Does Sheffield do enough to promote itself

I don't want more outsiders coming here because they make too much noise, drop litter, stand in my way whilst in the City Centre (thinking they are going for a stroll in the country) and they make shops busier which means I have to wait longer to get served.

For somebody who claims to live in the city centre, you sure haven't visited it much.

I doubt any number of tourists / visitors / asylum seekers / illegal immigrants / invading armies could ever block your path or make you wait longer to get served than our lovely OAPs do.

I was in T J Hughes on the Moor last week; wow, it took fifteen minutes to get served yet there were only a few old biddies in the queue (one was the shop assistant).

And don't get me started on Sainsbury's. Every day is pension day in that place :rant:

I take Joker's point, but I reckon we just need to have a bit more patience when shopping in areas that are heavily populated by the aforementioned "old biddies" :D.

I guess that certain parts of Sheffield just have an older demographic than other parts of the city. When I visit Sheff, I often accompany my mum doing her shopping in Hillsborough. Everybody shopping in Hillsborough seems to be absolutely ancient - shuffling along the pavements at snails-pace, dragging their shopping trollies behind them - hobbling about on crutches, or with walking sticks, faffing about in the queues at Morrison's, not knowing how to use their debit cards or fumbling around in their purses and wallets trying to find the right amount of cash to pay. As a mere "spring chicken" in my late 50's, I admit that it can be a bit a bit frustrating to be huffing and puffing, waiting in queues behind these fumbling "olds"!. I think we need to cut them a bit of slack though - we'll probably be just the same when we're their age! :D

And don't get me started on Sainsbury's. Every day is pension day in that place :rant:[/color]

:D That takes me back.

Getting back to the question posed by the OP, does Sheffield do enough to promote itself? Probably not.

Really though, isn't the best way to promote Sheffield to have a major attraction worth coming here for, not the threadbare collection of "stocking fillers" we have now.

The Word Snooker Championship does the city a lot of good during the 2 weeks it is on. Other than that, we're just another identikit middle-sized UK city.

Bradford has the National Media Museum, Leeds the Royal Armories. Both of those are attractions of a national standard, capable of occupying a full day.

Liverpool has the Spaceport, the Maritime museum and the Slavery museum. All with very distinct identities.

Ideally we need just one attraction of that standard.

If you look at TripAdvisor's list of 10 things to do in Sheffield, "Our Cow Molly Farm and Ice Cream Shop" is number 5!

That's weak.

Interestingly, their "things to do in Leeds" runs to 30 items, not 10.

What sheffield needs is a lovely area near the parkway where tourists could go and relax, hold on a minute isnt there a canal basin thats quite nice? " Sorry you cant park there or get to it I'm afraid and no events are ever held there and its never publicised"...

Might help if our few city centre attractions were advertised at Meadowhall then visitors might want to take a tram ride there.

For somebody who claims to live in the city centre, you sure haven't visited it much.

I doubt any number of tourists / visitors / asylum seekers / illegal immigrants / invading armies could ever block your path or make you wait longer to get served than our lovely OAPs do.

I was in T J Hughes on the Moor last week; wow, it took fifteen minutes to get served yet there were only a few old biddies in the queue (one was the shop assistant).

And don't get me started on Sainsbury's. Every day is pension day in that place :rant:

you'll be one yourself one day,we have a right to shop as often as we like,where we like and where we like

---------- Post added 17-09-2015 at 22:46 ----------

Whats to promote about Sheffield anyway. It has lost all it's character, all metal and concrete now. We used to have some wonderful old cobble stone areas, historic buildings etc,it had a lot of charm,it's soulless now,miss it but glad I left ,makes me so upset to see it now when I visit