Undercover relationships

Hi

The Metropolitan Police has made an "unreserved apology" to seven women deceived into relationships with undercover officers.

The apology and an agreement to pay compensation covers sexual relationships conducted by five officers from two undercover units. They took place over 25 years until the units were disbanded in 2008 and 2011. One of the officers fathered children.

Altho its one of the main news stories, no one at the top have resigned.

Someone should be prosecuted, these women did not give consent to have sex with a police man, they were raped.

A changing definition these days, but did these women consent?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34875197

I could also feel sorry for the police officers involved too. I heard one of the women saying how she was being lied to, lived with a stranger; and other disparaging things about the police officer involved.

I wonder if the police involved may have developed real feelings for the women and also the children that they fathered? I would suspect so. To a degree, these officers themselves were abused be their superiors when they asked (or expected) them to act as spies.

The policemen and their superiors acted in a very sneaky way. I'm not surprised no-one has being fired from the police, they seem to be able to do what they want without fear of punishment.

Yes Mister M, no doubt sneaky; and certainly unwise. That said, I'd wager these officers payed a very high price (personally) for their deceit and treachery. Much higher than they would have anticipated at the onset. I can't help but wonder if they've somehow been abused by the system / their superiors, who put them in this situation.

Of course, we can't know for sure without knowing full facts, and it in no way mitigates the wrongs done to these women; but, I do think it's a valid question.

I am sure it was difficult for the policemen too.

There should be much more to this story, one woman that had a baby to a policeman was a hunt saboteur.

Why was such a thing getting so much effort put into it, when police are so scarce on the ground.

...these women did not give consent to have sex with a police man...

They had consensual sex, they just didn't know the true occupation of the person they were having sex with. If every man who'd ever lied about his occupation in order to impress a woman was arrested for rape, the courts would get awfully crowded.

The policemen and their superiors acted in a very sneaky way.

Yes, in future all undercover officers should be required to wear hi-viz jackets with "UNDERCOVER POLICE OFFICER" clearly written on them. To avoid ambiguity.

***** me. Is everyone taking stupid pills today?

They had consensual sex, they just didn't know the true occupation of the person they were having sex with. If every man who'd ever lied about his occupation in order to impress a woman was arrested for rape, the courts would get awfully crowded.

Yes, in future all undercover officers should be required to wear hi-viz jackets with "UNDERCOVER POLICE OFFICER" clearly written on them. To avoid ambiguity.

***** me. Is everyone taking stupid pills today?

Did I say they should? No I didn't.

The officers should act within a framework of decency.

Police chiefs have insisted their undercover officers were not permitted under any circumstances to sleep with the targets of their covert missions.

They're not allowed, and should not be allowed to do it.

Interesting that all the people conned were women. I wonder whether any men have been unknowingly lured into relationships with female police spies?

No? Wonder why.

not as many undercover ladies?

this story reminds me of the film Rush, with the classic eric clapton score

Did I say they should? No I didn't.

The officers should act within a framework of decency.

Police chiefs have insisted their undercover officers were not permitted under any circumstances to sleep with the targets of their covert missions.

They're not allowed, and should not be allowed to do it.

This post hits the nail on the head. The feds were out of line and were caught out. Its no wonder there is a lack of respect for them if this is the way they carry on.