Does Sheffield do enough to promote itself

byeo

(This could go in the Sheffield Football section but feel it's more of a city issue as it's used as an example)

Does Sheffield do enough to promote itself or big itself up to visitors ? The reason I ask is because I was reading about Sheffield F.C (worlds first/oldest football club etc..)

I know the club play in Dronfield and I'm sure there are signs outside the ground stating "world first/oldest club" but surely as a city, we could/should do more to honour this title we have the privilege of holding ?

There is only one "world's first/oldest football club" and feel that we can do much more in promoting this, for a start it would be a nice and simple touch to add a welcome to Sheffield sign, the birthplace of world football.

Manchester has the National Football Museum, why ? My guess is because Man Utd has more of an attraction than Sheffield as a city or United, Wednesday or even Sheffield F.C will ever have, I don't know. But surely a museum of our national sport should be located where the first ever club was formed ?

Surely promoting this unique title our city holds would benefit the city and the club who are wanting to locate back into the city ? What could Sheffield do to improve/sell the city more to "outside visitors" and not just Sheffield F.C, but any attraction, shop or venue ?

Edited by byeo

They dont do enough to promote themselves city wide never mind outside. For example at the ampitheatre last weekend there was a festval on yet no mention in the Sheffield Star or promotion by the council.

Events happen all the time and no one hears about them you just have to be lucky enough to walk past.

The thread should be retitled is Sheffield FC doing enough to promote itself, as the post is purely about the FC and football.

Was over in Manchester the other week and was talkng about the National Football Museum, and obviously a choice of location because of Man Utd and also the rise of City. Also, not to mention being out of London and good transport links.

Sheffield could do more generally, but who funds it? Surely it shouldnt be the Council alone?

The thread should be retitled is Sheffield FC doing enough to promote itself, as the post is purely about the FC and football

Please don't retitle it as it's not a thread about Sheffield F.C and how they advertise/promote themselves. I'm asking if Sheffield as a city promotes things to encourage people to visit and used Sheffield F.C as an example. It's more related to General (imo) than football. Football was used for the example.

:)

i agree sheffield can do so much better. i was recently on a walking tour with tim cooper the head of history department of university sheffield, and there are just so many things worth highlighting yet they don't. if you go to york for example, or even other towns/cities, they actually highlight things that are worth visiting! i think the cholera monument deserves to be highlighted too. or at least more attention should be given to it. and bishops house too.

Manchester has the National Football Museum, why ? My guess is because Man Utd has more of an attraction than Sheffield as a city or United, Wednesday or even Sheffield F.C will ever have, I don't know.

Manchester United is a team with global status and appeal. It has its own TV channel for goodness sake.

The original location of the museum was Preston. It was suggested it be moved to Wembley but Manchester City Council offered the FA the right deal.

But surely a museum of our national sport should be located where the first ever club was formed ?

Not really.

Given the disastrous handling of the National Centre for Popular Music, perhaps footie fans got off lightly?

if you go to york for example, or even other towns/cities, they actually highlight things that are worth visiting!

Places like York have something to work with.

Almost all suggestions of things to do in Sheffield involve leaving the city.

Sheffield is a nice city to live in. A tourist trap it is not.

Manchester has the National Football Museum, why ? My guess is because Man Utd has more of an attraction than Sheffield as a city or United, Wednesday or even Sheffield F.C will ever have, I don't know. But surely a museum of our national sport should be located where the first ever club was formed ?

Whilst I strongly agree that the National Football museum should be moved to Sheffield, it should be mentioned that it's right by the Manchester branch of Harvey Nicks, thus making it very easy for any premier league footballer to locate... :hihi: