Chocolate is good for us.

Recent reports reckon the Medics are saying chocolate is good for us,it apparently helps prevent heart attacks and strokes.One newspaper said the equivalent of two Mars Bars a day was about the right amount.So should we all go out and buy tons of chocolate and start stuffing ourselves? Can't wait until the Medics announce Fish and Chips are as healthy as this.

Fish and chips are healthy.

Especially when you have deep fried mars bar for a pudding.

Chocolate is good, long live the Chocolate.

Not healthy if the're fried in dripping or Trans Fats.

I think that everything in moderation is the key. Yes, there are compounds in chocolate which are good for us, particularly the theophyllines and the flavonoids, but there are also an awful lot of calories in chocolate, and whilst the really helpful chocolates are the very deep, dark ones, the majority of people eat milk chocolate which is high in fat, sugar and calories, which aren't really helpful for the body.

Culture a taste for really dark chocolate with very high cocoa solids, and eat a few squares of it a day :)

One day some scientist says drinking 2 glasses of wine is beneficial, the next day some other bod disputes it. One day blueberries are a superfood, the next it's accai berries (or whatever)

Load of old bobbar.

As Medusa says, moderation and a balanced diet. Oh, and exercise...that's well worth doing.

Recent reports reckon the Medics are saying chocolate is good for us,it apparently helps prevent heart attacks and strokes.One newspaper said the equivalent of two Mars Bars a day was about the right amount.So should we all go out and buy tons of chocolate and start stuffing ourselves? Can't wait until the Medics announce Fish and Chips are as healthy as this.

The consumption of chocolate made my heart as strong as an ox, but it also gave me a body to match. :cry:

I have always hated dark chocolate because its so bitter, until I tried Lindt's.

I eat Lindt's 90% cocoa chocolate now, because shock, horror, it's not bitter. However, its so rich I can only eat two pieces each evening. :o

Does anyone remember Cadbury's Bournville chocolate? In the Seventies, that was the main dark chocolate bar around. I tried some recently and couldn't eat it because it was so sweet and so was Ye olde Jamaica rum chocolate bar.

Nah - it was said a couple of years ago or something that it could help prevent heart disease, and recently stroke...

honestly, chocolate's nice, but I don't think it can/will...

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/chocolate-probably-won-t-protect-you-heart-disease-and-stroke

I think that everything in moderation is the key. Yes, there are compounds in chocolate which are good for us, particularly the theophyllines and the flavonoids, but there are also an awful lot of calories in chocolate.

Why dont they put the good bits in a pill?

Does anyone remember Cadbury's Bournville chocolate? In the Seventies, that was the main dark chocolate bar around. I tried some recently and couldn't eat it because it was so sweet and so was Ye olde Jamaica rum chocolate bar.

I went to a chocolate tasting evening at Cocoa Wonderland and amongst all the single bean varieties from Grenada and whatever they slipped in some Bournville. Like you I remember it being dark and bitter but that was before we had anything other than the milkiest sweet stuff. The Bournville tasted horribly sweet and nasty compared to some of the chocolate we can get today.

Why dont they put the good bits in a pill?

The answer maybe something to do with big pharma :suspect: There is a huge amount of money made from statins and BP meds etc.

EDIT: http://healthyeater.com/dark-chocolate-best-and-worst

Edited by Janus
Link to choc

Has anyone tried Aldi Chocolate.Not the more expensive stuff but their value 30p a bar version.It tastes like Lindt! Asda's 30p version is also lovely but can't think what it reminds me of.As for the other supermarkets value range it is not very nice but each to his/her own. Great news for me thought,this chocolate "pass"