Left shoulder pain

If the GP doesn't refer you to a physio, go and see one privately, costs about £45 for an initial consultation and assessment.

My OH was sent to see a physio who did 'dry injection' of the shoulder joints with a steroid.

This did no good whatsoever.

After an xray he was told he have severe arthritis and should never have had the injections.

Just be careful and make sure you have a proper diagnosis before allowing anyone to stick needles in your joints :o

I can't find any references to a dry injection of steroid. I can find dry needling, which is entirely different to an injection, or steroid injections which are not dry.

What is Trigger Point Dry Needling (TDN)?

TDN is an effective therapy to treat muscular tension and spasm which commonly accompanies conditions such as arthritis

Edited by Cyclone

I have had a painful left shoulder and elbow for a few weeks with similar symptoms to El Cid.

I thought it would right itself in time but it hasn't so I will have to bite the bullet and see my doctor.

The shoulder was dislocated twice in my younger days and I was told then that arthritis may

occur when I was older which I believe may be the case.

I have had a dull pain in my shoulder since we went camping in the August bank holiday. I am not sure if the holiday is relevant.

At the time I could no longer sleep on my left side, which I always did.

If I do arm circles, my shoulder clicks; I also get pin n needles going from my arm to my hand.

I have been on Ibuprofen for 3 weeks, I think it has get slightly better over time.

I do a lot of driving in my line of work, so poor posture will be an added problem, I do sometimes get a stiff neck.

I am now due to go back to the docs, but I fear I will be just given more pills.

I did not notice the clicking shoulder before, but I feel this must be the problem, it still clicks. My sister does have some arthritis.

Here you go mate: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/03/fascia-stretches_n_6221662.html

The pins and needles is reduced circulation.

Sounds to me like you need a good physio to free up the muscle spasm in your neck and shoulders :nod:

---------- Post added 28-11-2015 at 19:45 ----------

If the GP doesn't refer you to a physio, go and see one privately, costs about £45 for an initial consultation and assessment.

Great minds think alike ;)

Edited by Solomon1

I can't find any references to a dry injection of steroid. I can find dry needling, which is entirely different to an injection, or steroid injections which are not dry.

It is entirely possible you are right since my OH only tells me half of the story !

Whatever it was he had done by the physio anyway it didn't work :D

The pins and needles from arm to hand are making me think carpal tunnel.

I was thinking much the same thing.

---------- Post added 28-11-2015 at 21:20 ----------

It does feel like pressure on the joint; with pins n needles coming from it. The pins n needles do not seem like arthritis symptom.

It generally feels ok relaxing on the sofa, but it starts if I get behind the wheel, and the pain comes on when walking or jogging.

Is the pressure relieved with massage? Does the pain abate with massage or the application of heat?

I've tried easing the pain with a hot water bottle and rubbing Voltarol into the joint but neither have offered any relief. Putting my left hand behind my head does take a bit of pressure off when it gets really painful.

I've tried easing the pain with a hot water bottle and rubbing Voltarol into the joint but neither have offered any relief. Putting my left hand behind my head does take a bit of pressure off when it gets really painful.

Is the pressure relieved with massage? Does the pain abate with massage or the application of heat?

Not tried massage, I really noticed the pain when I was sat in the dentist chair, head and arms pressed back onto the dentists chair.

Just a little pressure from leaning over and resting on my arm or just driving and raising my arm, gives pins n needles to some degree.

I think that assuming that this is automatically arthritis is not helping here. I'd suggest booking an appointment with a suitable professional (physio/osteopath) for them to investigate to see if there's anything that they can do before just assuming that the problem is here to stay.

I have ongoing problems with my left shoulder which my GP said was probably arthritis (and well, there was not a lot that they could suggest because I already take lots of painkillers for my tumour and back problems) which left me with big problems because if you only have one working limb you really do need to keep it in working condition.

It took a few months to get it sorted properly with my osteopath, but with regular manipulations and exercises to do several times a day the pains have receded and not returned now for over a year, so even though there are arthritic changes inside the joint, that's doesn't define whether the joint can function better.

BTW- pins and needles could be down to a trapped nerve either in your shoulder or neck. It doesn't have to be carpal tunnel and is can often be nothing at all to do with blood supply.

Check out the symptoms of rotator cuff injuries and see if they apply.

mmm interesting. I developed a painful ache in my right shoulder a few months ago ... thinking back I had been painting a ceiling & walls and was regularly partner dancing. I sleep on my LH side with my RH kinda stretched across me and under my pillow / cheek. Along with the ache I also have a weird clicking !

So I went to see the physio at work and she believes I have supraspinatus tendonitus ... seemingly there are 4 tendons in the shoulder which is called the rotor cuff, and it seems that you can damage them through regular / repeated use - sports people particularly suffer and I can make the connection to dancing (RH is always in the air over my head :) ) The tendon i have damaged is at the front .. symptoms are pain / aching / clicking :) :) It does seem exacerbated by driving, especially when I am going around corners :(

She made me take ibufrofren for a few weeks to reduce the inflamation (I didn't realise that it takes 5 days of taking the tablets for them to get into your system, so you have to take them regularly, otherwise it is pointless). She has also applied 'physio' tape (sorry I can't remember its proper name) - it is flipping strong ... basically she is supporting my shoulder tendon and every time I move the friction causes blood to rush to the injury thus making it heal quicker. This is reapplied every week (3 strips across shoulder and up arm).

I've also got some exercises to do, which are fairly non impact, but will gradually add more impact as it strengthens. These are available on the internet (rotor cuff exercises). If I don't see an improvement soon she has recommended that I have an MRI to check what is happening just in case it is something else.

Anyway, that's my experience - sounds similar to you

Edited by mc55