fact he was the Arch Bishop of Canterbury, whose car had broken down, didn't help his defence.

And for those who are quick to support such a response, they should consider for a moment the consequences of being falsely accused when doing no more than waiting for a bus or shoping for beans in Sainsbury's. Which he may have done on his way home.

The politically correct are strangling the life out of our very existence. Worse, this attitude has filtered down throughout society where innocent normal human behaviour is being challenged as offensive.

The simple act of enquiring 'What time is it?' is seen as intrusive, invasive of one's privacy, threatening, provocative. It would be met with 'Time for what? I'm calling the Thought Police.'

We've reached a point where the claim 'You're disrespecting me' is a get out of jail card rather than an observation as to how someone feels.

The world has gone mad. Risk assessment and risk management has seen conkers banned from the play ground, footballs reduced to the size of marbles, marbles made from plasticine, plasticine made edible, anything edible comes with a health warning, health becomes an issue and no one is allowed to be called fat. They are large. Large like Mount Everest but not fat.

No one must ever be offended. Every one must be tollerated and accepted because we are all equal.

Elton John spends £90k a year on flowers and we are all equal. Politicians award themselves year on year pay rises while the rest of us have our pay frozen but we are all equal. The single mothers of Sheffield giving birth to little Romeo will see their child have the same life chances as that other Romeo whose mother had an international pop career and is now an international fashion designer and multi-millionairess. Then there's the husband.

But little Romeo, born into a bed sitter in Page Hall, will go on to greatness because the world is equal; his environment, his school, his life chances. All are equal. And little Romeo's first words will most likely be: 'I'm reporting you for that.'

Because the inequality of life will strike so fast he'll be told his nappies are the wrong brand. Told by kid who arrives to nursery in nappies with a Nike logo on, in a 4x4, from a two parent family who live in a semi.

We are equal. Equal as a bag of feathers is to a bag of nails.

But as long as we complain rather than accept how life is, the human condition is, then we feel better for it. Strive for excellence all you like but the reality is we arrived long ago. Now we just travel round in circles. Forever changing the kitchen, painting the walls, buying a new DFS sofa in time for Xmas every year, put a new bathroom in, change jobs, find a job, lose a job, upgrade, lease, pay it in, pay it out, start again.

Ever decreasing circles and ever increasing smiles posted on Facebook showing the happy glorious life you wish you had. Always celebrating a party down the pub just like Victoria in a suite in New York alongside that guy in LaLa Land and the woman who doubled for Whitney.

But you're in York with her who was in lala land until they sorted her meds out and the woman in trouble from Whitby.

Equality. Go and complain about it. It'll change everything.

Exactly!

It's hard to avoid the joke. Your name is 'Monkey' so there must have been references to what you do with your banana!

Who knows but it was harmless once and now, due to the gossip machine that is all things Face Book and Twitter etc, it becomes an opportunity for objection, protestation and condemnation.

Remember; no working man can whistle at work if in a public space; no man can pay a woman any kind of compliment; it would be wise not to walk behind a woman on the same side of the street.

All, some would assert, is common sense nowadays due to the chance of a false allegation being made that you are being sexist, sexually harrassing or stalking.

Worse, one false cry by a woman would be listened to, investigated and an opportunity to link smoke with fire. A support group would emerge as Brenda from Croydon [ Founder of 'Sexually Harrassed and Terrified] who was asked by a man at a bus stop what time the No.49 usually arrived. The fact he was the Arch Bishop of Canterbury, whose car had broken down, didn't help his defence.

And for those who are quick to support such a response, they should consider for a moment the consequences of being falsely accused when doing no more than waiting for a bus or shoping for beans in Sainsbury's. Which he may have done on his way home.

The politically correct are strangling the life out of our very existence. Worse, this attitude has filtered down throughout society where innocent normal human behaviour is being challenged as offensive.

The simple act of enquiring 'What time is it?' is seen as intrusive, invasive of one's privacy, threatening, provocative. It would be met with 'Time for what? I'm calling the Thought Police.'

We've reached a point where the claim 'You're disrespecting me' is a get out of jail card rather than an observation as to how someone feels.

The world has gone mad. Risk assessment and risk management has seen conkers banned from the play ground, footballs reduced to the size of marbles, marbles made from plasticine, plasticine made edible, anything edible comes with a health warning, health becomes an issue and no one is allowed to be called fat. They are large. Large like Mount Everest but not fat.

No one must ever be offended. Every one must be tollerated and accepted because we are all equal.

Elton John spends £90k a year on flowers and we are all equal. Politicians award themselves year on year pay rises while the rest of us have our pay frozen but we are all equal. The single mothers of Sheffield giving birth to little Romeo will see their child have the same life chances as that other Romeo whose mother had an international pop career and is now an international fashion designer and multi-millionairess. Then there's the husband.

But little Romeo, born into a bed sitter in Page Hall, will go on to greatness because the world is equal; his environment, his school, his life chances. All are equal. And little Romeo's first words will most likely be: 'I'm reporting you for that.'

Because the inequality of life will strike so fast he'll be told his nappies are the wrong brand. Told by kid who arrives to nursery in nappies with a Nike logo on, in a 4x4, from a two parent family who live in a semi.

But as long as we complain rather than accept how life is, the human condition is, then we feel better for it. Strive for excellence all you like but the reality is we arrived long ago. Now we just travel round in circles. Forever changing the kitchen, painting the walls, buying a new DFS sofa in time for Xmas every year, put a new bathroom in, change jobs, find a job, lose a job, upgrade, lease, pay it in, pay it out, start again.

Ever decreasing circles and ever increasing smiles posted on Facebook showing the happy glorious life you wish you had. Always celebrating a party down the pub just like Victoria in a suite in New York alongside that guy in LaLa Land and the woman who doubled for Whitney.

But you're in York with her who was in lala land until they sorted her meds out and the woman in trouble from Whitby.

another great post pleasure to read, my thoughts entirely.

Exactly!

Exactly. I spent 24 years in the army and if you were offended by mere words spoken, tough! You built up a thick skin and a quick repartee.

I worked abroad for a few years before taking a job in the U.K. and I have found my speech becoming measured because I have to censure most things I say just in case I offend someone.

Fortunately I have a majority base of colleagues whom I can converse with in our lunch break without fear of being reported.

P.s Monkey is the nickname for Military Police men/officers/women/person.

Edited by monkey104

Exactly!

Talking of la la's...

Here's another similar story.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-38798220

There you go, what's good for the gander is good for the goose .:nono:

How this idiom of male - female relationships, like the thread, is related to two women I fail to see as they are in dispute as what is actually perceived as being good for one is ridiculed by the other.

You quite miss the point of the idiom and it bears no relation whatsoever to the sentiments anyone [ repeat anyone] expresses in the thread.

Thank you Ivan.

Forty years on and how the world has changed.

The PC brigade, if they had their way, would now be calling for retrospective action, completely disproportionate, to have you hauled before the thought Police and prosecuted.

It wasn't an 'offence' worthy of work placed disciplinary action back then. So don't lose sleep. Your marriage won't be disolved; your wife sent for personality re-assignment and you subjected to masculine re-alignment therapy. That involves cream, a rubber glove and a darkened room. Further treatment, should it be deemed necessary involves two large bricks. It can be quite painful if you catch your thumbs.

I like what you bring to the debate. it is unique and original.

Answers - rather than questions - usually are.

You are right Owethemnowt things really have changed,for the worse.Between 1980 and 1990 there was a black bloke at the place where I worked,everybody called him Sooty,he was a great bloke and never objected to this and he got on with everybody.In fact I picked him up,took him to work and brought him home everyday,I enjoyed his company.Would you be able to call someone sooty nowadays,I doubt it?

How this idiom of male - female relationships, like the thread, is related to two women I fail to see as they are in dispute as what is actually perceived as being good for one is ridiculed by the other.

You quite miss the point of the idiom and it bears no relation whatsoever to the sentiments anyone [ repeat anyone] expresses in the thread.

My point was that a female supervisor gets the same outcome as the male one does, for ridiculing a subordinate in a sex related way. One woman was insulted about her knickers, the other one about her bra.:P

"Remember; no working man can whistle at work if in a public space; no man can pay a woman any kind of compliment; it would be wise not to walk behind a woman on the same side of the street.

The politically correct are strangling the life out of our very existence. Worse, this attitude has filtered down throughout society where innocent normal human behaviour is being challenged as offensive. "

I laughed when I first started to read this post but then I realised Owethemnowt was serious.

Firstly, Whistling at work has not been banned. I am glad to say the days of Wolfwhistles have largely gone with the wind. When someone whistled at me I whistled back in the same vein. Needless to say there was no more hassle.

I would like to say that my earlier reference to what I would have said was serious and meant to fend off what would be no compliment, but testing out just how far a person could go down any particular avenue. This particular one the avenue of sexual behaviour. Once a certain level of anything is tolerated then some people go on to the next level.

Asking someone about their underwear repeatedly is harassment, sexual harassment and has been unacceptable to me since I became aware that males and females were different, around the age of four. Sexual harassment is as unacceptable as racial abuse. If someone was repeatedly making remarks about the size of your lunchbox when it was neither lunchtime nor the box with your lunch was in view how would you feel about that? If someone constantly referred to the colour of your skin or nationality How would you feel.

Next: whether you are aware or not there has been massive abuse by people in various positions of authority in many areas of life. Being the Archbishop of anywhere does not make anyone automatically trustworthy. Trust has been abused too often. People have been getting away with abuse of all kinds for far too long. If you want to be seen as a civilized human being with respect for other civilized human beings you need to behave as a civilized human being and not some sort of sixteenth century letcher who thinks that forcing a serving maid up against a wall and grabbing her womanhood is a bit of fun.

I would like to remind everyone that the reason we have the vote is because we complained.

The reason we have (some of us at least) a reasonable level of payment for work is because we complained.

The reason we have a right to paid leave when in employment is because we complained.

The reason Gas fitters and Electricians have to be properly trained and registered and periodically undergo further training is because we complained.

The reason that teachers and doctors and dentists now have to undergo further training periodically is because there were complaints.

The reason that all sudden deaths now have to be investigated by an autopsy/post mortem and two doctors have to certify the cause of death is because people complained. Specifically after the Shipman case where it was found that at least 15 women had been murdered, and possibly over 200.

The reason we have a level of healthcare what we never had before is because we complained.

The reason we have a right to redress if we are wrongly treated, in law, is because we complained.

Remember this.

It is better that a false allegation is investigated than a person lives the rest of their life suffering not only the hurt of having someone abuse them but the hurt of not having it redressed.

Edited by Margarita Ma

Last week I attended a meeting which was attended by male and female members of the public. The chairman was male and received active inputs from members of the gathering including a vocal number from the opposite sex. At one point he referred to "the ladies" and was shot down for calling them that.

He was non plussed. What should he have called them, women? At which point some said they were quite happy to be ladies, some wanted to be women, and others seemed to have no answer for it. Calling them ladies might be patronising? Really? Most of the audience couldn't believe how such a thing could cause such a fuss.

So, in certain circumstances people can take offence just by an inferred tone, or manner. Others present may not know past history or context. It can be a very touchy world we live in, trip wires where we'd never suspect!

However, for the case in this thread the trip wires were crossed quite clearly many times. Nobody is perfect, we all make mistakes. The case was fully considered and due action taken. Time for all to bear it in mind, and move on.