Black Swan landlord in the '60s?

Yes the Essoldo, previously the Empire, I think Terry's dad actually owned the place and was the previous frontman. Terry could always be seen hustling for business with his monkey suit and bowtie at the front of the Cinema. He actually did some live shows there too, I saw Craig Douglas and a few other non descripts late fifties/ early sixties.

---------- Post added 08-02-2016 at 18:36 ----------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw Emile Ford there on stage . I also saw The Flea Rekkers (one hit wonder - Sunday Date) there. They were also on stage, A friend of mine appeared in The King and I on stage there. I think that was by the Steel Peach & Tozer Operatic Society. They were good times

Edited by Nigel Womersle
Wrong spelling of a word - appeared.

You are right, the guy was called Mick, would be late 60s/70 now. Nice bloke. It was the miners specials I was thinking of. When I first went there were groups later it became go go dancers.

Mick Lee, he had the Greengate at High Green, then he went to a nightlclub in Derbyshire (Fiveways?) he then went to open Mulberry in 1976. Good landlord, like a lot of others at the time victim of lousy brewery management. Looked a lot like Terry, a younger version.

I worked with Terry Steeples Father in Law in the Steelworks. Terry was one of the old fashioned entreprenural showman who never stopped coming up with new ideas to attract customers.One time he had the Kon Tiki boat on show at the Rotherham Essoldo. He also had a gift of getting top acts to appear at the places he managed & many people saw stars & bands that they would have never seen if it hadn't been for him. A great character missed by many.

Happy Days! PopT

Mick Lee, he had the Greengate at High Green, then he went to a nightlclub in Derbyshire (Fiveways?) he then went to open Mulberry in 1976. Good landlord, like a lot of others at the time victim of lousy brewery management. Looked a lot like Terry, a younger version.

Yeah, funny how I forgot his name, but he told me a lot of bobby stories in the Greengate around 1974, especially when he knew I originated from the Rotherham area. I suppose you knew a Sgt Dawson with the Jimmy Edwards moustache. He was a tough cookie, as I can attest to, well Mick told of how he was in a patrol car with a young constable and he told the youngster to chase him and stop him. The young bobby had no idea why,. Dawson approached the car and the driver appeared to give all the right answers, but, Dawson called him a few names and had the young lad arrest him for car theft. The younger bobby had no clue how the sergeant knew, until he was enlightened by another cop. The car turned out to be Sgt Dawson's own car stolen from his driveway LOL

---------- Post added 09-02-2016 at 20:09 ----------

Yes the Essoldo, previously the Empire, I think Terry's dad actually owned the place and was the previous frontman. Terry could always be seen hustling for business with his monkey suit and bowtie at the front of the Cinema. He actually did some live shows there too, I saw Craig Douglas and a few other non descripts late fifties/ early sixties.

---------- Post added 08-02-2016 at 18:36 ----------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw Emile Ford there on stage . I also saw The Flea Rekkers (one hit wonder - Sunday Date) there. They were also on stage, A friend of mine appeared in The King and I on stage there. I think that was by the Steel Peach & Tozer Operatic Society. They were good times

Emile Ford, yes I was at that one too, often thought I saw him at Rotherham

baths, but now you mention it, it was the Essoldo. Also saw the film Davy Crocket, and the first cinemascope film, The Robe there too, among many others.:) I remember larking around in the "gods" a lot as a kid. Steeples would come and toss you out himself if you were noisy enough lol.

EdmundH - Timebox were superb and always a full house. Who was the band that had 2 singers but one always wore a black leather glove 'allegedly' he only had one hand? Something Lace was it? Great Band.

Would that be Paper Lace (The night Chicago died etc.) ?

---------- Post added 14-02-2016 at 16:17 ----------

Yep... The "Scouse git" is still alive and kicking... He'll be 85 this year...

Shirley Temple lol :D

No I am informed it was New Formula - which you immediately remember when somebody tells you! Great Band.

I'm sorry I was just replying to the part where you said something Lace, and I know they were a Sheffield band. I wasn't watching too much live music, late sixties /early seventies as I had started a family during those years and didn't get downtown a whole lot at night..