Working New Year's Day

Hey all,

So this week I got my rota for over the festive season. As per I got Xmas eve/boxing day. Then I was told to work at 8:30am on New Years morning.

Now, I'm not sure what planet my managers are on but the first bus starts at 8:00, the travel time is an hour and half. This means I'll arrive at 9:30.

The best part is I work in retail and store won't open till gone 10am.

I'm at a loss my coworker starts at 9 (but she is 16 and not drinking) and the next one in is at 10.

So yea, do I be a missery guts and go to bed at 8 to wake up at 5am and start walking? Or do I just get the bus hungover as hell & late.

Edited by Philster07

Sorry but if you choose to work in retail (or are qualified for nothing else),thems the breaks. You're just gonna have to suck it up.

Sorry but if you choose to work in retail (or are qualified for nothing else),thems the breaks. You're just gonna have to suck it up.

I can imagine what Stephen and Gwyneth would have to say on this subject :hihi:

Didn't you explain the problem to your manager?

My first thought would be talk to your manager and ask for a reasonable options given the public transport, would they pay for a taxi? is the any chance of arranging a lift in with a colleague?

I used to have a similar problem, arranging a door2door minibus for staff, was my preferred option, we had a company minibus so it was easy.

Talk to your manager, or higher if need be.

I'm working new years day and Christmas day!! starting at 7am in Sheffield. I could give you a lift into town if you are anywhere near s20.

Hey all,

So this week I got my rota for over the festive season. As per I got Xmas eve/boxing day. Then I was told to work at 8:30am on New Years morning.

Now, I'm not sure what planet my managers are on but the first bus starts at 8:00, the travel time is an hour and half. This means I'll arrive at 9:30.

The best part is I work in retail and store won't open till gone 10am.

I'm at a loss my coworker starts at 9 (but she is 16 and not drinking) and the next one in is at 10.

So yea, do I be a missery guts and go to bed at 8 to wake up at 5am and start walking? Or do I just get the bus hungover as hell & late.

Any middle ground here at all? Turn up at 9.30 not hungover?

---------- Post added 21-12-2015 at 13:31 ----------

Did you need the bit in brackets? Really? All points to reasons why the service you get in retail in this country is light years behind other countries.

My first thought would be talk to your manager and ask for a reasonable options given the public transport, would they pay for a taxi? is the any chance of arranging a lift in with a colleague?

I used to have a similar problem, arranging a door2door minibus for staff, was my preferred option, we had a company minibus so it was easy.

Talk to your manager, or higher if need be.

what!?? of course they will..... for themselves of course. hee, hee ho ho ho! merry <removed> Christmas! :loopy::hihi::hihi:

Edited by Groose
masked swearing

what!?? of course they will..... for themselves of course. hee, hee ho ho ho! merry <removed> Christmas! :loopy::hihi::hihi:

I frequently used to spend the monthly petty cash allowance to treat the staff to a free lunch, at the end of the month if it hadn't been spent, as it was expected to be used, as it had been budgeted for.

A few Taxis at Xmas time would have easily been covered by the petty cash.

Nothing wrong with asking, it at least opens the question as to how the employer expects their staff to make their way in before the public transport starts.

90 minutes travel?

Where do you live? and where do you work?

I can imagine what Stephen and Gwyneth would have to say on this subject :hihi:

S&G from FK ?????

phone in sick...

---------- Post added 22-12-2015 at 13:36 ----------

phone in saying that your partner has gone out before you.... and!... he,s took your house keys!.. your locked in and cant get out till after 8 pm.