5p charge for carrier bags

Tesco have changed the design and quality of the bags - the chargeable ones are much better and stronger than the previous free ones.

The strong 10p ones? Or do they have some better 5p bags now?

They were not the usual bags in Sainsburys at the self checkouts (the flimsy ones) but a more substantial plastic one, if the assistant isn't looking just press yes if it asks if you used your own bags.

Can I ask what happens when all these bags and the bags for life who's handles fall off get dumped?

The clues in the name "bag for life" the 10p bag-for-life which has been given away last week to every customer in Tesco will be replaced free of charge when it wears out.

So, if you haven't already got one, pay 10p for a bag, use it over and over again until it's no good, and exchange it at the store for free. I'm sure other supermarket chains use the same principle.

---------- Post added 06-10-2015 at 20:10 ----------

Better 5p bags.

---------- Post added 06-10-2015 at 20:13 ----------

Better 5p bags.

Tesco have changed the design and quality of the bags - the chargeable ones are much better and stronger than the previous free ones.

Sainsburys too. I've just been to the Wadsley Bridge one. These will make stronger bin bags. Not bad for 5p really.

The bags that Sainbury's now sell for 5p are bags for life. When it starts wearing out, return it and we will exchange it for free. All old bags will be recycled.

What's stupid about it?

My black bin will still have the same amount of rubbish in it, this carrier bag charge will make less than 1% difference to how much plastic, or any other type of waste we discard.

I find using a rucksack or larger sports type bag for bigger shops much easier than the bags they sell.

I did an 8 hour shift yesterday and in that time, around 30-35 people asked if they could have a carrier bag. When they were told they'd be charged 5p for one, only 3 of those people actually bought one. The rest either put their goods into their handbag, pockets etc or just carried their stuff themselves. So I think it really does make a difference. Lots of people also had their own bags yesterday.

It's 5 pence.

OH NO

I've just spent £50 on shopping and you want to charge me 25 pence for 5 bags? That's a whole 0.5%, how outrageous!

</sarcasm>

I was at the Morrision's self service till. The customer next to me had packed all their shopping and was about to pay, only to be informed by the assistant that the bags had to be paid for.

The shopping was in three bags, however on hearing the news the customer unpacked the shopping from one bag to put in the other two.

To save 5p

It's 5 pence.

OH NO

I've just spent £50 on shopping and you want to charge me 25 pence for 5 bags? That's a whole 0.5%, how outrageous!

</sarcasm>

I particularly hate replies like this, its the principle rather than the amount thats at stake here, we are lining someones pocket to pay for a problem that doesn't exist and the Government gets in more money to squander from yet another stealth tax.

I particularly hate replies like this, its the principle rather than the amount thats at stake here, we are lining someones pocket to pay for a problem that doesn't exist and the Government gets in more money to squander from yet another stealth tax.

Stealth tax?

I agree.

Will you be bothered the bloke, when in future the state add 10p onto drinks with sugar in them, because 'it's the right thing to do'... a few pence on fuel? to save the environment? A few pence on Diesel or Petrol to help reduce emissions? Extra pence on cigs to help people stop?

It's nannying, (/ just a way to get more tax out of you )