Sheffield F1 Grand Prix

Edit. Ah I see WalkleyIan has mentioned Formula E.

never mind the more I think about it the more it appeals.

I think formula E is going to be bigger than we realise. Lets face it F1 is dying on its feet (wheels) in Europe. I watched the first 3 laps then fast forwarded the Austrian GP. Excited for the British GP, but only because its a home event.

Sheffield has the tech companies and the Universities plus a certain off the wall quirkiness which it sits nicely in.

Well that was a mistake wasnt it of them!

Would have been ideal and could have been used for track days and formula e too.

Better than ripping it up and saves it for future use as an airport again.

God bless the people in power and their greased palms.

never mind the more I think about it the more it appeals.

I think formula E is going to be bigger than we realise. Lets face it F1 is dying on its feet (wheels) in Europe. I watched the first 3 laps then fast forwarded the Austrian GP. Excited for the British GP, but only because its a home event.

Sheffield has the tech companies and the Universities plus a certain off the wall quirkiness which it sits nicely in.

I totally agree. Sheffield could try to get on as close to the ground floor as possible.

Id love it if they had the foresight to actually do this.

At last an event id like to attend.

Its discussions like this that make things happen.

Start the conversation, in the pub, at work, at school, on social media.

If enough people give it their backing, then the people that have the power to make it happen, will make it happen.

Well that was a mistake wasnt it of them!

Would have been ideal and could have been used for track days and formula e too.

Better than ripping it up and saves it for future use as an airport again.

God bless the people in power and their greased palms.

I don't know how true it is, but I remember reading that it opened with a comparatively short runway (and could never be extended as the Parkway is in the way), just as the low cost airlines were standardizing on aircraft which required a longer runway. As a result, it could never be anything other than a niche airport, mostly for business use. Don't know if there was any truth in this.