Sheffield, the largest city in Europe..

Sheffield, the largest city in Europe...without its own airport or any electric train services. Is this good, bad, or ugly?

There are plenty of airports nearby, and a train to London takes just over 2 hours, so overall I'm fine with it. Wouldn't particularly want a large airport right on my doorstep (pollution, traffic etc.)

I see absolutely no point in having a small/med airport which only flies to a handful of places it's unlikely I'll be going to. We are well served with several medium sized airports, a large airport (Manc) just over an hour away, and pretty good links to Heathrow.

Within 2 hrs drive (or public transport) you can get to Manchester, Liverpool, East Midlands, Doncaster, Leeds, Birmingham. That'll do me.

Sheffield, the largest city in Europe...without its own airport or any electric train services. Is this good, bad, or ugly?

but we have Meadowhall instead and people seem to that instead of an airport

It used to have an electric train service

Sheffield is more of a town with huge suburbs than a conventional city.

Meadowhall has halted the natural expansion of the city centre. Where cities like Leeds and Manchester has seen rapid development over the last 10-15 years. Meadowhall has been great for South Yorkshire but a lead weight to Sheffield.

Edited by AmourDesign

Sheffield is more of a town with huge suburbs than a conventional city.

Meadowhall has halted the natural expansion of the city centre. Where cities like Leeds and Manchester has seen rapid development over the last 10-15 years. Meadowhall has been great for South Yorkshire but a lead weight to Sheffield.

Manchester has the Trafford centre....doesn't seem to have stopped the city improving..

Manchester has the Trafford centre....doesn't seem to have stopped the city improving..

that's because it has an airport.

Maybe Manchester City Centres's Arndale centre, which according to wikipedia is bigger than Meadowhall, has helped to keep on bringing people into their city centre?

that's because it has an airport.

No it's more like the IRA blew it up. Manchester was a hole before that event.

Now I'm not suggesting that we should blow up Sheffield but a clean sweep and start again does have a certain appeal.

Maybe Manchester City Centres's Arndale centre, which according to wikipedia is bigger than Meadowhall, has helped to keep on bringing people into their city centre?

If it can sustain Trafford and The Arndale then they are doing something right there...