Politicians now want a four day working week.

Businesses employ them for their influence, not their expertise. And they pay them ridiculous money, more than most people earn in a year, for the privilege. They're a lobbyists dream.

MPs only sit for about half the week for half the year. Give me some evidence that all their 'spare time' is spent working for their constituency.

My MP holds surgeries every other Saturday all day. In addition to all the other stuff he does during the week

You can easily find the record of what they are doing if you look. It's not just sat in the chamber debating - there is so much more to it than that. If that's really all you think they do, then really Anna you need to read up on what actually happens in the Palace of Westminster before making these rather foolish looking statements.

---------- Post added 24-12-2015 at 12:04 ----------

It must be as the majority seem to have time to have another paid job.

---------- Post added 23-12-2015 at 22:25 ----------

Like I said earlier, their term is usually for 5 years so it would take that long to vote them out, in the mean time you are stuck with what you have and cant change it.

You know that you can recall an MP before that time now...?

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/25/pdfs/ukpga_20150025_en.pdf

They get money for old rope as it is, they should have to fill in a time sheet every day to justify their wages. We the working classes should be having the easy time not our overpaid underworked masters who are supposed to work for us,they all **** in the same pot and are all as bad as each other.

They do fill in a time sheet every day and it's available to their constituents if they wish. If you want the information simply email your MP's office and ask for it. It's a lot easier than coming on here and having people guess what MPs do.

You know that you can recall an MP before that time now...?

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/25/pdfs/ukpga_20150025_en.pdf

I was replying to this from Unbeliever:

Quote:"If you don't think your MP is working hard enough, or doing a good enough job, or even if you just don't like the look of him/her; vote for somebody else."

And if you read that act then you will realise that it not something an individual can easily do given the above, as certain conditions must be met first. Namely; the first, second and third recall conditions must be met.

So as I stated, voting for someone else means you have to wait till the next election unless the act is enforceable.

---------- Post added 24-12-2015 at 13:36 ----------

They do fill in a time sheet every day and it's available to their constituents if they wish.

Are you sure? If so can you point me to the legislation on that as I cant find any, only that time-sheets have to be filled in by the people MP's employ.

Are you sure? If so can you point me to the legislation on that as I cant find any, only that time-sheets have to be filled in by the people MP's employ.

It's a lot easer to email your MP's office than ask a random stranger to supply links to legislation which may or may not exist.

It's a lot easer to email your MP's office than ask a random stranger to supply links to legislation which may or may not exist.

Sorry but I thought as you wrote "they do fill in a time sheet everyday" you knew the legislation existed..:confused: Now you are saying it may or may not exist, so how do you know they fill in a time-sheet or is that just a guess?

Sorry but I thought as you wrote "they do fill in a time sheet everyday" you knew the legislation existed..:confused: Now you are saying it may or may not exist, so how do you know they fill in a time-sheet or is that just a guess?

How many hours a week do you consider to be full time?

Edited by 999tigger

I know 5 serving MPs and 3 retired ones all of who fill/filled in time sheets/diaries so that if their constituents were interested they could request sight of them.

Why are you wasting time querying total strangers on the internet when a simple email will satisfy your curiosity?

PS It's your turn to answer a question.

I know 5 serving MPs and 3 retired ones all of who fill/filled in time sheets/diaries so that if their constituents were interested they could request sight of them.

I find it hard to believe that you have discussed this very subject with them but will give the benefit of doubt.

Why are you wasting time querying total strangers on the internet when a simple email will satisfy your curiosity?

PS It's your turn to answer a question.

Because I can, and as this is the Christmas recess for Parliament I am unlikely to get an answer any time soon from any MP. This is a forum where serving councillors, ex-councillors and potential councillors are members of and maybe they would know, or could answer.

You also seem to have experience in the matter so are hardly a random stranger. Did you not stand for Labour in Stannington at the locals?

I find it hard to believe that you have discussed this very subject with them but will give the benefit of doubt.

Because I can, and as this is the Christmas recess for Parliament I am unlikely to get an answer any time soon from any MP. This is a forum where serving councillors, ex-councillors and potential councillors are members of and maybe they would know, or could answer.

You also seem to have experience in the matter so are hardly a random stranger. Did you not stand for Labour in Stannington at the locals?

So how many hours do you consider to be full time?

Businesses employ them for their influence, not their expertise. And they pay them ridiculous money, more than most people earn in a year, for the privilege. They're a lobbyists dream.

I see. You're now suggesting that all our MPs are corrupt. I would ask for evidence, but I expect you'd just ask me to prove that they're not corrupt.

I see. You're now suggesting that all our MPs are corrupt. I would ask for evidence, but I expect you'd just ask me to prove that they're not corrupt.

not all only the ones who were caught claiming for duck ponds/claiming for offices in their garage (googles your friend if you need further info ):suspect::hihi:

Don't forget Malcolm Rifkind actually bragged on camera about how much free time he had.

"He said: “You’d be surprised how much free time I have. I spend a lot of time reading, I spend a lot of time walking."