Sheffield F1 Grand Prix

Just in the middle of a discussion on the TDF Grand Depart thread and a spin off discussion was Sheffield F1 Grand Prix, rather than hi jacking that posting I thought it might be better to dedicate one.

So how about a Sheffield F1 Grand Prix similar to the Montecarlo GP using the outskirts of the city as a race track. Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas that could in some way make this happen.

Here's what I think would make a good route.

Derek Dooley way - Netherthorpe Rd - Upper Hanover St - Hanover Way - St Marys gate - Bramall Lane - Queens Rd - Suffolk rd - Sheaf St - Park way - back to DD way

Full circuit of the city centre enabling the use of pedestrian foot bridges and underpasses to get in to and out of the inner circuit.

Wait, you started with the Sheffield Grand Prix (-F1) that would be a bike-race, maybe it needs to be combined! The likelihood of a street-circuit addition to the F1 calendar in Europe is definitely not likely though.

In Rotterdam they had a festival of speed type thing for a few years running, F1 cars would dragrace each other and they had some F3 and Renault Formula cars doing a street-circuit, that was awesome but I think the main-sponsor pulled out.

Cant see any new street circuit ever in the UK, or for that matter rest of Europe

but..

With the expansion of Formula E there might be a chance of getting a race outside London. Realistically its more likely to be in Brum but Sheffield has a whole bunch of hitech companies and research that might have something to gain if it came here. Id be up for that.

http://www.fiaformulae.com/

I think the circuit would be too long. How about Commercial street, Arundel Gate / Eyre Street (not sure what is where), Left onto the ring road, left and past the station to Park square and back up commercial street. There's some open space for grandstands on the dual carriageway section near St Mary's Gate, past the station and at Park square.

Of course there would need to be a pits area (maybe on the Parkway at the other side of Park square roundabout).

The biggest problem would be that Silverstone has got a stranglehold on the British Grand Prix. Whatever happened to Brands Hatch? And Donnington has never had a look-in.

How about going after the Electric series? The two races last weekend were on a very poor (too narrow and too bumpy) circuit.

I reckon that going after the E series would give a lot more street cred to Sheffield.

Another thought. How about a course on any 2 of Carlisle Street, Saville Street and Attercliffe road. Go out on one and back on another. That would leave the third road as the way of getting to and fro for ordinary people during all the testing, practice and racing.

Edit. Ah I see WalkleyIan has mentioned Formula E.

Cant see any new street circuit ever in the UK, or for that matter rest of Europe

but..

With the expansion of Formula E there might be a chance of getting a race outside London. Realistically its more likely to be in Brum but Sheffield has a whole bunch of hitech companies and research that might have something to gain if it came here. Id be up for that.

Sheffield has some of the top design houses in the country, not only design and mechanics but advanced polymers, lightweight steels, advanced welding, there's the AMRC with Rolls Royce and Boeing the possibilities are endless.

A world class road race would definitely be one to put on the calendar.

but..

yep, my first thoughts too

At the race meets I've been to they normally have a range of races such as BTCC along with Formula ford and Cosworth Class.

My thoughts were to equal the success of the Grand Depart. The reason I chose that particular route was that it circles the city, may not be the most practical or workable

But we are only half an hour in to something that could be mega.