Apple rejects order to unlock gunman's phone

Absolute right to keep mobile phone encrypted? Apple v Govt  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Absolute right to keep mobile phone encrypted? Apple v Govt

• Apple are right and the mans phone should remain encrypted
    • Govt are right and in this case Apple should give them access.

Apple will contest a court order to help FBI investigators access data on the phone belonging to San Bernardino gunman Syed Rizwan Farook.

The company had been ordered to help the FBI circumvent security software on Farook's iPhone, which the FBI said contained crucial information.

In a statement, Apple chief executive Tim Cook said: "The United States government has demanded that Apple take an unprecedented step which threatens the security of our customers."

"We oppose this order, which has implications far beyond the legal case at hand."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35594245

Dont normally start threads, but I think this story is a really interesting one.

Right to privacy v public interest.

I prefer privacy and dont paricularly trust the government, but id be prepared to let the government look at my mobile and I suppose that would be e-mail as well, but the test would have to be stringent as well as safeguards to make sure it wasnt the thin end of the wedge.

The FBI aren't asking for Apple to change their technology to give them access to a single phone (as part of a criminal enquiry) but to all phones. The FBI have created the problem by trying to get spying powers using this high profile case (and others) as a front/excuse. It isn't subtle, they can't be trusted and should be resisted. Good on Apple.

The FBI aren't asking for Apple to change their technology to give them access to a single phone (as part of a criminal enquiry) but to all phones. The FBI have created the problem by trying to get spying powers using this high profile case (and others) as a front/excuse. It isn't subtle, they can't be trusted and should be resisted. Good on Apple.

Very true.

Not really true.

They are asking Apple to create a technique that could be applied to all phones, but to then apply it to this one phone.

It won't suddenly give them the power (or the authority) to go around using it on any phone they like...

"Opposing this order is not something we take lightly. We feel we must speak up in the face of what we see as an overreach by the US government."

Farook and his wife killed 14 people in the California city last December before police fatally shot them.

I'm not sure what the overreach is. The court that granted the order has the power to do so...

Not really true.

They are asking Apple to create a technique that could be applied to all phones, but to then apply it to this one phone.

It won't suddenly give them the power (or the authority) to go around using it on any phone they like...

They are asking them to remove the technology that has been built to delete content after 10 failed login attempts. If they did that then it means a 'brute force' attack can be used to gain access to any phone.

Apple built the technology because of repeated efforts by law enforcement and security services to find ways to snoop on anyone they wanted to. They have made it an 'all or nothing' issue when it didn't need to be. And given that choice, I believe it should be nothing.