Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

4 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

Work and you don't get in that situation. 

6 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

Work.

You're very lucky to be able to retain that kind of simplistic, wholly lacking in empathy arrogance. I'm guessing you've never been out on the streets, or suffered mental illness, or done prison time, or been sexually abused, or addicted to drugs or booze, or lived in care or just been really unlucky.

I ought to have got used to other people's ignorance, arrogance and callousness about homelessness by now - but attitudes like yours are still abundant.

I try and find solace in the idea that it's not the persons fault, same as having red hair or blue eyes or being autistic wouldn't be their fault. Just something that a person is born with - a space in their soul where empathy exists in most other souls.

Guest makapaka
9 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

Woodstock? A half a million young people at a concert,no guns no knives, not even  cops, lot's of  great music and dope smoking,but that's becoming legal in a lot of the Americas now.

Altamont?

knebworth in the 90s?

I’ll say it again - I’m not suggesting it wasn’t a good time to be alive - I’m saying there’s no point pretending everything was great then and it’s all awful now.

4 hours ago, Halibut said:

You're very lucky to be able to retain that kind of simplistic, wholly lacking in empathy arrogance. I'm guessing you've never been out on the streets, or suffered mental illness, or done prison time, or been sexually abused, or addicted to drugs or booze, or lived in care or just been really unlucky.

I ought to have got used to other people's ignorance, arrogance and callousness about homelessness by now - but attitudes like yours are still abundant.

I try and find solace in the idea that it's not the persons fault, same as having red hair or blue eyes or being autistic wouldn't be their fault. Just something that a person is born with - a space in their soul where empathy exists in most other souls.

Yes I'll give you that, it was a simplistic response and I am more sympathetic than you might think but I was asked what I would do and work would be my way to avoid begging on the street.

There are supposed to be half a million illegal immigrants in the country who came here with next to nothing. They seem to get by without begging.

Incidentally, I have first hand experience of some of the countries they come from and seen what real poverty is like. The destitute there have no alternative but to beg. You'll never convince me the UK has become the same.

Ah yes the marvelous sixties when councils across the country demolished countless beautiful Victorian buildings and replaced them with brutalist monstrosities and to this day we're still trying to get rid  of these 60's buildings. Thank god the Grosvenor has gone, just need to get rid of the Wilko building on Exchange street and the B&M building on Dixon Lane.

Edited by ohgoditsjames

5 hours ago, makapaka said:

Altamont?

knebworth in the 90s?

I’ll say it again - I’m not suggesting it wasn’t a good time to be alive - I’m saying there’s no point pretending everything was great then and it’s all awful now.

5 hours ago, makapaka said:

Altamont?

knebworth in the 90s?

I don't have a problem with life today ,I was just defending life in the sixties as you were implying that all we had was strife.