Amber Rudd - no surprise.

Yes I think anybody in political office should be prepared to be scrutinised. If there is nothing to hide why is there a problem?

---------- Post added 23-09-2016 at 21:02 ----------

My tax status has nothing to do with it. Nothing removes or limits my right to ask questions.

I'm no fan of Rudd.

I despise the press taking the moral high ground in these matters. A few newspaper owners ought to look into their own practices before demanding others open up their finances to be 'scrutinised.'

https://leftfootforward.org/2015/10/daily-mails-tax-dodge-hypocricy-over-facebook-insult/

Edited by Santo

problem is we want scandanavian style public services whilst paying American type taxes, hence in the uk we have the worst public services in north west Europe and scandanavia.

I'm no fan of Rudd.

I despise the press taking the moral high ground in these matters. A few newspaper owners ought to look into their own practices before demanding others open up their finances to be 'scrutinised.'

https://leftfootforward.org/2015/10/daily-mails-tax-dodge-hypocricy-over-facebook-insult/

make your mind up you either support these tax avoiders or you dont :roll::hihi:

He's also stated he pays builders and sparks cash to avoid paying VAT, which is VAT fraud.

Again, it is NOT illegal to pay tradesmen cash

Again, it is NOT illegal to pay tradesmen cash

No, but you admitted on this forum its to avoid VAT. WHICH IS!

In case you'd forgotten:

"If i asked my plumber , or sparky for an invoice i would have to pay the old VAT , so i pay pound notes and bag myself a discount for cash."

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=11472224#post11472224

Edited by Santo

In case you'd forgotten:

"If i asked my plumber , or sparky for an invoice i would have to pay the old VAT , so i pay pound notes and bag myself a discount for cash."

and??? everyone does it:roll:

he likes to stick up for the right kind of avoiders thou :hihi::hihi:

In case you'd forgotten:

But that's the tradesman doing something illegal, not the customer

But that's the tradesman doing something illegal, not the customer

Nope, it's illegal if you know you are paying cash for the purposes of avoiding VAT. Look it up.

---------- Post added 23-09-2016 at 21:46 ----------

he likes to stick up for the right kind of avoiders thou :hihi::hihi:

Nope. I don't like any tax evaders. There's a difference between avoidance and evasion. You should learn that and put your inane laughing emoji away.

---------- Post added 23-09-2016 at 21:49 ----------

Maybe so. Your point? It's ok if enough people do it?

Nope, it's illegal if you know you are paying cash for the purposes of avoiding VAT. Look it up.

Correct. It is illegal to pay in cash for the purposes of avoiding VAT. I am not sure how anyone would enforce such a law, as apart from admitting to it I'm not sure how anyone could claim you were doing it to avoid VAT.

I don't pay tradesman in cash for that reason, indeed I feel uncomfortable when a tradesman tells me I can get a knock down price if I pay in cash. I want to contribute to the exchequer.

Correct. It is illegal to pay in cash for the purposes of avoiding VAT. I am not sure how anyone would enforce such a law, as apart from admitting to it I'm not sure how anyone could claim you were doing it to avoid VAT.

I don't pay tradesman in cash for that reason, indeed I feel uncomfortable when a tradesman tells me I can get a knock down price if I pay in cash. I want to contribute to the exchequer.

Businesses are checked on a random basis or investigations are carried out based on tip-offs and other intelligence based enquiries. The VAT man can quite easily discover fraud and subsequently decide to investigate customers as well.

If you have evaded VAT try explaining to the VAT man why you had work done but can't provide the invoice.

:)

it is not the customers problem how when or where the job price is recorded, it is the tradesmen s responsibility to declare the income!