Seven-year-old boy living as a girl

What's with the insulting :loopy::loopy::loopy::loopy::loopy:

We are not in the stone age any more. Gender and in many respects the development of sexuality involves far far more aspects than simply what equipment someone has between their legs.

How a person feels in their mind, their definition of themsleves, their psychological state, their build, their body development, their hormones, their life choices all will develop into who someone is and as they grow older who they want to be.

In the past young babies were forced into a category of boys like blue, girls like pink. Boys like to play with diggers and footballs, girls like to play with dolls and make up. Parents can wrongly force mould children into what THEY want them to be. They were creating mini versons of themselves with the child being pushed into activiites and choices which may completely counter what their own mind is trying to develop itself. That is not necessarilly a good thing.

Look at some examples, we had young children out on the streets of Goldthorpe standing around cheering and clapping at the burning dolls and posters of Maggie Thatcher. A person they know nothing about, a time when they weren't even a twinkle and their parents eyes. So, where might that lead? A child reaching adulthood with a completely pre-formed and forced position of hatred of the Tories, Bankers, Capitalists and anything to the right of the SW party just because mum and dad said so. We have gun toating nutjobs in america giving their offspring kiddie size guns and holders and drumming into them that the right to bear arms and protect by killing someone is perfectly acceptable. Where might that lead? A child going into a school and dealing with an average bully in the most extreme and leathal way possible. We have parents who drum the matcho manly attitude into their Sons. The sporty football nuts, chauvinist attitude that men are strong and do the digging and women stay at home and make tea. Where might that lead? Adults who are pre-programmed that men are leaders and women are the weaker and inferior position. Men who are anti-homosexuality, have an intollerence of those who appear ifeminate or weak.

Society and (finally!) general understanding has moved on in our parts of the world. Its developing all the time. Some people need to get on with developing with it.

Edited by ECCOnoob

nothing to do with experts or Michael Gove just plain old common sense?? sadly missing these days with people that think its normal?? its not:loopy:

I think parents with children with gender issues should be very careful, its certainly common sense to accept the body that you have, anything else is psychologically troubling.

How can a child make that decision right now you're being idiotic !!

---------- Post added 23-10-2016 at 09:44 ----------

Nothing wrong with being equal but everything wrong with letting/wanting a child change sex

Pretty Big,

The child hasn't changed sex. It's a Gender Identity issue. The "trans children" haven't had a sex change operation.

Gender socialization takes place inside the family and through other institutions in society. It's well understood by sociologists and psychologists and social anthropologists.

As I said earlier. Parents with children experiencing gender confusion/identity

issues will get support from the professionals who have experience in these things.

And the help they will get will not be of the kind where electrodes are applied to the child's temples.

Edited by petemcewan

In the past young babies were forced into a category of boys like blue, girls like pink. Boys like to play with diggers and footballs, girls like to play with dolls and make up. Parents can wrongly force mould children into what THEY want them to be. They were creating mini versons of themselves with the child being pushed into activiites and choices which may completely counter what their own mind is trying to develop itself. That is not necessarilly a good thing.

You are confusing forcing with teaching. Most normal parents will encourage a girl to learn female characteristics similar to their Mother and a boy to learn male characteristics similar to their Father. Parents also teach their children to tell the time and tie their own shoelaces.

You are confusing forcing with teaching. Most normal parents will encourage a girl to learn female characteristics similar to their Mother and a boy to learn male characteristics similar to their Father. Parents also teach their children to tell the time and tie their own shoelaces.

Teaching a child the basic life skills they need to know and the essentials to get their development started I fully agree with.

But, already there is categorising happening. Its putting a child into certain boxes. You say that a girl will learn female things like mummy. A boy will learn male things like daddy. The point is why? What about if a child's natural development favours more with the characteristics of the opposite sex. What if a girl has no interest in mummy's characteristics and has more favour with her father's behaviour, activities. Should they be forced into doing something they against their natural urge becuase it fits in with the gender stereotype?

The point I am trying to make is why the separation. Why not both sexes of children learn characteristics of both parents as they develop their own way.

Teaching a child the basic life skills they need to know and the essentials to get their development started I fully agree with.

But, already there is categorising happening. Its putting a child into certain boxes. You say that a girl will learn female things like mummy. A boy will learn male things like daddy. The point is why? What about if a child's natural development favours more with the characteristics of the opposite sex. What if a girl has no interest in mummy's characteristics and has more favour with her father's behaviour, activities. Should they be forced into doing something they against their natural urge becuase it fits in with the gender stereotype?

The point I am trying to make is why the separation. Why not both sexes of children learn characteristics of both parents as they develop their own way.

Because it is the correct thing to do, just like it is correct for parents to teach their children not to steal and not to tell lies.

Because it is the correct thing to do, just like it is correct for parents to teach their children not to steal and not to tell lies.

oh dear you are being far too sensible for the likes of some here Gamston::o

Gamston,

You make some interesting observations. I'd like to ask your opinion on the following.

So that you are aware of my view. From my studies in social science and development psychology, I believe that gender identity is socially constructed.The family is significant in the process. In addition, the school also plays a pivotal role in the socialization process.

https://www.genderspectrum.org/explore-topics/parenting-and-family/

Do you think the child has sufficient cognitive self-awareness to make a choice as to the gender they have adopted ?

As an aside. Once the Development Psychologists get involved ,the child will have their

gender identity molded into what is perceived to be appropriated to their biological sex.

The point you make about "why not both " ? That may very well be happening in some 21st-century families.

Edited by petemcewan

What makes it the correct thing to teach gender specialization?

Why can't boys wear pink and play with dolls if they want to?

---------- Post added 23-10-2016 at 18:22 ----------

How can a child make that decision right now you're being idiotic !!

---------- Post added 23-10-2016 at 09:44 ----------

Nothing wrong with being equal but everything wrong with letting/wanting a child change sex

Not really understanding the topic. Nobody has talked about sex changes.

Agree with this. My favourite toy as a child (girl) was Lego (no such thing as girls or boys lego back then). One of my daughters favourite toys was a toolkit. I don't see anything wrong with this. The subject I hated most at school was domestic science, I would have much preferred woodwork but it wasn't allowed for girls back then and I still hate cooking. I am very much female (as is my daughter) and believe children should be allowed to play with whatever interests them, let them choose for themselves it won't change their gender, honestly!

So again, I ask. Did you know what gender you were when you were a child?

What gender are you now? Are you sure?

What gender am I now? The gender I was born and the gender I will stay.

---------- Post added 23-10-2016 at 20:53 ----------

Pretty Big,

The child hasn't changed sex. It's a Gender Identity issue. The "trans children" haven't had a sex change operation.

Gender socialization takes place inside the family and through other institutions in society. It's well understood by sociologists and psychologists and social anthropologists.

As I said earlier. Parents with children experiencing gender confusion/identity

issues will get support from the professionals who have experience in these things.

And the help they will get will not be of the kind where electrodes are applied to the child's temples.

I'm not gaining anything from your post to me, I don't get what you're trying to point out? Why don't you tell me in thick terms I might understand then.

Here is my point, a child should not be encouraged by anyone to act as the opposite gender

Transgender is not a matter of wearing blue or pink or playing with dolls or playing with hammers.

It is a fundamental part of how a person perceives themselves and how that relates to their physical bodies.

Parenting has no effect on this. None at all, except that those parents who do not care enough to understand their child tend to end up with a damaged child and a broken adult.