What happens to people who can't afford their social housing?

It sounds like a lot, its not always easy to get the figures to work out.

More people now rent privately, than social housing, so if its around 3.5 million of each type, there must be lots on housing benefit in privately rented too.

I rent, but lost housing benefit when I started earning more, I guess its the child element that makes many eligible.

I haven't seen any figures on it, but would have thought that housing benefit would be one of the reasons for increases in rent in private properties, a. Sort of self fulfilling prophesy.

There's been a big increase in 'buy to let' properties in recent years to service the demand and it makes you wonder that without the big increase in the housing benefit bill that houses might not be lower priced and subsequently rents lower.

No, why, have other posters on here also accused you of coping out?:hihi:

No never.

I've watched it.

Now can you provide the exact timeline where you claim it states:

'a minority claim it breaches 'their human rights'.

I couldn't find anyone quoting those words. :confused::huh:

Which constituent's story in particular were you talking about, was it the timber yard owner who thought he should be the exception when it came to compulsory purchase due to gentrification in the area?

If you'd watched it you'd heard it.

No never.

If you'd watched it you'd heard it.

Then kindly quote the timeline when it was said and WHO said it to whom.

Surely you can at least remember who said it to whom, since you seem to remember the quote, so why not the person who said it?:confused::suspect:

The government isn't giving these people a sense of responsibility, the great majority of people on low incomes or benefits pay their dues and demands because they are responsible.

Vulnerable people should be supported by society, but the people we are talking about here are the 'takers' and the feckless and just see housing benefit as an increase in income, they are aware that to be evicted especially from a council house is a protracted process and if they've got kids will be seen as 'vulnerable' so further accommodation will always be provided.

They might be as thick as a brick, but a lot of them still know the system inside out.

I don't disagree with you that these people who are irresponsible exist. They take, whilst putting nothing back, and personally, I don't have a lot of time for them. However, as you say, the great majority of people on low incomes or benefits pay their dues and demands because they are responsible.

I'm not sure what the answer is. I'm in social housing and I feel lucky for having one. I am aware that I have some neighbours who don't work, and haven't done for years. With rents so expensive, I guess their argument would be that they can't afford the rent / council tax etc.

Perhaps what social housing / council could do is give priority to those who put something back into the community i.e. volunteer, and give less priority to those who seem content to doss.

shouldn't that read as other people paying your mortgage for you:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Im not a charity . My properties are my pension pot .

If a tenant dosnt pay their rent its eviction time and i find a tenant who DOES pay the rent.

Why should a landlord let people live in their properties rent free. ?

I don't disagree with you that these people who are irresponsible exist. They take, whilst putting nothing back, and personally, I don't have a lot of time for them. However, as you say, the great majority of people on low incomes or benefits pay their dues and demands because they are responsible.

I'm not sure what the answer is. I'm in social housing and I feel lucky for having one. I am aware that I have some neighbours who don't work, and haven't done for years. With rents so expensive, I guess their argument would be that they can't afford the rent / council tax etc.

Perhaps what social housing / council could do is give priority to those who put something back into the community i.e. volunteer, and give less priority to those who seem content to doss.

I think you're right about 'putting something back' I'm sure that the majority of people on benefits would be prepared to work if they could get a job, but the perception of benefit scroungers created by the feckless affects them too.

I've been told by a local councellor that it's virtually impossible to evict families with kids as most of them are classed as 'vulnerable' and the council has a duty of care. So just like the people in charge, no one seems to know what the answer is.

Two thirds of social housing tenants are on housing benefit. Considering housing benefit is paid in arrears, you would expect at least two thirds to be in some form of arrears.

When I was a tenant under Sheffield Homes, you were considered to be in arrears after a week. Rent was due every Thursday, if the next Thursday came around and you hadn't paid it and set the account balance to zero, you were in arrears. If you paid rent monthly, then you were nearly always classed as being in arrears. I'd take the numbers of people supposedly in arrears in social housing with a pinch of salt unless they start talking long term arrears.

I've been told by a local councellor that it's virtually impossible to evict families with kids as most of them are classed as 'vulnerable' and the council has a duty of care. So just like the people in charge, no one seems to know what the answer is.

The council seem to have the same attitude when it comes to the tenancy agreement and getting tenants to look after their houses and gardens.

---------- Post added 08-12-2015 at 18:40 ----------

I'm in social housing and I feel lucky for having one. I am aware that I have some neighbours who don't work, and haven't done for years.

Most close to where I live seem ok, I dont know them to know if they work. But there is much jealousy about getting a council house, a friend of a friend no longer speak to me because she feels her children are more worthy of social housing. She must think that I killed someone in order to get a house.

I know, it's nuts.

Not paying your rent, for whatever reason, including not being able to afford it, is counted as making yourself intentionally homeless and therefore not eligible for any help.

And in spite of Social Services etc, a lot of them end up on the street.

This needs clarification. You are only homeless intentionally if you deliberately do something or fail to do something that you should have known would put your home at risk. Being hit by the Bedroom Tax, or being made redundant, do not result in you being found homeless intentionally. Signing for a tenancy that you knew at the outset you could not afford does.

---------- Post added 08-12-2015 at 21:29 ----------

Biggest problem is people think sky subscription's, cigs, booze, fancy TV's and electronics etc, are more important than paying rent, feeding and clothing their kids etc. Then blame everybody else when it all goes t*** up.

No. I have met very many homeless people or people at risk of homelessness, it's my job. Very few people think what you have put. A small few, yes, but very few.

---------- Post added 08-12-2015 at 21:31 ----------

Why cant they afford their rent? If they are working then they should get additional benefits to make sure their income is sufficient to be able to afford the rent.

If they are on benefits, then they should get a housing allowance which will cover their rent.

If they do not use the money they are given for the rent to pay it then they are in default. If there is some genuine reason for this, then they should contact the Housing authority or association to explain the facts they have run into difficulties.

Its the responsibility of the tenants to be able to budget so they pay their rent as a priority. If they cant manage a budget then they should have requested to have the rent paid directly to the landlord.

As you said its the Council, then presumably they evict the people becayse they are unhappy with them as tenants i.e non payers and its unfair on other tenants who pay. They might be under a duty to rehouse, but they are likely to be less desirable properties.

Eviction doesnt happen unless its dragged on and there are plenty of opportunities to come to an agreement. Its a last resort.

There are plenty of people hit by the bedroom tax who are struggling to get a smaller property. It's not their fault that housing benefit is not paying the full rent.

The myth about Sky TV and buying cigarettes and booze is common whenever talking about benefits.

Im not a charity . My properties are my pension pot .

If a tenant dosnt pay their rent its eviction time and i find a tenant who DOES pay the rent.

Why should a landlord let people live in their properties rent free. ?

ill take that as a yes then :roll::hihi:

The myth about Sky TV and buying cigarettes and booze is common whenever talking about benefits.

Some poor folks that prefer to spend their money on those, may well do without in other areas. I am thinking about getting a new mattress from Ikea, £90 ;)