Dog eats its own poo

brownie25

Someone mentioned cleaning it up immediately. This can actually cause the poo eating.

@Chez2 - how to you work that one out? Surely if the poo is removed immediately it can't be eaten? In any case it is basic hygiene to remove the faeces as soon as it is done or at least asap. Leaving poo around the garden will not stop a dog dog with coprophagia - it will just make it available.

If pineapple works, then fine but in most of the cases it is a waste of time and money. There is no 100% effective treatment for this condition AFAIK and if someone discovers one they will be on to a great business opportunity.

I didn't say I "worked it out", you have twisted what I said. I have seen dog behavior experts on tv say that people waiting with scoop and bag by a pooping dog can affects it's poop eating behavior. I never said not to clean it up. When they were 'curing' a dog of poop eating the expert suggested to the owner not to make a big thing about scooping the poop as soon as it comes out but to let the dog walk away and lose interest then scoop it up without a big fuss.

Thank you for explaining about the source of the information. It rather looked as if the advice was your own and I couldn't see the reasoning behind it but was interested to know so there is no need to take offence - none was meant. It is an interesting theory and one that I haven't come across. However, I still believe that the experts that you saw on television are wrong. If a dog has coprophagia there is very little the owner can do about it other than take measures to prevent the dog from getting at the poo. Nobody knows why some dogs have the problem so it is doubly hard to treat.

Edited by ccit

It could pick up diseases if it eats poop when out and about. Our bitch never used to seek out poop when out walking.

We have a dog and a bitch now. Oddly enough, the young bitch never eats her own poop but we do have to keep an eye on her when out walking. She is sometimes tempted to eat the odd poop someone hasn't cleared up but she doesn't do it all the time. There is a theory that additives in processed dog food can still be attractive to dogs when they come out in the poo. I can understand that but can't understand why they aren't overpowered by the bad odour. Poop from raw fed animals is far less malodourous, smaller in volume, firmer, much easier to pick up.

If it makes the dog ill (vomiting and diarrhoea being the main problem) then yes, it is clearly bad for the dog. Also, if it is eating the poo of unknown dogs it is undesirable because it might contain worms, drug waste etc. Either way, it is something that most dog owners dislike and should prevent.

All sorts of theories are put forward, but nobody knows for sure why dogs do, or don't develop the behaviour. The behaviour modification that Chez2 mentions might work with some dogs but the ones with true coprophagia will just see it as a situation to be exploited and their speed can be amazing. Some will even loiter around the back end of their companion dogs.

I don't know if the stool consistency makes a deal of difference - it might to some dogs. Odour is something that most dogs find attractive, hence rolling in fox poo. However, if the dog is fed on good quality food, be it raw or commercial the smell shouldn't be too strong. Poo usually smells awful when the dog is fed on poor quality dog food.

Edited by ccit

Well my 13 month lab still dose it , Not her own or my other dogs . It's the lazy dog owners that don't pick it up . I've talked to the vets about it and she didn't seem that concerned she told me to keep up dates with tablets . But it has only been certain ones and she is so quick you don't stand a chance so in her case I think it's the cheap dog food additives . I've tried everything, I'm still hoping she'll grow out of it like my other lab . She's been slightly better of late so I'm hoping she'll stop meanwhile it would be nice if these lazy dog owners would pick up and I wouldn't have to steer her around anyone's I spot .

If it makes the dog ill (vomiting and diarrhoea being the main problem) then yes, it is clearly bad for the dog. Also, if it is eating the poo of unknown dogs it is undesirable because it might contain worms, drug waste etc. Either way, it is something that most dog owners dislike and should prevent.

All sorts of theories are put forward, but nobody knows for sure why dogs do, or don't develop the behaviour. The behaviour modification that Chez2 mentions might work with some dogs but the ones with true coprophagia will just see it as a situation to be exploited and their speed can be amazing. Some will even loiter around the back end of their companion dogs.

I don't know if the stool consistency makes a deal of difference - it might to some dogs. Odour is something that most dogs find attractive, hence rolling in fox poo. However, if the dog is fed on good quality food, be it raw or commercial the smell shouldn't be too strong. Poo usually smells awful when the dog is fed on poor quality dog food.

Dogs roll to put their scent on to something, to obliterate any other scents as well as hide their own scent by replacing it with whatever they have rolled in. Wolves hide their scent like this to help when hunting.

Dogs also scent mark by urinating and paw scratching. It look a bit like wiping their feet. Its also a sign of dominance.