Left shoulder pain

I have had a dull pain in my shoulder since we went camping in the August bank holiday. I am not sure if the holiday is relevant.

At the time I could no longer sleep on my left side, which I always did.

If I do arm circles, my shoulder clicks; I also get pin n needles going from my arm to my hand.

I have been on Ibuprofen for 3 weeks, I think it has get slightly better over time.

I do a lot of driving in my line of work, so poor posture will be an added problem, I do sometimes get a stiff neck.

I am now due to go back to the docs, but I fear I will be just given more pills.

I did not notice the clicking shoulder before, but I feel this must be the problem, it still clicks. My sister does have some arthritis.

My OH had similar symptoms to yours and put up with it for a long time before I persuaded him to go to the doctors.

He endured several injections of steroids into the joint which didn't help.

Eventually, and only on my suggestion, our GP sent him for an xray which confirmed what I suspected all along - he has severe arthritis of both his shoulder joints and will need the joints replacing at some time in the future. His shoulders click and grind when he moves them :gag:

He now uses Ibuprofen gel on his shoulders at night as his sleep (and mine !) was being affected by the pain and this helps a lot. He also has problems with his neck which is possibly a direct result of the immobility in his shoulders.

The movement of both his shoulders is now so impaired he can barely lift each arm above the level of his elbows.

My advice would be to see your GP sooner than my OH did and take it from there as taking long term Ibuprofen tablets is not good.

Regards

p.s., -it being a pain in your LEFT shoulder with pins and needles going down your arm please ensure your GP rules out any possibility it may be heart pain.

Edited by Daven

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/shoulderpain/Pages/Introduction.aspx

What daven said o and see your GP and get him to tell you the diagnosis.

Shoulder inujuries can take several months to repair or alternatively its a progressive deterioration as suggested via arthritis. Its importnat you get a correct disagnosis so you can adopt the correct straegy in response.

You might be able to get to see a physio.

Whatever it is then you might want to ask about seeing a physio to rehabillitate your shoulder. That will involve some level of resistance exercise.

p.s., -it being a pain in your LEFT shoulder with pins and needles going down your arm please ensure your GP rules out any possibility it may be heart pain.

I did see the doc about 3 weeks ago, she did just seem to dish out the pills. I would have thought that most arthritis type conditions would affect the right right, the side used most, I am right handed.

I walk the dog lots, throwing the ball for the dog with my right arm.

I did see the doc about 3 weeks ago, she did just seem to dish out the pills. I would have thought that most arthritis type conditions would affect the right right, the side used most, I am right handed.

I walk the dog lots, throwing the ball for the dog with my right arm.

Except your right arm could be stronger. You dont know if its arthritis yet.

Don't self-diagnose but do get the GP to take you seriously.

Shoulder pain does not necessarily have to be insta-curable though, it might be that you tweaked something and it simply takes time to heal because a shoulder is hard to rest. I've had a broken collarbone in the past and also had bad bruising of the shoulder after an awkward fall of a bike, both just took ages to heal, especially as I did not take time off work.

Try your local pharmacy. Voltarol gel might work. OTC. Ask your pharmacist about interactions with other medicines.

I have had a dull pain in my shoulder since we went camping in the August bank holiday. I am not sure if the holiday is relevant.

At the time I could no longer sleep on my left side, which I always did.

If I do arm circles, my shoulder clicks; I also get pin n needles going from my arm to my hand.

I have been on Ibuprofen for 3 weeks, I think it has get slightly better over time.

I do a lot of driving in my line of work, so poor posture will be an added problem, I do sometimes get a stiff neck.

I am now due to go back to the docs, but I fear I will be just given more pills.

I did not notice the clicking shoulder before, but I feel this must be the problem, it still clicks. My sister does have some arthritis.

Is it muscular pain or deeper?

I have similar symptoms which can last for a few weeks then go away for months . The Doctor told me it was arthritis .

Is it muscular pain or deeper?

It does feel like pressure on the joint; with pins n needles coming from it. The pins n needles do not seem like arthritis symptom.

It generally feels ok relaxing on the sofa, but it starts if I get behind the wheel, and the pain comes on when walking or jogging.

The pins and needles from arm to hand are making me think carpal tunnel.

Meds are ok in the short term, but I think you need a referral to the physio. Best to find out what the cause is, then get the appropriate treatment.