Dog eats its own poo

How to stop dog eating its own poo as well as her brothers

It can be a puppy thing it's instinct they can grow out of it . There is also the problem of dog food additives that make it yummy for dogs to eat ( generally poor quality food) that makes poop just as tasty. My male dog grew out of it by the time he was 1 and a bit . But my female dog is 13 months and still does it but only when out walking ( you can guarantee the lazy scum that don't pick there dogs poop up are the ones that feed their dogs the cheap dog food with the addictive additives that pass straight through )

So in your case it maybe just be a pup thing especially being a bitch it's more common.

You could try a water spray every time she goes for it but if I was you I'd clear any poop up as soon as poss . But sometimes they still do it and you have to just come to terms with it .

Thanks it's not poor quality food she is fed very good food she's belongs to a friend and they don't leave the poo but she will try and eat is as her brother is doing it thanks

Can I suggest that you teach her a 'leave' command using treats? If you teach her that when she leaves something on command you will give her a lovely treat then you just have to make sure that the treats that you have on offer outrank whatever pleasure she gets from eating the poo.

In this house the treat that outranks all of the naughties is dried black pudding. We may have all sorts of every day treats around the place, but a piece of dried black pudding is worth paying attention for all sorts of things, and ignoring other dogs too. Find your little one's serious value treat and then teach her that you'll give her some of that when she leaves on command, then catch her about to eat the poo and ask her to leave it :)

We used to have a dog (bitch) that did this. We had two male dogs at the same time but she never ate their poo. Our vet suggested mixing tinned pineapple into her food as it makes the poop unpalatable. It did work but we had to do it on and off for a while otherwise she went back to it. She used to eat it almost as soon as she had done it. :gag: Someone once said that can happen if they see you scoop it up stratight after they poop. We tired to scoop it up out of her sight.

I'll second the pineapple thing. My friends puppy did this a lot until she started putting pineapple on his food and then he stopped altogether.

Hope it works out for you.

There is no harm in trying the various remedies but they probably won't work. If a dog has a penchant for coprophagia it probably will be with it for life. The only cure is to be scrupulous in cleaning up the garden or else muzzle the dog before you let it out. When taking it out for a walk, keep it on a lead or use a muzzle.

There is no harm in trying the various remedies but they probably won't work. If a dog has a penchant for coprophagia it probably will be with it for life. The only cure is to be scrupulous in cleaning up the garden or else muzzle the dog before you let it out. When taking it out for a walk, keep it on a lead or use a muzzle.

Yeah I agree, as I have tried everything with mine . The problem I have is she has never eaten her own or my other dogs poo. It's when she's out and only certain ones . That's why I think it's the cheap tasty dog food additives with mine as she is food obsessed . ( and yes I've tried tasty treats and feeding before going out) I don't want to muzzle her so I keep her up to date with all her tablets . Only solution for me is that all these lazy dog owners start clearing up after their dogs :roll:

My friends dog had all sorts of problems eating things (including poo)

They ended up muzzling the dog when it was outside, eventually the dog grew out of it but it saved any further vet trips.

Pineapple doesnt work, have you tried Raw food? Its often because the poo smells like kibble so they eat it