South Yorks Police in trouble again

The problem is that Ben Needham vanished 25 years since and in most people's eyes there is zero chance of finding him after that length of time.

Given that some people will say that the officers are off to Kos for a holiday, because if they haven't found Ben in 25 years they aren't going to now. So when you start getting stories of them being in a bar for eight hours their behaviour is only feeding that attitude, and they surely should realise this.

I don't believe any of that there is always hope 25 years means nothing he could be found at anytime and I really hope he is,it's wrong to say there isn't any hope when Bens family may read this.

Listened to Kerry Needham on breakfast tele and she had nothing but praise for the officers in Greece saying how good they were to her and her family and the fact they were entitled to downtime. If she has no problem with it cannot see how anybody else should.

Taxpayers money should be spent solving current crimes in the UK. I suspect there was no shortage of Police volunteering to go to Greece.

I have seen this sort of desperate journalism before.

There is a bandwagon rolling here, after Hillsborough lets see what else we can smear the force with.

Officers - even those on assignment elsewhere are still entitled to time off just like the rest of us in the working world.

If I had a secondment in Greece, Spain or wherever I too may choose to have some drinks, lay on a beach or sit by a pool during my time off.

Very well said chap.

Dear God - the gutter press must seriously be short of 'news'.

---------- Post added 12-05-2016 at 18:10 ----------

Taxpayers money should be spent solving current crimes in the UK. I suspect there was no shortage of Police volunteering to go to Greece.

Taxpayers money should be spent solving crimes affecting British citizens....... and is.

Taxpayers money should be spent solving crimes affecting British citizens....... and is.

I disagree. It is the duty of the authorities in which the crime took place to investigate incidents. If a foreigner is a victim of crime in the UK, then it is the responsibility of the UK Police to investigate.

It is sad whatever happened to Ben Needham, but I don't think UK taxpayers money should be wasted on a Greek wild goose chase.

I can't understand why the lead officer has been recalled home. Surely it would have been cheaper to speak to him on the phone!

I disagree. It is the duty of the authorities in which the crime took place to investigate incidents. If a foreigner is a victim of crime in the UK, then it is the responsibility of the UK Police to investigate.

It is sad whatever happened to Ben Needham, but I don't think UK taxpayers money should be wasted on a Greek wild goose chase.

Tell that to his mother

I can't understand why the lead officer has been recalled home. Surely it would have been cheaper to speak to him on the phone!

I thought this monkey, but with all the bad press lately, they probably thought this was the 'correct action for the media'. This was a tabloid non-story, but had they actually just spoken to him on the phone, that would probably would be tomorrow's story, 'SYP didn't do enough'.

I think Sheffielders should follow suit and stop selling/buying this rag.

The problem is that Ben Needham vanished 25 years since and in most people's eyes there is zero chance of finding him after that length of time.

Given that some people will say that the officers are off to Kos for a holiday, because if they haven't found Ben in 25 years they aren't going to now. So when you start getting stories of them being in a bar for eight hours their behaviour is only feeding that attitude, and they surely should realise this.

You know what officers don't do. They don't decide for themselves what crimes to go and investigate.

Tell that to his mother

Not a classy comment.

It makes common sense for the Police to use resources to investigate the 140 thousand children who go missing in the UK each year rather than divert resources to a mystery which happened 20 years ago on foreign soil and already has been heavily investigated.

At what age are you suggesting that crimes be entirely written off then?

You know what officers don't do. They don't decide for themselves what crimes to go and investigate.

Sure, but SYP have got a bad reputation right now, whether deservedly so or not.

So the one thing you don't do is give your critics any more ammunition; and I'm afraid these officers have done that.