Music you hated when you were young

hackey lad

• 4 weeks later...
ive always loved the stones, the who, but cannot understand the love for the boyband the beatles

I've only just seen this thread, and while I was always a fan of the Who and Stones, without the Beatles they would never have happened. Before them we had a diet of imitation American singers, Marty Wilde, Adam Faith etc. And believe me there was some real dross then.

The BBC in those days thought such as the Ted Heath band and Billy Cotton were what everybody wanted to listen to and the only way you could listen to real teenage music was on Radio Luxembourg, and that used to fade in and out.

I've only just seen this thread, and while I was always a fan of the Who and Stones, without the Beatles they would never have happened. Before them we had a diet of imitation American singers, Marty Wilde, Adam Faith etc. And believe me there was some real dross then.

The BBC in those days thought such as the Ted Heath band and Billy Cotton were what everybody wanted to listen to and the only way you could listen to real teenage music was on Radio Luxembourg, and that used to fade in and out.

AAAAR, Then came he pirates LOL Incidentally Marty Wilde was and still is better than all the American singers whose songs he covered(not imitated):cool:

Because of my mother, John Denver was part of the soundtrack of my growing up. I wouldn't go so far as to say "hated" but as you can imagine its not the type of music a youngster of the late eighties early nineties was into.

Now though, there are a handful of his songs that I'm familiar with and like, such as this.

Hah, same for me, thoroughly hated him, though she also made me listen to Michael Jackson which I loved straight away. My dad was into the Dire Straits, Phil Collins, Paul Simon and Garfunkel and so on. Didn't like it at first, I soon realised Dire Straits made some pretty darned good music, as did Phil Collins and Paul Simon, still can't stand Denver and Garfunkel though!

Jazz and Classical are both genres I grew into and I think that is the case for many people, as a youngster you think it is awful and then as you understand music and the world a bit better you can appreciate bits and pieces and slowly it fills your brain, replacing the nonsense you listened to as a kid as a soundtrack to life.