Dog eats its own poo

brownie25

She has two choices:

1. Put a lead on the dog, stay with it until it has produced and pick the faeces up immediately.

2. Put a baskerville type muzzle on the dog before, and every time it goes out.

What is your friend feeding her dog? If it is kibble and not good quality, she needs to be aware that it may contain ingredients that the dog cannot process, it therefore passes through the gut into the poo making it attractive to the dog.

This is why it might be worth trying a raw diet, as previously suggested. The poo of raw fed dogs is very small and firm. The dog may be less attracted to this and will probably feel better too as it is high in protein and fat, low in carbohydrates. If she would like to try this, she needs to research it first - there is a thread on here about raw feeding.

It's worth looking at the diet but really she should accept the fact that this habit will not go away and needs to deal with it long term.

My JRT did this when I first got him, I was mortified and I gave him a right telling off... he didn't do it again! thank god..

But I have heard that this is apparently something a lot of puppies do that come from large litters, it's got something to do with not getting enough milk / food so they eat their own faeces.. also regardless of whether they eat steak, complete dried food, pineapple or even caviar it doesn't matter. I don't know how true that is but that's what I was told..

if you have taught your pup the 'leave' command then I recommend you pick it up as soon as your pup has done a poo and say LEAVE very firmly every time.

• 1 month later...
Pineapple doesnt work, have you tried Raw food? Its often because the poo smells like kibble so they eat it

Pineapple does work, it worked for us. Our dogs weren't eating cheap kibble at the time either. The bitch in question had a sensitive tummy so didn't have any cereal in her diet. She was on high protein and potato food. I can't remember if she just ate her own poo or our other dogs poo as well. They were all fed pineapple until she went off poop eating.

We did move the dogs on to raw food and found their poop much less in volume and less smelly. Their coats don't smell as doggy as quickly either.

Someone mentioned cleaning it up immediately. This can actually cause the poo eating.

Ours used to like or at least use to eat pineapple. We used to buy tinned crushed (mushed) pineapple. Its supposed to make the poop unpalatable. Our bitch used to eat her poop as soon as she had done it, plus other dogs poop at various stages of 'freshnesh'! :gag:

The three older dogs we had died (of old age) and the dogs we have now don't eat poop thank goodness.