Speeding camera (M1 Northbound before J29)

Why are they stealth?

The government did say last year that all new and replacement speed cameras should be in lumious yellow from now on.

This was after people started moaning about the ones on the M25

Strange the ones going up on the M1 are grey.

They're easy enough to spot during the day, but at night they blend into the night-time gloom.

They are to enforce the limit when signs are lshowing a reduced/ different speed limit and are only active when sped limit is reduced etc ,the other one are live regardless off weather a reduced limit is in place or not

The ones behind the gantries do NOT only work when there is a variable speed limit in place. They are active 24.7

I have witnessed them flash with the NSP. Giving false information like this could cause people to get points and fines.

Courtesy of the third post in this thread: http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/highways-chiefs-reveal-m62-cameras-6152759

Edited by Revel

Isn't that only on the M62??

There are similar ones on the M1, near Nottingham and I don't think I've ever seen them go off for NSL.

There are similar ones on the M1, near Nottingham and I don't think I've ever seen them go off for NSL.

They most definitely do.

They most definitely do.

When the new section around Wakefield/M62 turnoff on the M1 was opened I saw the camaras flashing many times with no variable speed indicated but not noticed it happen as much recently. If the purpose of cameras is safety surely the knowledge that they ARE were working is a far better deterrent than issuing a fine to someone a few days/weeks after they've done the offence.

They are to enforce the limit when signs are lshowing a reduced/ different speed limit and are only active when sped limit is reduced etc ,the other one are live regardless off weather a reduced limit is in place or not

Many thanks for information, but you can see why I am confused when we also have the following:-

The ones behind the gantries do NOT only work when there is a variable speed limit in place. They are active 24.7

I have witnessed them flash with the NSP. Giving false information like this could cause people to get points and fines.

Courtesy of the third post in this thread: http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/highways-chiefs-reveal-m62-cameras-6152759

They most definitely do.

When the new section around Wakefield/M62 turnoff on the M1 was opened I saw the camaras flashing many times with no variable speed indicated but not noticed it happen as much recently. If the purpose of cameras is safety surely the knowledge that they ARE were working is a far better deterrent than issuing a fine to someone a few days/weeks after they've done the offence.

Many thanks all for the information, it does seem a lot of confusion but would seem the solution is to set the cruise control (or speed limiter) to 70 and all should be well - assuming there is no lower speed set, in a red circle, on the matrix.

And that brings another question; is the displayed speed limit only mandatory if within a red circle? Without the red circle is it only advisory?

Has anyone seen different speeds displayed over each lane, ie 40 for lane 1, 50 for lane 2, 60 for lanes 3 and 4? Personally I can't see this as being safe or practical.

Many thanks for information, but you can see why I am confused when we also have the following:-

Many thanks all for the information, it does seem a lot of confusion but would seem the solution is to set the cruise control (or speed limiter) to 70 and all should be well - assuming there is no lower speed set, in a red circle, on the matrix.

And that brings another question; is the displayed speed limit only mandatory if within a red circle? Without the red circle is it only advisory?

Has anyone seen different speeds displayed over each lane, ie 40 for lane 1, 50 for lane 2, 60 for lanes 3 and 4? Personally I can't see this as being safe or practical.

I would think whoever manages these things will like to keep the uncertainty in place to net more fine money.

I think it's due to the colour they are, going at 70mph or more it wont be too easy to spot, especially if you're not in the 1st lane and or it's busy and you're trying to concentrate on the traffic.

My point was that there are far more GATSO cameras positioned behind matrix boards that aren't visible at all from the carriageway they are used on than these new cameras that are in plain view. They will also start to be painted yellow later this year making them more visible.

The majority of competent drivers are more than capable of driving overly the ridiculously low 70 limit and having to stick to that speed at certain times of night is ludicrous and only backed up by bitter non drivers and people who are not capable of driving at a reasonable speed and therefore shouldn't be on the road.

I agree with you being a competent driver myself of over 25 years for a living..... But why moan about it just use a camera warning database like I do myself (PGPSW database updated every week), be it on a phone, vehicle sat-nav or stand alone sat-nav, so you don't speed where the cameras are located. ;)

If you ever get pulled by a police officer (not a camera) for speeding on a motorway at night be sure to keep me posted on how your above argument goes down with them face to face won't you.... ;)

That's correct - a mandatory speed limit has red circle around it, otherwise it is advisory.

Different lanes will not have different speed limits in force.

My point was that there are far more GATSO cameras positioned behind matrix boards that aren't visible at all from the carriageway they are used on than these new cameras that are in plain view. They will also start to be painted yellow later this year making them more visible.

I agree with you being a competent driver myself of over 25 years for a living..... But why moan about it just use a camera warning database like I do myself (PGPSW database updated every week), be it on a phone, vehicle sat-nav or stand alone sat-nav, so you don't speed where the cameras are located. ;)

If you ever get pulled by a police officer (not a camera) for speeding on a motorway at night be sure to keep me posted on how your above argument goes down with them face to face won't you.... ;)

If I ever see a police officer on a motorway again I will :hihi:

I also drive for a living and what I have quoted from you is not very good from a real professional drivers point of view :rant:

I don't need any type of warning database or any other speed warning alert. The reason is I observe the road ahead and adjust speed accordingly (whether I agree with it or not). With this obsession about speeding with authorities in this country at a ridiculous high in my view it is far easier to abide by the law and stick to the limit (which is not a target ;) I must add)

I do nigh on 2000 miles most weeks as a professional lorry driver and have clean licence and other required qualification cards.

Speed cameras only bother me when I'm behind someone who I've been following at 50 mph for quite a long time in a 50 limit, so no problems. Then a speed camera appears - and we slow to 40!!??? :huh::huh: WHY?

Apart from that - crack on driver!

I would think whoever manages these things will like to keep the uncertainty in place to net more fine money.

People can combat this uncertainty by not speeding and you won't get fined. Why is it such a problem for people to obey the limit??