Slugs in the house

We have had this for a while now, it started in the kitchen, haven't seen any for a while but know they are still getting in somehow cos seen their slimy trails, anyone had this problem, if so how did you get rid of them?:help:

We have had this for a while now, it started in the kitchen, haven't seen any for a while but know they are still getting in somehow cos seen their slimy trails, anyone had this problem, if so how did you get rid of them?:help:

I have noticed the same in a relatives house, not anywhere near a outside door.

I was wondering where they came from too.

An air-brick will be your culprit. We had the same issue.

wev had this aswell. i saw some in the sink so started leaving the plug in but still got one on top of the swing bin. then at the bottom of the stairs next to the front door.

im paranoid now and wont walk round the house unless all the lights are on incase i stand on one :gag:

Sometimes they live in the drain outside and go exploring up the waste pipes from the house at night.

The most likely reason is that you (without realising it) have damp floorboards or wallboards somewhere that is reachable from outside, they lay their eggs there and hide there during the day because it is relatively cool and moist.

When we bought our house in the Netherlands we had to replace part of the wooden floor, when I tore the old boards out I found hundreds of slugs that all came in through a wall-vent (old fashioned brick with holes).

Whatever you do, do not close those vents up though, you need them for circulation under the floor! solve the damp problem and the slugs will go.

I have 2 that live under my fridge. If I ever go down in the middle of the night they are just strolling along. I have has them for around 3 years and to he honest they don't bother me so I don't bother them.

There's no better way to get rid of snails (to my mind), than music.

Specifically, that ugly, old, Irish curmudgeon, known as Van Morrison.

It is a little known fact, that 'Van the (miserable) Man's, Ulster recording studio is funded by S.C.Johnson, manufacturers of pest control stuff like Raid.

As well as this, they sponsor him to come up with his synonymous dirgey drivel, known to the higher echelons of pest control manufacturers as an effective weapon against all things invertebrate.

Slugs are easily eradicated by just one application of 'Inarticulate Speech of the Heart', whilst snails, due to the thickness of their shells, may require an application of 'Moondance', before slithering away as fast as their slimy little trails will allow.

God forbid, but if your house is a bit more 'north' of damp, even cephalopods (squid and suchlike) can easily be eradicated by just one play of 'Astral Weeks'.

Of course, special care should be taken when using these products … dogs, cats, chickens and small babies can easily choke on their own tongues, whilst even at low volume, adults have been known to projectile vomit transcontinentally.

Yuk! Brings back horrible memories of the slugs in our living room. They got in through a tiny gap in the patio door. I think they hid under the laminate floor until after dark each night. One night I had 7 large brown slugs under the dining table. This went on for years, until I went crazy with the table salt around the edge of the laminate and around the door- never seen any since, but it did send our patio door rusty around the bottom!

This is what I used-them basic slug pellets in the round plastic container from Wilkos.

http://www.wilko.com/search?setpagenum=1&q=slug+pellets&perpage=10

Edited by Janus