What's a decent salary in Sheffield?

I'm a 51 year old guy who has lived overseas for pretty much the last 20 years. I came back to the UK for a six week break earlier this year and for completely random reasons based myself in Sheffield, because I had some friends here.

While here I met a few companies in my line of work, and was last night offered a role paying 60k.

I have no idea what living costs are like in Sheffield - being a quasi tourist last time round i didn't really think about costs. But I really liked the vibe in Sheffield and am seriously thinking of spending a few years back in the UK.

I will be alone for a few months getting myself sorted, and then my better half will join me.

What are the average costs for things like rent, utilities, transport, food etc there? Obviously everyone has different needs, but I'd be very interested to get a gauge from some of you guys.

Thanks in advance for indulging me.

Well if you want to live in a mansion and drive a Porsche, 60k probably wouldn't cut it. But if you live in a small terrace and drive an old Vauxhall, it's more than adequate...

I don't think other people can really answer this one for you!

Well if you want to live in a mansion and drive a Porsche, 60k probably wouldn't cut it. But if you live in a small terrace and drive an old Vauxhall, it's more than adequate...

I think you could get much more than a small terrace and a clapped out old banger on 60k!

Fair enough. My thoughts are to rent a 2 bed place in an area like Broomhill or Netheredge. I'm not sure I'll even need a car - but we'll see.

I can search here for rent and sale prices. What i was more interested in was getting some input on what posters in Sheffield tend to spend on things like power, tv, transport. On those issues, I literally have no clue.

It depends on what savings you bring back. if you as a 51 year old want to buy a house and car from scratch then 60k is going to be spent easily.

On the other hand, if the sale of a house overseas gives you the means to buy cash here then you will have a decent lifestyle.

To rent a three bed semi in a good area will be £800-£1300 a month.

A 2/3 bed terrace in a convenient spot £550-£695 a month.

A decent mass produced car 3 years old can be got for £10,000

Bills will be dependant on usage and type of house, anywhere between £500 - £1300 PA Rates

Gas/Electricity £80-£200 per month. Both figures based on middle of the road houses.

A Sky package £80

Daily bus travel £5

A good night out with taxi home £60 !!

Edited by andrejuan

It depends on what savings you bring back. if you as a 51 year old want to buy a house and car from scratch then 60k is going to be spent easily.

On the other hand, if the sale of a house overseas gives you the means to buy cash here then you will have a decent lifestyle.

To rent a three bed semi in a good area will be £800-£1300 a month.

A 2/3 bed terrace in a convenient spot £550-£695 a month.

A decent mass produced car 3 years old can be got for £10,000

Bills will be dependant on usage and type of house, anywhere between £500 - £1300 PA Rates

Gas/Electricity £80-£200 per month. Both figures based on middle of the road houses.

A Sky package £80

Daily bus travel £5

A good night out with taxi home £60 !!

Thanks. That's helpful.

No, I'm not starting from scratch. I'm only planning on being in the UK 3 years; after that I'll retire back to Asia where I have a couple of properties. And I'll be keeping my savings invested around the world. The most I will bring back as 'seed capital' is around 15k . . just to kick start things.