Wigfalls old staff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I spent a couple of years in the mid-70s working at the Transport Department on Harvest Lane, just up from Mowbray St in Sheffield. Was a junior office clerk. The office was over the garage where mechanics repaired and serviced the company's vehicles. I remember a regular influx of Bedford H.A and C.F vans and Hillman Avenger Estates. One of the directors (Robert Morrell?) had a pink Porsche.

The manager while I was there was a chap called Harry Berry. Interesting man. He and his wife used to go on the cruise ship Canberra regularly.

Some of the great, friendly, mechanics I recall are Barrie Cotton, Ted Witham and Barry Davenport and there was a marvellous fella in the same dept as me, Barry Ward, that got me in to Led Zeppelin - for which I will be forever grateful 😀

I jumped ship and went to Bentley Bros for a quid an hour more 😀.  

16 hours ago, St Petre said:

Were Wigfall's HQ in the Rutland Road area or near the Wicker or Neepsend, Not to be cunfused with Wigfulls Flour mill which was in the lower Brunswick Road area.

The only Head Office I recall was midway up Rutland Road.

Re the post above:

I was told an anecdote about the manager at the Harvest Lane branch. He'd been looking out of his office window across at the Mowbray Street depo. Two Wigfalls vans were speeding, chasing each other up the road. He picked up the phone, called the manager at Mowbray Street and said "I don't care who they are, I want them sacked!" and that's what happened. No 2nd chances, no written warnings, they were gone.

A different generation with different standards.

Imagine the 'woke' employees of today? Despite them being in the wrong they'd be whinging about their mental health and unfair dismissal.