Do you think 15mph speedlimits would help reduce accidents?

rogets

Probably in areas such as Walkley or even Ecclesall road as you often see young people wandering into the road while they are on their mobile phones.

I know it may inconvenience some but surely it has to be better than seeing a sad faced pedestrian bouncing on your bonnet after you've accidently drove into that person.

To me it would make the roads safer for everyone

I believe over in the States jaywalking is an offence. Maybe we should have the same law here.

Angel1.

Lets get rid of all speed limits, speed humps and camera's and have one law.

Roads are for cars and other forms of transport.

That's it they rule its their road.

If you cross they road the onus is on you to be careful if you get knocked down its your fault after all the road is for cars it is a dangerous place.

The Green cross code should be made law, if you cross the road with out using it you will get fined and penalty points added to your errmm um Walking Licence!

Walking across the road with earphones or on the phone or any distraction what's so ever should be completely against the law, as would be crossing the road with using a crossing when one is a short walk away.

That's safety on crossing sorted.

As for drivers if you crash, cause a crash, involved in a crash or see a crash you car will be taken from you and you will never be allowed to drive again. If you break that ban instant 10 year prison sentence same for drink driving zero tolerance.

Why should there be a reduction in speed limits, just because people don't have the brains they were born with.

Because you would probably get there sooner if you weren't allowed to exceed 15mph on those and many other roads. I think that 15mph might be an excellent idea.

Why should there be a reduction in speed limits, just because people don't have the brains they were born with.

And you have the brains you were born with? If you could only use them.

There are people with disabilities. I lose my consciousness while walking near the road less than once a year. But when that happens there is nothing I can do about it. Then when these idiot drivers start beeping the condition only gets worse.

Many north American/Canadian cities residential areas max limit was a crawlalong pace long before UK started to experiment with it. It is pretty clear that it is a lot safer.

There are people with disabilities. I lose my consciousness while walking near the road less than once a year. But when that happens there is nothing I can do about it. Then when these idiot drivers start beeping the condition only gets worse.

Many north American/Canadian cities residential areas max limit was a crawlalong pace long before UK started to experiment with it. It is pretty clear that it is a lot safer.

The 'op' states people using mobiles,no mention of disabled people.its hardly the fault of the driver if some one playing on their phones whilst not looking what they are doing.

Probably in areas such as Walkley or even Ecclesall road as you often see young people wandering into the road while they are on their mobile phones.

I know it may inconvenience some but surely it has to be better than seeing a sad faced pedestrian bouncing on your bonnet after you've accidently drove into that person.

To me it would make the roads safer for everyone

No, I think they'd be universally ignored.

---------- Post added 09-02-2016 at 10:01 ----------

My car computes average speed. If I'm just doing city driving around Sheffield it's a remarkably consistent 14.8 mph.

So we don't need a speed limit.

If the maximum was 15, then your average might drop to 8.

---------- Post added 09-02-2016 at 10:03 ----------

How does it get worse? Do you become more unconscious?

Passing out whilst on the pavement must be unpleasant, but not highly dangerous. Passing out whilst using a recognised crossing more dangerous, but passing out whilst crossing at any other point, that could be very dangerous, so I guess you're careful to cross safely.

I'm surprised you can manage 15mph next to Asda. Parking everywhere, the 95 bus squeezing thru, drivers who won't wait & shoot a gap only to find they've log-jammed the situation, traffic wardens playing with their orange lights and beating their chests .... the list goes on.

Banning cars would reduce accidents. But clearly you have to find a compromise between rival groups. Pedestrians have as a much responsibility to avoid accidents as car drivers. Perhaps rather than reducing speed limits, pedestrians should start to face charges for causing an accident or walking without due care an attention. I'm not trolling, I'm being at least half serious. Until we stop viewing roads as some kind of war zone between cars, cyclists and pedestrians and start realising we all have collective responsibility then we will get nowhere.

If the maximum was 15, then your average might drop to 8.

That's not how it works with variable speed limits where average speeds increase with lower maximum speeds, but the reality is that 20mph maximum speeds in dense urban streets don't make any meaningful difference to journey times and neither would 15mph.