5p charge for carrier bags

kay1

When the charge for carrier bags comes in next month I thought this applied to supermarkets but was told today in Marks and Sprencer this applies to all Departments including clothes. In future whatever you spend in Marks you will be charged extra for a bag to put your purchases in. With suits and coats costing £100 plus I would have thought they could take the cost of the bag off at the till when you paid. The asssistand informed me that all the 5p's you paid for the bag was going to the Govt.?? So shops have to buy the bags, you pay 5p, the shop gives the Govt the 5p. So who is losing? the shop they bought the bags in the first place, I dont think she got the story right she was telling the customers

I collect carrier bags, I have done for as long as I can remember - among others, I have several Lipton's bags a few Redgate's bags, a Harrington's bag, an Abdul Fashions bag and two original Beatties (one time model shop across from the Peace Gardens) bags.

Will their value increase?

When the charge for carrier bags comes in next month I thought this applied to supermarkets but was told today in Marks and Sprencer this applies to all Departments including clothes. In future whatever you spend in Marks you will be charged extra for a bag to put your purchases in. With suits and coats costing £100 plus I would have thought they could take the cost of the bag off at the till when you paid. The asssistand informed me that all the 5p's you paid for the bag was going to the Govt.?? So shops have to buy the bags, you pay 5p, the shop gives the Govt the 5p. So who is losing? the shop they bought the bags in the first place, I dont think she got the story right she was telling the customers

A few weeks ago the assistant at Marks and Spencers told me that she thought they were going to charge for carrier bags in the clothes department. At first I thought she had got it wrong. They could use paper bags for clothes which could be recycled.

I think all the 5 pence's are going to charity, you will also have to pay the same amount for the small plastic bags that you receive when you buy any kind of greeting cards. In Ireland they banned plastic bags and started using paper bags like we did up to the late fifties.

Paper bags are okay in fine weather.

I was born and raised in Brooklyn, NYC. As a child, I used to fetch the groceries every day. Not a problem in the warm months, but come fall - and the rain - I spent most of my time picking up stuff from the sidewalk that had gone through the base of my paper bag when it had gotten wet.

It's a government incentive. Stores will be governed over and if found to be giving "free" carriers they will be fined up to £10,000. The charge for the bag goes to charity. The supermarkets are not paying for the bags anymore they will get a subsidy for it.

It isn't Marks and Sparks fault they will have to charge you for a bag. It's the law

I collect carrier bags, I have done for as long as I can remember - among others, I have several Lipton's bags a few Redgate's bags, a Harrington's bag, an Abdul Fashions bag and two original Beatties (one time model shop across from the Peace Gardens) bags.

Will their value increase?

Me too - I collect many too

I sure would say that there price will increase no doubts!!