Taxis stopping on Sheaf Street

I have just had a look, and it doesnt seem that easy to get a taxi licence..

They look like laminated self printed business cards. They dont look too difficult to copy and change the photo.

I have my suspicions when you get in a taxi at the train station and they dont know where Granville Road is.

Edited by AmourDesign

They look like laminated self printed business cards. They dont look too difficult to copy and change the photo.

I have my suspicions when you get in a taxi at the train station and they dont know where Granville Road is.

True...but as the council are SUPPOSED to do random checks at night, surely they wouldnt get away with just copying a licence ?

The station layout is ridiculous, we all know that.

What kind of planner creates a drop off AND pick up area big enough for about 6 cars in a city this size...

It is most probably someone from out of town, or one who IS from town, but has never driven in and out of it a few times. He/she's what I call a 'suit'

(it's the road markings thing again! people who use it and see the problems are the best people to ask) - like you say it's shameful for a city that is supposed to be encouraging people/business into. I'm embarrassed with some out of town customers from hotels, people here on business etc.

And if you're going to tell me it's only for dropping off and not picking up, then that makes even less sense! :confused:

Well the Q/NCP/PARK thing was supposed to fix this, but who the hell is wanting to go into a tower block when they just want to pick up their partner/friend/relative?!*

Tonight I got stuck in there for nearly 20 minutes trying to drop off and get out. One car at the front caused the traffic back as far as St Mary's when I tried tonight, and (not only should he have not been there, he wouldn't have qualified to even be in the new bit designed to fix the problem!, and there were countless cars dropping off with invisible people too causing it.

-

I'm as annoyed as milque at these 'drop off' problems... it loses me money afterall!

but still I, as a [collective] taxi driver get the blame! :mad::hihi:

-

*As suggested, it is crap, most people who use it know it. As it is now though, in it's current layout and design, the biggest cause of the problem is people using the new drop-off point, as a pick up point. It's just moved the problem 50yards east. I don't blame people for not using the ePARK thing though. It boils down to the first sentence - the whole thing is crap.

Doing a U turn is fine. Doing it without indicating, and endangering other motorists, not so much.

I think this is rubbish anyway. I rarely see cabs not using their indicators when u-turning in traffic. Why would they risk own-fault crashes when insurance is huge anyway, not to mention how much hassle crashes are for all concerned.

-

I fail to see why people driving around in the livery of the companies they work for think it's acceptable to irritate potential customers.

Perhaps to prevent irritating the current customers in their vehicle who are asking to be let out?

If I (someone you don't know at all) was in your taxi and say 'I want to get out here/anywhere here', would you drive on regardless? Or assess the situation?

That bit of pavement outside of Tap is huge.....they could put a drop off point there.

As long as it was a no parking area.

you mean like as the current drop off zone is supposed to be in the station? :roll::hihi:

You should try driving in and out of the station 3 or 4 times a day at busy times, then come back and then post your ideas.

I have just had a look, and it doesnt seem that easy to get a taxi licence..

Which councils did you look at?

True...but as the council are SUPPOSED to do random checks at night, surely they wouldnt get away with just copying a licence ?

Like I said earlier, they can't check out of town taxis, that are already mounting up in town.

They can check cars from Sheffield though, and do, every weekend or two and to my knowledge they've never caught anyone using photocopied licences.

It's one of those things about confirmation bias isn't it. I can remember a taxi in the last week just stopping in the carriageway in front of me with no indication. But I'm pretty sure that there were multiple other cars in the same week who did stupid/annoying things. I just can't remember them now because "taxi" sticks in my memory better than "random car".

Re:Sheaf Street and the Tap.

There is a car park just before the tap. It's private property, so you can't park there obviously, but if my SO is dropping me off, we turn in there and I get out, or alternatively we turn into the bus station and I get out.

I do go into the station when I'm dropping/picking her, but the exact point of drop/pick depends on the length of the queue, she's got legs after all!

I've dropped off outside the tap but only when there is heavy traffic or my passengers are running late for the train and request to get out, don't fancy an argument or a kidnap charge for driving on when a passenger wants dropping off.

One thing I HAVE noticed a minority of taxi drivers doing around the station - and this IS infuriating and I see it not infrequently on my evening journey home. When traffic is queuing down the nearside lane of Fornham Street, going down the outside lane marked for turning right, then sitting there, at a green light waiting for a gap to push into to go ahead to Cross Bedford Street - and nobody else using the offside lane correctly, can go through

Taxi drivers, serious question here:

Can you legally stop ANYWHERE to drop a passenger off? Clearways? Motorways etc? Or do you only have exemption on double yellows?

If you cannot breach a clearway, then Sheffield council could make the main routes clearways stopping anyone from blocking the traffic through on key routes. Just a thought.

I've dropped off outside the tap but only when there is heavy traffic or my passengers are running late for the train and request to get out, don't fancy an argument or a kidnap charge for driving on when a passenger wants dropping off.

If a passenger asks to be dropped on the hard shoulder of the motorway would you comply?

I one saw an Audi A3 driver stop somewhere really incredibility stupid and as a result hold-up traffic.

Funnily enough all i see now are Audi drivers driving poorly and recklessly every day.

We all know that parking/drop off/pick up around the station is absolutely diabolical!!! There is a huge piece of land in front of the station (if you can't see it go to an optician) that needs making better use of. It looks like a bomb site and is a poor introduction to the city.I don't know who owns it but nobody including the council seems to be bothered to do anything about it! Can anyone explain why this is?

Four or more regularly park up on double yellow lines outside the York Pub in Broomhill and block the main thoroughfare..

When they move off, they do not use their indicators.

I have photographs of them.

City Cars regularly stop between 8 and 8.30 a.m. on Manchester Road outside Lydgate Juniors School right in front of huge great sign saying 'DO NOT STOP HERE - YOU ARE PUTTING A CHILD'S LIFE AT RISK'

Relative to other towns and cities, Sheffield's Taxis are a complete disgrace. Everyone knows it: but no-one ever seems to sort it out. It's all a bit unnecessarily scummy and rough. In terms of quality I guess they'd score 2 out of 5 for Performance and 1 out of 5 for perception. Imagine how much nicer the city would be if they could improve to 4 or 5 out of 5: the trouble is: I don't think they even know that there's a problem.

bold: That's just a lie really isn't it? Either that or you can't count past 1 or 2.

If you'd smashed into the back of them, then you would be driving too close - if someone isn't driving safely then they will hit the back of cars eventually.

A taxi doing a U-turn?! :o:o If you got in a taxi and asked him to take you somewhere in the opposite direction, what would you do? Should they drive around the block to correct it?

Then you could start a thread saying 'I've had countless times where the driver has taken the long way round' :roll:

If the taxi was hit then the other driver should drive more carefully. Shame it wasn't Hesther who was close by, he would have missed them because he's a very safe and experienced driver.

If this happened, we'll soon know why.

The last sentence is old hat now. No need to borrow from a friend or family, you can buy a piece of junk and go to a council where they hand out licences like confetti, far less risk.

Obviously, I must be a liar because you don't like what I am saying. The people who I travel with in the car who can vouch for everything I have said must therefore also be liars, according to you.

It's a shame that you should make such an assumption, knowing nothing about me, as you also do with my gender.

I suppose the other people who have cited disgraceful examples of driving by drivers of the very same taxi company are liars too.

I don't see much point in debating with you further on the subject.