Music you hated when you were young

hackey lad

AAAAR, Then came he pirates LOL Incidentally Marty Wilde was and still is better than all the American singers whose songs he covered(not imitated):cool:

He might well have been, but the point I was making was before the Beatles all the music teenagers had to listen to was American style. They and George Martin adapted it and turned it into something different.the Stones were doing Blues and R&B at the same time but didn't crack it until the Beatles opened up the American market where the big money was. Then all the others followed.

And incidentally I still believe there was a load of dross before and during that period.

He might well have been, but the point I was making was before the Beatles all the music teenagers had to listen to was American style. They and George Martin adapted it and turned it into something different.the Stones were doing Blues and R&B at the same time but didn't crack it until the Beatles opened up the American market where the big money was. Then all the others followed.

And incidentally I still believe there was a load of dross before and during that period.

I do agree with most of what you say, and Marty Wilde was the exception, rather than the rule. However the Beatles came along at the right time as a new generation of fans didn't want the stuff Elvis and a few others had started to churn out since 1960. I would also add that the Beatles 1st two albums were 40% American covers to 60% of their own material. I am and always have been a Beatles fan, by the way, and have all their albums.

I do agree with most of what you say, and Marty Wilde was the exception, rather than the rule. However the Beatles came along at the right time as a new generation of fans didn't want the stuff Elvis and a few others had started to churn out since 1960. I would also add that the Beatles 1st two albums were 40% American covers to 60% of their own material. I am and always have been a Beatles fan, by the way, and have all their albums.

True, although in that pre Beatle era I was also a big fan of some of the Americans such as Buddy Holly and Eddie Cochran.

As for them opening up the American market, even the seventies bands like Led Zep etc have a lot to thank them for in making British music acceptable over there.

By the way I had all those original Beatles albums, then one day in the eighties I came home from work and the storm trooper said she'd given them to her sister, as you can imagine, words were spoken but I've just about got over it now.

I've now got loads of their stuff on CD but it's not the same as owning vinyl.

True, although in that pre Beatle era I was also a big fan of some of the Americans such as Buddy Holly and Eddie Cochran.

As for them opening up the American market, even the seventies bands like Led Zep etc have a lot to thank them for in making British music acceptable over there.

By the way I had all those original Beatles albums, then one day in the eighties I came home from work and the storm trooper said she'd given them to her sister, as you can imagine, words were spoken but I've just about got over it now.

I've now got loads of their stuff on CD but it's not the same as owning vinyl.

Sounds like me, I also had the originals on vinyl but sold them to Violet May before coming to Canada in 1981 along with albums of Little Richard, Eddie Cochran,( who I saw at the Gaumont a short while before his death) Jerry Lee etc etc. However I let my first wife have my complete Elvis collection for forty quid, imagine that lol. His first albums were the original HMV ones in great shape, probably worth a fortune today. I too have replaced all my Beatles and Elvis stuff on CD :cool:

Sounds like me, I also had the originals on vinyl but sold them to Violet May before coming to Canada in 1981 along with albums of Little Richard, Eddie Cochran,( who I saw at the Gaumont a short while before his death) Jerry Lee etc etc. However I let my first wife have my complete Elvis collection for forty quid, imagine that lol. His first albums were the original HMV ones in great shape, probably worth a fortune today. I too have replaced all my Beatles and Elvis stuff on CD :cool:

I know we're going off thread now, but you've stirred some memories talking about Violet May. We used to go to City Road baths on Saturday morning then look in Violet May's shop afterwards and if we'd got a few bob buy something,

I bought my first guitar off them but I seem to remember the shop had moved then, I had it for years and it was hard work trying to play it as I'd bought a classical because I didn't know the difference between that and an acoustic.

In the afternoon we'd go into town to Cannes or Wilson peck and get them to play us a record in one of the booths, we didn't buy much there, not at their prices. My favourite at that time was Lonnie Donegan who I believe was the inspiration for a lot of the later stars like John Lennon and Pete Townshend.

Back on thread at that time I couldn't stand Elvis, I only came to appreciate how good he was later, despite my missus even now when he comes on telly saying "wasn't he handsome" (makes me sick) but I've got to admit he was, and what a voice.

I know we're going off thread now, but you've stirred some memories talking about Violet May. We used to go to City Road baths on Saturday morning then look in Violet May's shop afterwards and if we'd got a few bob buy something,

I bought my first guitar off them but I seem to remember the shop had moved then, I had it for years and it was hard work trying to play it as I'd bought a classical because I didn't know the difference between that and an acoustic.

In the afternoon we'd go into town to Cannes or Wilson peck and get them to play us a record in one of the booths, we didn't buy much there, not at their prices. My favourite at that time was Lonnie Donegan who I believe was the inspiration for a lot of the later stars like John Lennon and Pete Townshend.

Back on thread at that time I couldn't stand Elvis, I only came to appreciate how good he was later, despite my missus even now when he comes on telly saying "wasn't he handsome" (makes me sick) but I've got to admit he was, and what a voice.

Lonnie Donegan was also a British artist who cracked the American market years ahead of the Beatles. However his Billboard chart topper Rock Island Line was strictly a one off. I wasn't Lonnie's greatest fan, but he was so hard to dislike and his music was lot's of fun and some songs down right hilarious. I suppose you know that My old man's a dustman was recorded live at Doncaster Gaumont a schoolmate of mine was apparently there that night, so he said. " You missed me am I too late?" ''Naw jump upon the cart" LOL

Edited by TORONTONY

Lonnie Donegan was also a British artist who cracked the American market years ahead of the Beatles. However his Billboard chart topper Rock Island Line was strictly a one off. I wasn't Lonnie's greatest fan, but he was so hard to dislike and his music was lot's of fun and some songs down right hilarious. I suppose you know that My old man's a dustman was recorded live at Doncaster Gaumont a schoolmate of mine was apparently there that night, so he said. " You missed me am I too late?" ''Naw jump upon the cart" LOL

No, I didn't know that but I know the line, another one I've got on 'best of' CD.

He'd been banjo player with Chris Barber before he went solo and my elder brother was a big jazz fan, it was one type of music I couldn't and still can't stand. Cleo Laine and Johnny Dankworth, what's all that about?

My mum took me to see Lonnie in the late fifties ( nobody else would go and I was too young to go on my own ) I think it was the Empire, but could have been the Lyceum, I still remember what a thrill it was to see my idol in the flesh, he was the first I'd ever seen live. Great days.

I used to dislike everything apart from Genesis (With Peter Gabriel, before idiot Phil got off his drums and started warbling, completely wrecking everything), Yes, Gong (Flying Teapot days!), and rather a lot of classical stuff. Quite liked ambient/minimalist stuff too, like Philip Glass, Tangerine Dream and Brian Eno.

Stuff like the Beatles, Stones, I consider puerile to this day.

Once I became a gobby twelve year old I think I hated most everything except punk, new wave, ska (mostly Two-Tone and not proper ska :roll:) and a bit of disco, funk and reggae.

My deepest vitriol was held for the new romantics / synth poppers and prog and classic rock. I still detest all that 80's British synth pop tripe with a passion but have gone from being freaked out by vocal jazz to loving it. :hihi: