The consequence thread (Brexit)

so now we are out of the eu what laws/regulations would you like to keep/change that would affect how you run your business?

I would like them to remain as they are but I know that's not possible now. I honestly haven't heard anything credible, backed up with facts for a positive outcome to Brexit. People can say it will be a positive move but nobody has been able to back up their comments with facts. I'm not saying everything was perfect and I can see pros and cons of being in the EU but I can't see anything positive for Brexit.

I really worry now for the future of UK manufacturing which will have a knock on effect to our standard of living. I cringe when people talk about the big car manufacturers still wanting to sell here etc but they are forgetting we only make money when we sell things not buy them.

I do hope I'm wrong and there will be some positive outcomes to Brexit. I have read a lot of the thread and still can't see anything positive in Brexit.

and the 52% of people who voted on thursday wanted change so voted out what part of that cant you grasp :loopy:

i grasp it all

you miss the point, perhaps deliberately

the laws which are derived from eu directives cover all sorts of things, these are things which would have had to have been dealt with by the uk government whether we had been in the eu or not.

there are of course the ones which govern free movement and the eu institutions which will need revising or maybe not if we get a "norway" deal but why shouldn't we leave the others alone?

are you an employee? most of the employment protections you have other then the minimum wage have come from eu directives are you willing to have those protections removed from you?

I really thought we were done with the Alf Garrnett era. We've gone backwards.

The amount of people who voted exit without any proper thought process or critical thinking is shocking.

If anything positive as come out of this is that it's restored my faith in most youngsters. Well done :)

I think this is a very good and constructive question. I'm very curious as to which rules and laws people would like to see change. Not that there is a lot of prospect of it happening any time soon, but people voted out, so what do they want?

bendy bananas mostly...oh and to export haggis

I would like to add......EU regs have ensured a level playing field in terms of environmental and waste legislation. The regs have helped protect the environment. I see the consultations, EU regs then the consultations when they are opened here in the UK. The regs can often be interpreted differently in member states and we do sometime cause problems for ourselves with the interpretations. England and Wales implement different guidance and regs, Scotland another slightly different version. I don't follow any of the waste issues in Ireland.

People are commenting that it will be two years before it affects us but a lot of the trans frontier shipments were not taking bookings a couple of weeks ago. If this is the case we will have to build a lot more treatment and disposal capacity in the UK. It will be interesting to see if any of the NIMBYS objecting to building waste incinerators etc voted Brexit. I wonder if they realised this would be one of the consequences?

Edit - I voted in for the reasons stated in my posts. I see the EU and UK consultations and the final regs implemented. I see how this affects manufacturing.

I also see how EU regs have protected workers rights. A lot of Brexiters don't seem to have researched things but have gone on "scaremongering" and gossip.

Edited by Chez2
typo

Congratulations for all the Leave voters. Let's hope you get what you want.

Because what I didn't want is already happening. The pound crashes to its lowest point since Thatcher, the Nikkei lost 7% in a few hours, the Future options on the European markets point to at least a similar loss just on opening this morning. Who knows where it will end.

So let's keep track of the consequences in this thread.

Shall we change it to the hysterics thread,so much purile B/S going around

it's laughable.

I would like them to remain as they are but I know that's not possible now. I honestly haven't heard anything credible, backed up with facts for a positive outcome to Brexit. People can say it will be a positive move but nobody has been able to back up their comments with facts. I'm not saying everything was perfect and I can see pros and cons of being in the EU but I can't see anything positive for Brexit.

I really worry now for the future of UK manufacturing which will have a knock on effect to our standard of living. I cringe when people talk about the big car manufacturers still wanting to sell here etc but they are forgetting we only make money when we sell things not buy them.

I do hope I'm wrong and there will be some positive outcomes to Brexit. I have read a lot of the thread and still can't see anything positive in Brexit.

so in your line of business governed by the eu theres nothing you would change ? what if the uk now said it dont matter about asbestos waste now being double wrapped and whatever and they said just stick it in the builders rubble how would you feel about that (an exaggeration i know but just humour me )

she runs a business which looking at it has been governed by eu laws/regulations/directives what i ask of her is to say what she would alter/keep etc

Yes, I realise that. And I would like to know which EU laws/regulations/directives you want to alter or keep. It isn't a trick question Ric, I am genuinely curious. Remember, I am completely caught out by the argument that the EU is doing bad horrible mean things to the UK, so I simply don't know what it is that people want to change.

i grasp it all

you miss the point, perhaps deliberately

the laws which are derived from eu directives cover all sorts of things, these are things which would have had to have been dealt with by the uk government whether we had been in the eu or not.

there are of course the ones which govern free movement and the eu institutions which will need revising or maybe not if we get a "norway" deal but why shouldn't we leave the others alone?

are you an employee? most of the employment protections you have other then the minimum wage have come from eu directives are you willing to have those protections removed from you?

I see most being left in place in the short term. However, in time, governments will be under pressure to chip away at them on the basis that they are stopping british industry being competitive. I think that some environmental ones will be at risk (these are ones I have some little knowledge of, through work). Maybe workers rights ones at risk as well, I don't know about them, though.

There is a strong libertarian free market ethic amongst some in the Conservative Party. I believe they could do much more to change the look and feel of this country than any amount of immigrants will, and cause permanent harm, if they were given a free hand. Up until now, I think they have been held in check by EU directives, so have not been too worried. Without that, and without a credible opposition, that just adds to my concern for the country. I hope my fears are unfounded.

I really thought we were done with the Alf Garrnett era. We've gone backwards.

The amount of people who voted exit without any proper thought process or critical thinking is shocking.

If anything positive as come out of this is that it's restored my faith in most youngsters. Well done :)

Although too many of them couldn't be bothered to get off their arses and vote.

so in your line of business governed by the eu theres nothing you would change ? what if the uk now said it dont matter about asbestos waste now being double wrapped and whatever and they said just stick it in the builders rubble how would you feel about that (an exaggeration i know but just humour me )

How do you think I would feel? :confused:Thats why I am happy with the EU regs. There are some aspects I'm not too keen on eg the permitted size and shape of fruit and veg for sale but our supermarkets are much worse at creating food waste for purely cosmetic reasons.

I also worry about the lack of EU funding now for our Farmers and Science. These don't really directly affect my business though but they do indirectly as waste is spread on farm land and Science is linked to what I do as I mainly deal with hazardous or problematic waste.

Edited by Chez2
typo